What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Ebb and Flow Pros In Here?

catalyte

Veteran
whats everyone's favorite medium for Ebb n flow table growing?

Coco, Rockwool or Hydroton/Grow Stones?

I have used all but Coco but i'm paranoid to try Coco for Ebb and Flow because i read that Canna does not recommend that method for their Coco and i know they have the best Quality Control on the stuff they bag. They say that the CEC of the Coco will eventually leach sodium and potassium back into the reservoir and bind with your nutrient solution and lock certain elements out.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
whats everyone's favorite medium for Ebb n flow table growing?

Coco, Rockwool or Hydroton/Grow Stones?

I have used all but Coco but i'm paranoid to try Coco for Ebb and Flow because i read that Canna does not recommend that method for their Coco and i know they have the best Quality Control on the stuff they bag. They say that the CEC of the Coco will eventually leach sodium and potassium back into the reservoir and bind with your nutrient solution and lock certain elements out.

it can be done with coco ...... but you better be up on your game & know exactly what your doing & feeding ! plus you better like cleaning rez's often lol

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If using an open tray, instead of filling it with medium, use self draining pots, like air pots, or even cheaper, net pots.

Where I live mosquitoes are inevitable, so I have to have lids on anything that holds water

Having used rw, and hydroton, I much prefer ornamental stones of various sizes

View attachment 411458 View attachment 411459

kilacaLIbud

I run greentree set up. One room with 50 plants and 1 brain. The other with 220 with 2 brains and 2 resis. I only feed once per day half strength veg +bloom ro. In veg u till about 2nd week flower up it a day once the roots have filled the bottom of the bucket I kick another feeding to them. About week 3 flower I use grow stones and or hydroton and rockwool grow chunks around 4x4s Heavy mycos and azos

Dirt Bag

I use Growstone and Hydroton mixed 3 to 1, respectively, a Hydrofarm Mega Garden ebb&flow table (that holds 16 5x5x7 pots) for veg under a single 250w CFL, fed Vertigro nutrients according to their directions for 15 minutes every 4 hours 24/7

After 2 weeks these move to a 2' x 4' Botanicare ebb and flow table with a 40 gallon reservoir under a single Kind 600 LED, fed GH Flora @ 5ml/gal each + 3ml/gal Botanicare Calmag Plus every 3 hours during the day and once in the middle of the night.

After 2 weeks they move to a Botanicare 4' x 8' ebb and flow table with a 100 gallon reservoir under 3 Hortilux 1k (2HPS, 1MH) fed GH Flora for 10 minutes every other hour during the day and once in the middle of the night.

I found fewer floods was causing symptoms that mimic deficiency, light burn, and/or nutrient burn.

I also have had excellent results with DIY ClearRez which I add once/week. Never any ickiness.

Last edited:

Goats

4-Altho I don't need to, I run regular water, well water in my case. through the tops of the pots with a water wand type waterer with the nozzle head removed every 2 weeks when I change the nute solution and clean the table up. It washes any nutes/built up salts out and gets the coco ready for the next 2 weeks of feeding. I could in all honestly do this but once every month or so but it's become a habit for me over the years. To each their own. Years ago I used Clearex once a month but found the water was removing more of the stuff in the pots.

my man rr spreading the knowledge! listen to everything this man says on flood and drain in coco. i have been running it for about a year now and rr has been a great resource with his vast experience.

i quoted his last answer because this one has been especially important for me. i run jacks hydro and it sticks to coco like glue. i had a run where i didn't run water through my plants once and they all got buildup/lockout.
i now give them a flush with clearex at least once/month and that problem is gone.

good luck :)