What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Strain review: Indiana Bubblegum

jd4083

Veteran
(Based upon the Standard Review Guide v. 1.0 - slightly modified.)

Visual Appeal: Rate the visual appeal of the buds from 1-10 unappealing-excellent.
9 – This original Indiana-bred Bubblegum clone produces lovely herb, with a striking combination of the trichome-frosted light green of the calyxes and the thin, leggy burnt-orange pistils. This contrast is complemented by the deep purple “sugar leaves” which are so dark that they almost appear black in natural lighting. This particular cut of Bubblegum is prone to throw very pronounced foxtails late into flower, and it should be noted that this is a result of genetic influence and not nitrogen toxicity, which is the major cause of foxtailing in most circumstances.

Visible Trichomes: Rate the visible trichome content from 1-10 none-totally covered.
8 – While there are other more “modern” genetics which may outshine the Bubblegum, the cut remains an extremely resinous contender in the appearance department. In today's breeding community, strains are often bred with a focus on “bag appeal” and yield in the progeny selection. It is important to note that, as with any plant, selecting phenotypes for appearance or yield often means that something else will be missing – flavor, smell, or, most importantly, a well-rounded high. This is a fantastic example of a strain with excellent bag appeal that does not sacrifice quality or yield in order to produce beautiful flowers.

Use an X to indicate the colors that are present in the trichome heads under magnification or list the percentages of each color for a more precise report.

Clear [10%] Cloudy [80%] Amber [10%] Dark [ ]
This particular batch was actually taken a bit later than I typically prefer – because of the potency, I like to leave 20 to 30% of the glandular trichome heads clear and the rest cloudy, with as little amber as possible. When taken a bit longer, as with this sample, the effects can be positively devastating, especially for new or light smokers.

Bud density: [7] Rate the bud density from 1-10 airy-dense. For samples that are not in their natural state leave this field blank.
This one is a bit tricky – although the strain as a whole is much “fluffier” than many other Afghan-based indica-dominant genetics, the main colas are extremely tight and compact, while the lower “popcorn” buds (aka “larf”) are quite airy and fill much more volume than the tops do. Whereas a typical strain I have in my stash might fit up to two ounces into a quart mason jar, I have a difficult time stuffing even one ounce into the same space with the Bubblegum.

Use numbers 1-9 on descriptors that apply to the aroma of freshly broken bud where a one indicates a subtle presence and 9 indicates a pronounced presence. Delete the existing space when marking a descriptor in order to maintain the columns in alignment.

Ammonia [ ] Earthy [8] Licorice [ ] Peach [ ] Berry [2] Floral [2] Mango [ ] Pepper [ ] Blueberry [ ] Fruit [2] Meat [ ] Petroleum [0] Bubblegum [2] Grape [ ] Melon [ ] Pine [ ] Cedar [ ] Grapefruit [ ] Menthol [ ] Pineapple [ ] Cherry [ ] Grass/Hay [ ] Mint [ ] Rotten [ ] Chocolate [ ] Hash [ ] Mold [5] Skunk [1] Citrus [2] Iron/Rust [ ] Musk [2] Spice [2] Coconut [ ] Leather [ ] Nutmeg [ ] Strawberry [5] Coffee [1] Lemon [ ] Orange [ ] Vanilla [ ]

Aroma [8] Rate the aroma from 1-10 repulsive-delightful. Use freshly crumbled bud for best results.

This clone reeks through several bags and even the occasional jar, but not with the fuel/rotten meat smell that one might expect from an Afghan-based strain such as Bubblegum. Rather, the smell is extremely earthy to say the very least, yielding only slightly to an odd and difficult-to-place sweet and sour odor with a hint of camphor on the tail end when broken up.

Seed content [0] Rate seed content from 0-10 none-fully seeded.

I can't get this clone to throw a seed if I try – very stable genetics with excellent characteristics for out-crosses as well as back-crosses and inbreeding.

Weeks cured [1] If known enter the number of weeks your sample has been cured.

One of the few strains I have in my stable that are as delicious freshly-cut and dried as they are when cured for a long period of time. After about two months I notice that the camphor smell as well as the “sour” part of the sweet-and-sour odor mentioned above tend to come a bit closer to the surface, but the earthy backbone remains and continues to dominate the senses.
============================== ====================
THE SMOKE TEST
============================== ====================

For the smoke test, I chose my favorite “spoon” and cleaned it well (perhaps excessively) so as to provide the best platform to judge the flavor from. As always, I prefer dry pipes as they pass on much more of the flavor than do wet pieces, and also seem to provide the most well-rounded high.

Use numbers 1-9 on descriptors that apply to the taste where a one indicates a subtle presence and a nine indicates a very pronounced presence. Delete the existing space when marking a descriptor in order to maintain the columns in alignment.

Ammonia [ ] Earthy [7] Licorice [ ] Peach [ ] Berry [2] Floral [2]
Mango [ ] Pepper [ ] Blueberry [ ] Fruit [1] Meat [ ] Petroleum [ ] Bubblegum [4] Grape [ ] Melon [ ] Pine [2] Cedar [ ] Grapefruit [ ] Menthol [4] Pineapple [ ] Cherry [ ] Grass/Hay [ ] Mint [4] Rotten [ ] Chocolate [ ] Hash [4] Mold [ ] Skunk [ ] Citrus [2] Iron/Rust [ ]
Musk [ ] Spice [ ] Coconut [ ] Leather [ ] Nutmeg [ ] Strawberry [ ] Coffee [ ] Lemon [4] Orange [ ] Vanilla [ ]

Note: while I have noted a “Citrus” flavor and smell, this is only for the fact that both have a sour note to them, not necessarily a specific citrus influence. With that said, the best example I can use to describe this flavor and smell is a key lime – a distinct and decidedly sharp sour flavor and odor, but with a very hashy, sweet backbone that is, once again, dominated by the earthiness that is this strain's trademark.

Taste [7] Rate your impression of the taste from 1-10 unpleasant-delicious.

Positively delicious, but I'm a stickler when it comes to this particular realm of cannabis tasting, and while the Bubblegum has a very well-rounded flavor profile it is also a bit dull in comparison to other strains. As always, the earthy taste far outshines the other flavors in the buds, with a sweet, hashy note at the end that is without a doubt the reason why the strain got its name...one can certainly taste the “bubblegum” in the bud, especially towards the back end.

State of dryness [5] Rate the dryness of the bud from 1-10 wet-dry where 5 is ideal.

Smokeability [9] Rate the smoke ability of the sample from 1-10 harsh-smooth.

Very smooth, even without a cure – if properly grown and “flushed,” expect thick white smoke that does not expand in the lungs much. Very easy to smoke too much of this, as the way this strain smokes often tricks less experienced heads into thinking that this is not a powerful strain.

Smoke expansion [5] Rate how the smoke expands in the lungs from 1-10 stable-explodes.

Dosage [2-3] Enter the number of hits taken to reach desired effects.

I am an extremely heavy smoker and I have to watch my step with this girl – very easy to overdo it and end up glued to your couch for the rest of the evening.

Effect onset [5] Rate how quickly the effect hit from 1-10 immediate-major creeper.

Not much “creeper” here, very direct and in-your-face (literally and figuratively) – with that said, the high starts out very smooth and clear-headed, almost more of a cerebral high than a body buzz, which eventually gives way to the crippling indica effects after the high “peaks.” This Bubblegum cut can be a great daytime smoke, especially if vaporized, but it must be taken in small doses in order to achieve this effect, otherwise the buzz can become overwhelming quite quickly.

Sativa influence [4] Rate the sativa influence detected from 0-10 none-extreme. Sativa influence is best described as a clear and energetic mental effect.

Indica influence [6] Rate the indica influence detected from 0-10 none-extreme. Indica influence is best described as a sedative, lethargic or numbing effect that affects the body.

As mentioned above – the more you puff, the more “indica” in effect the high tends to become.

Potency [8] Rate the potency of the sample from 0-10 none-devastating.

Duration [2-3] Indicate the number of hours the effects lasted.

Even heavy smokers with high tolerances will notice an especially long-lasting high with a longer “afterglow” effect than many other common strains. Newer smokers can expect to spend up to 3 hours stumbling between their couch and their refrigerator before the effects fully wear off.

Tolerance build up [4] Rate how quickly tolerance builds from 0-10 none-rapid. Leave this field blank if you have not used this sample repeatedly.

While the “ceiling” is easy to hit if you smoke enough in one day, tolerance to this strain takes longer to attain than many others in my personal experience. When this cycles in I smoke almost nothing but the Bubblegum for weeks at a time with no noticeable increase in tolerance.

Usability [ ] Rate on a scale of 1-9 where a one indicates the worst time of day to consume this strain and a nine represents the ideal time of day. Leave field(s) blank if you have not yet formed an opinion.

Morning - wake up [1] Day - work [3 ] Evening - relax [9] Night - sleep [8]

Overall satisfaction [8] Rate your overall satisfaction from 1-10 poor-Holy Grail.

A lovely, well-rounded plant that is a joy to grow and even more of a pleasure to smoke.

Ability and conditions [9] Rate your overall ability to judge from 1-10 low-high. Consider experience, strain familiarity, atmosphere, current tolerance and most importantly the condition and preparation of the sample.

Judging from the sample alone do you personally consider this
strain a keeper for long term use? Yes [X] No [ ]

Absolutely a keeper. With any luck, this will never leave my side.

And of course, can't forget a few photos...

nbg3.jpg

bg1.jpg

nbg1.jpg

nbg2.jpg

freshbg1.jpg

Bonghitz

Great review! Very thorough. Interesting about the density gradient from lower buds to colas.
I've always wondered...how does it stack up to BOG's Bogbubble? I heard BOG's is from seeds of White Label bubblegum which originally came from the Indiana Bubblegum line.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
im glad i got one in flower and she is huge and lookin great prob wk 3 or 4 gonna take her 9 startin to nug up huge and has such a pleasent scent to her.... really hope my flowers look like that,,, they look like they gonna soon enough

You for sure have a winner there bro.She has made many a head happy at Panic shows for years now.I grew it and smoked it, a great plant bro.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I ran Indiana Bubblegum indoors and out

I ran Indiana Bubblegum indoors and out

I smoked her both indoors and out ... made hash from her... shes a pretty plant and yields well ... but I didnt find her to be a keeper. Glad you enjoyed her. I ran her a few times.... to be honest though im not big on the sweeter flavors .. enjoy the fuely stuff the most. Just my .02 :) Shes not a keeper in my garden.

jd4083

Veteran
Great review! Very thorough. Interesting about the density gradient from lower buds to colas.
I've always wondered...how does it stack up to BOG's Bogbubble? I heard BOG's is from seeds of White Label bubblegum which originally came from the Indiana Bubblegum line.

Never ran a BOG seed my friend, so I can't speak from experience there. I received this one after many years of enjoying the bud and finally getting in the "circle" to get the cut. :tiphat: not even real sure on the lineage, but I've been assured that it is legit, real deal Indiana BG, and I believe it.

How many days to achieve the 80% amber trics?

I dunno how many days for 80% amber, probably quite a while! haha...if ya meant 80% cloudy, you can lop her down anywhere from 7.5-8.5 weeks depending...

I smoked her both indoors and out ... made hash from her... shes a pretty plant and yields well ... but I didnt find her to be a keeper. Glad you enjoyed her. I ran her a few times.... to be honest though im not big on the sweeter flavors .. enjoy the fuely stuff the most. Just my .02 :) Shes not a keeper in my garden.

lovely plants! I can feel ya on not a keeper...many people feel the same way...with the newer crosses, so much variety, I can see where she might get relegated to a lower spot on the list. Personally though, I've fueled myself out...haha....just don't enjoy the diesels and the chemdawgs anymore, in terms of flavor and effect. Hell, even the NYCD clone we have out here is the "grapefruit" one - not really any fuel to that one either. (And I know that NYCD isn't "really a diesel" anyways, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms :dance013:)

thanks for posting guys...

jd4083

Veteran
:tiphat: looks like my pics went down with my server, so here's a new upload of the one used for the real review in The Cannasseur article I did:

bg3wm.jpg

G

Guest3498

Looks killer nice work man. Smoked on a bit of this last year after a friend grew her. Was dropped in lieu of the rest of the diesels and chems and such but I definitely understand why you like her so much. That sugary earthy taste sure is nice, and holy shit did those buds have amazing bag appeal.

jd4083

Veteran
Looks killer nice work man. Smoked on a bit of this last year after a friend grew her. Was dropped in lieu of the rest of the diesels and chems and such but I definitely understand why you like her so much. That sugary earthy taste sure is nice, and holy shit did those buds have amazing bag appeal.

thanks dude :tiphat: yeah, they're gorgeous buds man...just really great all-around flowers for sharing with good friends and family, not too strong for the older folks, but still potent enough to keep the young heads from complaining :laughing: for me though, what you said about the taste is on point...and the smell...just total earthy, sweet deliciousness. love it...thanks for posting dudes