What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

qu1nch0

Hello

Hera are some pictures of the selected female. I hace two more but I chose the fastest most vigorous anda more explosive pre flower.

The are been growing un my own soil mix (30% re used soil, 40% coco, 30% termophilic compost + native microorganism made by myself), anda feed with alfalfa extract, fish aminoacid, anda an FPJ Made wih disgarted males.

IMG_20220728_190115064.jpg

IMG_20220728_150910459.jpg

qu1nch0

Hi qu1nch0!!! What is the smell of this strain?
For now, it's very earthy anda woody, with an church-like scent.

Finally, because the male Is already sending a lot of pollen, I'm gonna cross it with the selected female of etíopia, also with a Nigerian female, and a nice selected Purple pheno PCK also from ACE.

I have not seen the cross Etíopia x PCK in ACE anda I'm curious of how it can turn out.

burningfire

Veteran
Talk about Vigour with a capital V. I topped it on the 27th to take a clone and it exploded.

View media item 18703276

I think #1 was a little rootbound in the solo cup, the others didn't seem to suffer the same way but since the transplant it seems like the nodes are spaced a little further apart. I still like how tight it is compared to others.

View media item 18703275

It will soon become unmanageable, I am waiting for the ones that were started later to grow a little more so I can take a clone, I'll trigger flowering and cull males.. I might keep one and prune it just to collect pollen and hit the CBD #1 with it, I have some of my NCH #3 fem pollen in the freezer, that is the cross I had in mind initially. I don't know if I'll get any Ethiopian pollen to hit the plants outdoors though.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi qu1nch0 i think it is extremely important to select females based on finished product although i understand you selected the fastest one if you are an indoor grower or don't have the climate for them. PCK works great when outcrossed to sativas, i have explained this several times in the PCK thread, take as reference Purple Pakistani Haze, Congo, Malawi x PCK, etc ...

thanks for the update @burningfire what's NCH ?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
The Ethiopian is tropical pure sativa and super clean in effects, so doesn't have tolerance limit, neither burnout or sedative final effects like some Bangi Haze phenos do (since BH contains a bit of indica).

The plant you showed looks very Nepalese highland x Chitral dominant, not very Haze dominant.
I bet the the addition of Ethiopian will help you to bring your poly hybrid to much more focused effects.

burningfire

Veteran
Yes, I selected it for 45N over the last 10 years, it works well for my climate, harvest on Oct 5-7 is at the peak IMO, at least subjectively. I called this the #3 line, I'm happy with the effect, it's very happy, a little buzzy, active without being racy, nothing too extreme but enough to make me a little anxious in certain situations. It still has a feeling of contentment. It does end a little sluggish but nothing too bad, at least with a harvest at that date.

The Nepal plant I selected from landrace seeds had godly hash but a crippling bud I wasn't too found of, the chitral made the smoke a lot smoother, in this selection I don't know what the haze brought.

I don't want to hijack the thread with unrelated pics but I had more diversity early on and had a #2 purple line but potency just wasn't there. It looked good though.

View media item 16050864
View media item 16050868

The Ethiopian read very interesting to me, The other interest I had was in the Honduras Mexican line, they seem similar on paper.

In my other experiments I crossed the NCH #3 with a punto rojo plant, I grew two plants and one of them was just too intense for me physically and mentally, just a surge of rushing energy with a sit me down buzz, everything was too tasty, too loud, too bright, so I figured I'd go with something a little less Colombian.

qu1nch0

Hi qu1nch0 i think it is extremely important to select females based on finished product although i understand you selected the fastest one if you are an indoor grower or don't have the climate for them. PCK works great when outcrossed to sativas, i have explained this several times in the PCK thread, take as reference Purple Pakistani Haze, Congo, Malawi x PCK, etc ...

thanks for the update @burningfire what's NCH ?

Hello, yes I now that's crucial. From six seeds I only got two females. Both of them will be crossed with the selected male, but the fastest and the one who grew the most, will have more seeds. Next run I'll put a bunch of these new ones, with the ones I have left from the pack, and cuttings from these ones, then I'll select based on the finished product.

The male was crossed with:
- Ethiopian (2 females)
- Nigerian (12 weeks, very frutilicius)
- PCK selected female (purple and fruity pheno)
- China Yunan (very resinous selected female)

The ethiopian female

Attachments

• IMG_20220803_173255351.jpg
    IMG_20220803_173255351.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20220803_173355637_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220803_173355637_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
lovely @qu1nch0 :) the female in your last post looks indeed promising.
Glad you also found a resinous China Yunnan to play with ;) please let us know more about her in the China Yunnan thread!

Lovely purple flowers @burningfire can clearly identify the foxtailed purple PCK expressions.
I don't know what Haze line did you use, Oldtimer's Haze ?
Such pheno crossed with Purple Oldtimer's Haze should produce wonders,
although it should contain enough influence from POTH for the effects you are looking for, and if that's not the case, then 'Haze it again' !

Last edited:

burningfire

Veteran
@dubi
yes, it was the OTH, this was over 10 years ago. I remember the plant smelling woody, creamy incense with an acidic touch.
Unfortunately the effects were very mild, smoked very smoothly though. I never had it tested, if I still had that plant now I might be interested in knowing what the cannabinoid levels were, since I have an interest in CBD now.
I popped a few seeds throughout the years but couldn't find anything with any potency, while the Nepalese mom had great potency it was an unworked landrace, I remember getting a short autoflowering jungli from those seeds, so that's not too surprising. I am also mostly an outdoor grower and at 45N it's hard to go to far into the haze territory

Last edited:

burningfire

Veteran
Just a quick update. out of the 8 plants I think half are male. The ones I highlighted at the beginning are both males, I have a bias for thin leaflets with deep serration, I will probably keep #1 and #8 to pollinate for crosses.

View media item 18703764
View media item 18703763
I think the soil was a little too hot for this one.

I'm probably going to cull #7, it's a lankier male. #3 is also a male and has tubby leaves this one's life hangs in the balance, I need more room for the females and my selection bias makes it not overly appealing.

I'll take pictures of the ones I suspect are females ( #2, #4, #5, #6 ) when there's a little more to show

The only smell I can notice in the grow currently was a clean and light pine smell.

burningfire

Veteran
another quick update.

The males, #7 is already gone.

I might cull #1, It doesn't have quite the same vigor as the other ones and it's very early, I saw a few mature sacks hanging. I don't know if there's any good reason to keep it.
View media item 18703828
#8 is vigorous as heck, not pictured is #5 it is also a male with more in common with #8 than #1, it was started a little later, I will probably keep #8 and #5 for my crosses.
View media item 18703829
The females are #2, #3, #4? and #6.

#2 is starting to flower
View media item 18703830
There's not much smell to any of the plants, I can sort of smell a mastic gum aroma if anyone is familiar with that. Just a clean and slightly sweet pine.

Last edited:

Lebanizer

another quick update.
[...]

There's not much smell to any of the plants, I can sort of smell a mastic gum aroma if anyone is familiar with that. Just a clean and slightly sweet pine.

That's always a very good thing to know... Ethiopian it is then for this winter :LOL:!

burningfire

Veteran
It's still early in flowering, I don't think they'll stink up the tent by the end of flowering but things may change.

Lebanizer

I've sown 5 seeds. For the first phase, once they pop, I'm going to let them grow and flower on my balconey, then when the weather gets too crappy, I'll move them inside.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
This pure Ethiopian (like for example Oldtimer's Haze) is really not a smelly sativa, quite the opposite, it's a very very stealthy indoor plant when smell can be a problem.

Like the look of the male #8 @burningfire sad cannot perceive more things from the screen.

Good luck with your Ethiopia grow! :) Thanks for your support. Please, keep us updated.