What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin - Storage/Stabilization/Consistency/Manipulation

Sandbox61

Wuddup everyone!

So I just wanted to start a thread talking about what everyone does with their rosin after you guys make it, other than the obvious of dabbin it! :biggrin:

Some topics I'd like to chat about are:
How do you guys store your rosin?
Does it turn into wax or butter?
How do you keep it stable?
I've heard of people manipulating their rosin to look like shatter and wax, has anyone tried this?

Lets have a dab and talk Rosin! :woohoo:

Shaman101

Ive tried room temp purging in a vacuum chamber, results will vary a lot, depending on strains, press time/temps. Ive also tried low heat purging to manipulate into shatter.

Same goes for rosin right off the press, always different according to temps, time, strains, and probably pressure.

Using aluminum freezer cold plates right after the press to cool the rosin through the parchment helps get shatter consistency right away, but watch out if you press low temps, and/or with certain hybrid strains, sativa in my experience, the shatter can be so glassy it flies everywhere as soon you unfold the parchment and/or try to collect with your tool.

Sandbox61

Ive tried room temp purging in a vacuum chamber, results will vary a lot, depending on strains, press time/temps. Ive also tried low heat purging to manipulate into shatter.

Same goes for rosin right off the press, always different according to temps, time, strains, and probably pressure.

Using aluminum freezer cold plates right after the press to cool the rosin through the parchment helps get shatter consistency right away, but watch out if you press low temps, and/or with certain hybrid strains, sativa in my experience, the shatter can be so glassy it flies everywhere as soon you unfold the parchment and/or try to collect with your tool.

Yeah, I've got varying results with different strains, temps, pressure, and time. You just have to find the right settings for each strain, and even batch.

That's interesting with the aluminum cold plates though. I did get a shattery result a couple times trying to collect right after pressing, but I was in a pretty cool room and it was cold outside so I'm guessing that's why it was so hard to collect.

What was the best result you got from vac purging it in room temperature, which consistency?

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
... I've got varying results with different strains, temps, pressure, and time. You just have to find the right settings for each strain, and even batch...... ....

Sandbox thanks for starting the thread. I am a rookie/virgin rosin squisher and have been searching for info on how to store, stability etc. Doesn't seem to be much out there. I am storing in silicone containers in my fridge but I do not know if this is best. Would freezing be better? How long would it remain viable when storing? If anyone finds info on this I'd sure appreciate you posting that. DD

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PTFE works well for long term storage but not much else. I've sent off a few paddies that were stored in parchment and PTFE, heard no complaints.

OilSlick is trialing their new material, FAP or FPE. It is claimed to be more inert and nonstick than anything else. May make picking up a dab troublesome later on.

I nabbed a few samples but they're stupid small, 3 or 4" squares. Suppose they'd be more useful to a dime bagger or for samples

G

Gr33nSanta

PTFE works well for long term storage but not much else. I've sent off a few paddies that were stored in parchment and PTFE, heard no complaints.

OilSlick is trialing their new material, FAP or FPE. It is claimed to be more inert and nonstick than anything else. May make picking up a dab troublesome later on.

I nabbed a few samples but they're stupid small, 3 or 4" squares. Suppose they'd be more useful to a dime bagger or for samples

how about the silicone pucks? good for long term storage? I bought a few from the smoke shop a while back and I have not really used them yet, I dont like the smell of them when they are empty so I was hesitant to use them for long term storage.

I just started keeping my rosin in parchment paper, in a newspaper, in the freezer. I am guessing the freezer is probably the best place to keep it, no?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is preferable but I think a fridge is fine.

I am thinking now that for longer term storage I will "condition" the rosin at room temperature for 7-10 days. Seems like a lot of it is buddering, which I prefer, but would rather know beforehand.

There are claims that terpenes or high terpene rosins bleed into silicon. I have yet to see this but have seen similar in parchment stored at room temperature. This from two strains out of dozens pressed, so perhaps possible but not common.

brown_thumb

Does anyone know how much resin and oils expand when frozen? I'm thinking of keeping my oil concentrates in small dropper bottles, sealed in vacuum bags and frozen. I don't want to break the bottles from expansion.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Mikell thanks for your help, @Gr33nSanta you as well.

Does anyone know how much resin and oils expand when frozen? ......

I doubt they would expand any in cold. Usually the other way around, heat causes expansion, you should be fine. DD

Starmstr

Argh. Seems like info is spotty at best. Pondering the process I have lots of questions:
1. Material(moisture content, age)
2. Consumables (parchment brand and rosin bags)
3. Time, Temp, Pressure.
4. Preservation

Shoot I'm still working on determining the best parchment for the press. I defiantly know 2 brands not to use. Reynolds is working but isn't perfect some times it will blow through.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check out Black Label Paper Company. I believe they have three grades and sell rolls/prefolds.

method187

Anybody having any luck with a consistent method to get rosin to stabilize at room temp?

Most of the stuff i'm pressing is able to be handled straight out of the fridge but at room temp it's like goo that just sticks to everything. Impossible to load into my shatter pen, etc.

I've bought rosin online that while sticky at room temp, can still be handled without sticking to everything it touches.

The Hermit

As for storing rosin, I use my cool-ish pantry to keep it in. I don't use the fridge because i live in a very humid area and every time i take stuff out of the fridge it immediately gets condensation on it, not what i need with my concentrates. I've found that if something's going to auto-budder then it will happen anyway whether it's in the fridge or not.

I've found that the Oil Slick branded ptfe paper Slick Sheet is the best for long term storage, parchment paper will eventually tear or leave fibres stuck to the rosin and will also absorb terpenes which is not ideal. The Slick sheet stuff can tear but it's lovely and non stick, no fibres and terp-proof.

As for storage pots, from what i've read the only ones that are 100% trustworthy are the Oil Slick ones, they're the ones that have a matt texture, not the glossy ones which are apparently cheap silicone rather than the fancy platinum cured stuff. If I'm spending all this time and energy making clean rosin, i don't mind paying a bit extra for quality storage if it means it won't spoil my product. I'm not spoiling the ship for a ha'penny of tar.

that's my 2€ worth!
Peace all!

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Any thoughts on budders in glass?

The common criticism seems to be removing the last few dabs.

Should have some other opinions on OilSlick's new product, FEP, soon.

Initial observations. It doesn't fold well (eg. keep a creased edge) and like PTFE, holds a static charge easily, you can watch it clean your air as light airborne particles are sucked onto the surface. Unlike PTFE, it is painfully obvious due to the clarity. I changed gloves twice to package up a few knobs the other day and ended up with a q-tip moistened with alcohol to wipe the FEP clean prior to sealing.

The static qualities makes one think either product may outperform parchment for static dry sift cleaning.

G

Gr33nSanta

As for storing rosin, I use my cool-ish pantry to keep it in. I don't use the fridge because i live in a very humid area and every time i take stuff out of the fridge it immediately gets condensation on it, not what i need with my concentrates. I've found that if something's going to auto-budder then it will happen anyway whether it's in the fridge or not.

I've found that the Oil Slick branded ptfe paper Slick Sheet is the best for long term storage, parchment paper will eventually tear or leave fibres stuck to the rosin and will also absorb terpenes which is not ideal. The Slick sheet stuff can tear but it's lovely and non stick, no fibres and terp-proof.

As for storage pots, from what i've read the only ones that are 100% trustworthy are the Oil Slick ones, they're the ones that have a matt texture, not the glossy ones which are apparently cheap silicone rather than the fancy platinum cured stuff. If I'm spending all this time and energy making clean rosin, i don't mind paying a bit extra for quality storage if it means it won't spoil my product. I'm not spoiling the ship for a ha'penny of tar.

that's my 2€ worth!
Peace all!
I was coming to this conclusion myself, I recently thought the freezer would be the best place to store my rosin only to find out 2 weeks later that the newspaper holding everything is getting ever so slightly damp from taking in and out of freezer too often. now I have to retransfer everything to new parchments, or I might put in silicon pucks and leave at room temps and forget about for a while.

KnowledgeJunkie

Stabilizing Rosin

Stabilizing Rosin

My rosin has become much more sticky and i was wondering what i can do to stabilize it again. i was previously able to pick it up with my hands now its way to sticky.

any suggestions?

i was thinking of putting it in my household oven at low temp to pull out some moisture just not sure if thats a good idea..

when it comes out from the fridge its fine but only for a min or two. its also in separated into 2 - 250 gram slabs

im looking to get it to the constancy similar to the Rosin coins produced by the Jungle Boys (looks much more stable)

any advice is appreciated ... Thank you

Below is a pic off if fresh the press and whipped by hand. it no loner can be whipped unless really really cold. but i'm afraid the constant cooling and warming is adding too much moisture

appreciated
attachment.php

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When was it made? Re: is ambient room temperature higher now than back then? Does it crackle when dabbed?

Dodge the oven.

At least with heat.

I use air tight containers with a desiccant pack to dry rosin with a high moisture content. For that quantity you could use large sheet cake pans in the oven (taped/sealed somehow) or an unplugged fridge. Line the pans with parchment and make the thinnest sheets you can. Toss in a RH gauge and add desiccant until RH is below 20-30. Refresh as needed. 7-14+ days to dry.

This is a salvage plan. Ideally you avoid this situation all together. Particularly overhandling.

Jungle Boy's are pressing low temp freeze dried (correction, dry sift) hash rosin. Very little manipulation and packaged before it budders. It only takes a few folds to homogenize.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts