Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > IC Magazine > Website Support > hipmarket downloading data

Thread Title Search
hipmarket downloading data Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2018, 02:16 PM #1
Robrites

Robrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivor
hipmarket downloading data

Every time I open a page on ICMAG, I am getting data from hipmarket dot com.
Who the hell is hipmarket and why is ICMAG allowing them to download data to my computer?

Legal Weed is the fastest growing industry in the United States.

Robrites is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:27 PM #2
Robrites

Robrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivor
Found only 1 review

"Visiting this site may lead to negative visitor experience due to the past actions of the owners of this site which may include: distribution of malware, drive by viral downloads, or spamming."

Old 05-16-2018, 05:22 PM #3
Skip
Let's Get Small!

Skip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond repute
That's our site that puts the ads on this site. So yes, "data" is coming from there to serve the banner. We are not taking your data.

Did you get a link with that notice to challenge the report? Also what browser are you using? or what reported this?
Thanks for reporting it.

We were hacked once on that site about 10 yrs ago... someone has a long memory apparently.

"Prohibition is the gateway to fascism." - Treewizard

Last edited by Skip; 05-16-2018 at 05:50 PM..
Skip is offline Quote

Old 05-16-2018, 05:38 PM #4
dufous

dufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nicedufous is just really nice
Ads are data.
dufous is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:48 AM #5
Robrites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
That's our site that puts the ads on this site. So yes, "data" is coming from there to serve the banner. We are not taking your data.

Did you get a link with that notice to challenge the report? Also what browser are you using? or what reported this?
Thanks for reporting it.

We were hacked once on that site about 10 yrs ago... someone has a long memory apparently.
Does "our site" mean a site icmag owns?
I use the Firefox browser.
Firefox says "transferring data from hipmarket.com"

If I click on the banner, I expect to get a tracking cookie from hipmarket and what ever site they send me to. I get one just from viewing icmag. That ain't cool, that ain't right. Weed is legal where I live but is not legal in most places.

It is child's play for Law Enforcement to get data from hipmarket and prosecute the majority of icmag users.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:43 AM #6
TychoMonolyth

TychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivorTychoMonolyth is a survivor
Ever notice how you can search google for a lawn mower, then Facebook shows you lawnmower ads?

Hip Market is a cannabis product seller. If they have an ad, they'll drop a cookie on your PC. They can't read anyone else's cookies, but they can, and many cases do share cookie data with others in exchange for some in return. Especially the ad broker (the company feeding the ads).

You could also be hijacked. Get PAID virus software (like norton).

2018 Season's Post Mortem and Best Practices

~

Silverback's Threads: the Complete Collection
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=299104

Julian's Massive Outdoor Grow thread
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=62895

------------
TychoMonolyth is offline Quote

Old 05-17-2018, 03:29 AM #7
Robrites

Quote:
Originally Posted by TychoMonolyth View Post
Ever notice how you can search google for a lawn mower, then Facebook shows you lawnmower ads?

Hip Market is a cannabis product seller. If they have an ad, they'll drop a cookie on your PC. They can't read anyone else's cookies, but they can, and many cases do share cookie data with others in exchange for some in return. Especially the ad broker (the company feeding the ads).

You could also be hijacked. Get PAID virus software (like norton).
I am pretty security conscious (that is why I noticed hipmarket) and do have paid programs for protection. I just do not think it is acceptable for a website of this nature (icmag) to allow third party cookies just for viewing the site. If I click on an ad, then sure...

Just while writing the above, 3 times my browser has informed me that it is connecting to hipmarket.com. and now again..

Old 05-17-2018, 03:31 AM #8
Skip
Let's Get Small!

Skip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond reputeSkip has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, everytime it refreshes a banner it links to hipmarket to load it, so what?
Do you have a cookie from hipmarket on your computer, or are you freaking out over nothing?

If you're that concerned, you can use private browsing mode in most browsers these days.
Or you can just refuse cookies, which btw, you shouldn't have from hipmarket.

You say you're concerned, so you should have those set, so you don't get worried like this.

BTW, we are currently testing different banner delivery methods so your mileage may vary.
But when it refreshes, it's in an iframe, so no cookie necessary.

If you click on a banner, then it's up to the advertising site as to whether they put a cookie on your computer.
IC Mag like most websites does put a cookie on your computer if ask for the site to remember you when you login.

Also while we're at it, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that takes effect next week in Europe, pretty much doesn't affect ICMag.
It concerns personal privacy, but it is geared to websites that require you use your real name when you register, which we don't do.
We also advise ppl to not use their primary email addy, esp. if it contains a real name to register here or any website.

Anonymity provides a certain amount of privacy. We are not Facebook!

"Prohibition is the gateway to fascism." - Treewizard

Last edited by Skip; 05-17-2018 at 03:47 AM..
Skip is offline Quote

Old 05-17-2018, 03:42 AM #9
Robrites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Yes, everytime it refreshes a banner it links to hipmarket to load it, so what?
Do you have a cookie from hipmarket on your computer, or are you freaking out over nothing?

If you're that concerned, you can use private browsing mode in most browsers these days.
Or you can just refuse cookies, which btw, you don't have from hipmarket.

You say you're concerned, so you should have those set, so you don't get worried like this.
Yes, I and everyone that uses icmag has a cookie on their computer from hipmarket. Check-you will find it.

ICMAG used to be a leader in the industry for protecting their users. Apparently that is no longer true.

I have found a way to block hipmarket cookies.
first, delete the cookie and then install NoScript.

NoScript allows me to mark their cookie as Untrusted.

https://noscript.net/

Old 05-17-2018, 03:55 AM #10
Robrites

Proof Positive

2 members found this post helpful.