What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Amber in 15 minutes from cutting

jump117

Veteran
Quick Amber extraction from fresh Mazar and WW.
picture.php

This time there were three longer alco runs (3min + 3min + 2min).
Third run was a little green and resulted as sticky brown but still solid.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Three pieces were united in one. The flowers dried fast after alco washes .
picture.php

'Three in one' is broken to demonstrate it’s brittle.
picture.php

And repaired with lighter.
picture.php

Now, what's inside?
Most stalks are empty.
picture.php

picture.php

Some trichs still remain in deep caves .
picture.php

picture.php

In order to estimate the value of the trichs residue bho from dried flowers was made.
BHO solution was green.
picture.php

Amber and it's bho-residue addition.
picture.php

picture.php

Amber 85% + BHO 15% (approximately).

Last edited:

clide

Quick Amber extraction from fresh Mazar and WW.
picture.php

This time there were three longer alco runs (3min + 3min + 2min).
Third run was a little green and resulted as sticky brown but still solid.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Three pieces were united in one. The flowers dried fast after alco washes .
picture.php

'Three in one' is broken to demonstrate it’s brittle.
picture.php

And repaired with lighter.
picture.php

Now, what's inside?
Most stalks are empty.
picture.php

picture.php

Some trichs still remain in deep caves .
picture.php

picture.php

In order to estimate the value of the trichs residue bho from dried flowers was made.
BHO solution was green.
picture.php

Amber and it's bho-residue addition.
picture.php

Amber 85% + BHO 15% (approximately).

great post, very in depth. very nice pics of empty stalks. great idea.

rafe

oil

oil

Should the trim used in making iso oil be dry and frozen or wet and frozen. I froze it as soon as I got done trimming the plants. Lots of popcorn buds and trim. I ready to do this. Is 97% iso alcohol ok??

jump117

Veteran
metamorf - cheese glass iso

metamorf - cheese glass iso

Catch your chance to make the experiment.
Take a part to extract from fresh unfrozen,
another part - from fresh and frozen,
third one - dry and frozen and
fourth -dry and room temp.

Then you'll may compare and decide precisely which is better and best.
My own priorities are in the order of appearance.
'Fresh and frozen' requires pre-frozen solvent.
Frost makes water expand to ice and breaks waterkeeping plant cells, being defreezed they leak.

Look at the masterpiece - it's possible!
And... The winner is: cheese glass iso :D

32326IMG_3445.jpg

Probably waaay too strong for me though. Yield was about 1.5 gr from about 20 gr of trim
This was from about 10-15 grams of dried and cured A.M.S bud taken 8 weeks. Only one run, 15 secs of shaking with 97% isopropyl and then strain and cook off the iso. Took about two hours total, the strength? It was ridiculous, I gave it all away since it was way too much for me.

jump!

Last edited:

jump117

Veteran
where the fuck do you get marlboro lights with an orange filter?
In tobacco shop near my home in Moscow, Russia. :smoke: Why? Wrong color?

Maple_Leaf dried and re-humidified bud washed in two runs (3min+4min).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Excuse the phallic form it occurs spontaneously.

picture.php

picture.php

Jump!

ReeferRon

Greetings and salutations, Great thread! You have a photographers touch with that camera. Beautiful pictures and top notch information! Thank you.

gunnaknow

Good to see you over here, Jump! As Jump and I have been discussing on another forum, it might also be worth using alcohol that has been cooled in the freezer, on fresh plant material. Also the use of butane on fresh plant material. Oh and the use of laboratory grade filter papers. Great pics Jump, as always! ;)

Gunna

p.s. it looks as though we joined IC at the same time, Jump. I can't believe that it's been three years already!

jump117

Veteran
Hi Gunna! Three years.. as time goes by..
What do you think about that re-humidifying? How can we do it better and best?
Jump

gunnaknow

Yes, I like the idea Jump, if it genuinely produces the same results as fresh plant material. The dried material will reabsorb water like a sponge and pass it through each cell's membrane or plasmodesmata. I have used dried bud for water curing before and the buds just rehydrate to their full size again. On occasions when someone has given me overly dry buds, I put them in a jar or bag and smear a little water around the inside surface, before sealing. After a few hours the water has evaporated and been absorbed by the buds, giving them a softer, fresher feel. It's exactly how a cigar humidor works.

If, however one was trying to drastically hydrate the plant material then spraying the buds with a mist, inside a bag before sealing for a few hours would probably work but one wouldn't want to leave it sitting for too long or it might start to ferment and ruin the smell. One might also be able to speed up the process by placing the buds in a steamer, on a low setting. Fully rehydrating the plant material right through might not be necessary because it is only the surface of the plant tissues that will come into contact with the alcohol. Once the surface plant cells are fully rehydrated, it should be ready for extraction.

Gunna

gunnaknow

Hey Jump, do you think that it might be the fact that it's winter and that you're in freezing moscow that's causing all of your samples to come out so solid?

Regarding purity, have you thought about doing a side by side photo comparision of oil from dried material versus oil from fresh/rehydrated material, with all other variables (plant material, solvent, time, temperature etc) being the same? That would be worthwhile documenting.

Gunna

jump117

Veteran
... cigar humidor ... a steamer ... water curing

Gunna

Hey Gunna! You always generate good ideas.

In the last session I tried to rehydrate the bud in humidor style, as I usually do with overdried buds.
I was in hurry and missed some 'opened water' that wasn't useful for the process.
From this point of view a steamer probably would be more neatly and quick instrument. I'll try it.

But in terms of purity the water cure imo will give the best result. Farewell to smell!..
Btw WC flushing cistern provides required water refreshing with guarantee :smile:.

I was trying to do a photo comparision of oil from dried material versus oil from fresh/rehydrated material and will try more for sure.
Step by step and same to same.

Will you do this also? I need some help because of the depletion of a plant resources and fresh ideas ofcourse.

Regarding cold climate I see more potency in arctic to get diamonds instead of simple amber.

picture.php

Jump!

jump117

Veteran
No, 200 proof is a nonsense, it's very expensive and it will work only once. Look at the quote:

'Fractional distillation can concentrate ethanol to 95.6% by volume. This mixture is an azeotrope with a boiling point of 78.15 °C, and cannot be further purified by distillation.'

And more:

'Ethanol is less polar than water.'

'Because the ethanol molecule also has a nonpolar end, it will also dissolve nonpolar substances, including most essential oils and numerous flavoring, coloring, and medicinal agents.'

http://en.[B]wikipedia[/B].org/wiki/Ethanol

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
im familiar with the expense and means by which to achieve 200 proof. A buddy is a lab tech in an ethanol production plant and has access to the spigot.. this particular lab uses a molecular sieve instead of azeotropic distill.

in short, ive had a small amount of access to pure ethanol and have had slightly different grade results with the use of the 200 in place of the 95% alcohol gpa.

what i want to ask here is this

do you think its worthwhile to attempt to rig up a vacuum purging chamber using a aspirator for a common sink?

my problem has been that vacuum flasks and vessels designed to have a vacuum pulled on them are not of a shape that is easy to scrape out any oil... the oil has the be redissolved.

i figure it would make purging much easier with a vacuum.

i should note that i do not extract from fresh plant matter - though it looks like an excellent product

my extractions are based off of concentrates. I wash granulated resin powder for oil.. so i dont want any water soluble action in there.

Last edited:

jump117

Veteran
Hey Papulz, if I understood you right, you're going to extract oil from dry kif using 200 proof ethanol.
I started to copy/paste from wiki an answer for you, but stopped 'cos it's really off-topic. I didn't study this extraction. Excuse me.
I have more interest in ethanol refluxing for economy than in vacuum evaporation for smell keeping.
Vacuum filtration is good with no doubt, especially applied to very fine filters.
The description of 200 proof scares me a bit with words of (‘fatal over a short time period ‘,‘trace amounts of toxic benzene ‘) vs (3% of water).
They probably use 96% as input to get 200 proof after filters and absorbers, it would be better imo.

Jump