What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ACTINOVATE FUNGICIDE (Grey mold, Root Rot, Damping off, Powdery Mildew )

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
I consider Actinovate a walkin talkin' effin MIRACLE producing wonder product. A pal of mine relatively recently turned me on to this product that was under 20 dollars delivered from Greentrees for a 56 gram pack that claims to treat over 500 plants. :) The 18 ounce pack is about 100+ dollars U.S. for 9 times more product.
This OMRI and WSDA listed raw product is a water soluble powder.
Damping off of cuttings use to be my perpetual curse, but that curse has now been lifted since using actinovated H2o religiously with the babies. Bud rot was my friends NorCal coastal curse and his has also been lifted since discovering the actual savior inducing benefits of preemptive use of this product.

IMB :)

ACTINOVATE FUNGICIDE

Using beneficial microbes to manage plant pests isn't something new; farmers and gardeners have long been harnessing this power to control pest problems. By adding compost and other organic matter to soil you're encouraging a healthy soil ecosystem in which beneficial microbes keep pests microbes in check. And when a pest problem arises, microbes can come to the rescue in the form of milky spore, Bt and beneficial nematodes, all of which have been widely used for many years.

The active ingredient in Actinovate is a naturally occurring bacterium called Streptomyces lydicus strain WYEC 108. There are more than 500 species of streptomyces bacteria and they're generally found in rich soils that contain decaying organic matter — they're responsible for the distinct "earthy" odor we associate with moist, healthy soil.

The beneficial properties of various streptomyces bacteria have been known for years and have been used in naturally derived antibiotics, including its namesake, streptomycin.

The streptomyces bacteria species in Actinovate provides a similar service to plants by colonizing the roots and protecting plants from harmful fungi.
Applied to the foliage, it helps control leaf diseases.

Actinovate is a high concentration of a patented beneficial bacterium on a 100% water soluble powder.
This powerful new product effectively suppresses/controls a wide range of soil borne diseases including Pythium, Phytophthora, Fusarium, Rhizoctonia, Verticillium and other root decay fungi.

Actinovate is also labeled as a spray application for foliar diseases (when appled as a spray) such as Powdery and Downey Mildew, Botrytis, Alternaria and others.

In fact, when used as a preventative, researchers have seen Actinovate work as well or better than most chemicals.

The benefits of Actinovate don't stop there:
Because of the special properties of the Actinovate microbe, plants treated with Actinovate will be vigorous, have increased vitality and have much better root growth.

When Streptomyces lydicus strain WYEC 108 is introduced into the soil this microbe colonizes and grows around the root system of plants.
While settling in the root's rhizosphere, the microbe forms a relationship, feeding off of the plant's waste materials while secreting beneficial and protective by-products.
This combination of the colonization and the protective secretions forms a defensive barrier around the root system of the plant which in turn suppresses and controls soil pathogens. S. lydicus also has been shown to prey on certain pathogens, disrupting their cell walls and disabling them in the process.
Finally, the by-products of the Actinovate microorganism also aid plants in complexing minerals and micronutrients found in the soil, allowing easier uptake and, thus, creating a stronger, more robust plant.
This symbiotic relationship between the plant and the microbe is the optimum balance for a natural, productive soil environment.

Actinovate_Fact-Sheet
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/Assets/Information/Actinovate_Fact-Sheet.pdf
Manufacturer's complete product line information link.
http://naturalindustries.com/commercial/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111&Itemid=108

Last edited:

avant gardener

Veteran
the stuff works.
i had botrytis running wild in week 7.
lost 3/4 of the grow,
figured the rest would be fried before it dried and cured.
sprayed actinovate while i was chopping and it stopped the mold in its tracks.

very pleased.
strong recommend.

headees

the stuff works.
i had botrytis running wild in week 7.
lost 3/4 of the grow,
figured the rest would be fried before it dried and cured.
sprayed actinovate while i was chopping and it stopped the mold in its tracks.

very pleased.
strong recommend.

Was there any change in smell/taste/appearance of the treated buds?

avant gardener

Veteran
Was there any change in smell/taste/appearance of the treated buds?

apart from arresting the mold growth you mean?
nope.
the stuff is labeled for use up to and including the day of harvest.
it's clear and odorless,
not all thick and shit-smelling like serenade.
you can spray it with the lights on and you won't get any more burn or spotting than you would with clear water.

the makers of actinovate are not paying me to write this,
but maybe they should be.
:thank you:

headees

apart from arresting the mold growth you mean?
nope.
the stuff is labeled for use up to and including the day of harvest.
it's clear and odorless,
not all thick and shit-smelling like serenade.
you can spray it with the lights on and you won't get any more burn or spotting than you would with clear water.

the makers of actinovate are not paying me to write this,
but maybe they should be.
:thank you:

Wow sounds too good to be true, I actually ordered some a few days before this thread was started. I really hope it will stop this shit in its tracks, found a couple more infected colas today. :badday:
How much did you spray on your buds? Seems like Im going to have to kind of open up the colas and spray the stuff on the inside, because thats where the mold is. It going to be strange spraying water inside ready to harvest colas.:crazy:

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
damping off so this would be a solution to e z cloner failures?

slshemup

Wow sounds too good to be true, I actually ordered some a few days before this thread was started. I really hope it will stop this shit in its tracks, found a couple more infected colas today. :badday:
How much did you spray on your buds? Seems like Im going to have to kind of open up the colas and spray the stuff on the inside, because thats where the mold is. It going to be strange spraying water inside ready to harvest colas.:crazy:

would be a good idea to have a oscilating fan on at the hight where the buds are you have to open up a bit to spray to help remove any excess moisture after spraying.

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
damping off so this would be a solution to e z cloner failures?

I'd actually be surprised if it didn't work when used correctly.
This product is not all voodoo and bullshit like many new products tend to be lately (and historically.)
As far as spraying mature buds, imho, I would inoculate the water with actinovate 12 to twenty-four hours prior in order for it to incubate and become "swimming" with the proactive living organisms of bacterium Streptomyces lydicus strain WYEC 108.... ...spraying buds has always been counter intuitive, but this is the cure to the problem that spraying a bud would cause, another iron clad rule carved in stone bites the dust. :)

IMB :)

avant gardener

Veteran
headees-

once you've got visible mold in a bud, nothing is going to get rid of it. be really clear about that. the actinovate stopped mine from spreading once i had removed every trace of botrytis i could see, but this mold is virulent as hell and no product works miracles.

if you've got mold in there, you need to chop that shit out or you're going to lose the whole damn grow. no 2 ways about it. sorry to be the one to break that to you. anyway you don't want to spread it when you're chopping, so here's what to do.

protocol:
1. remove any infected material. the best thing to do is to chop the whole plant that is affected. don't just hack it down though. the spores are microscopic and will spread like wildfire. first, wet down any fuzzy parts with alcohol to keep the spores from becoming airborne. next put a trash bag over the plant in question before you cut it down. now get that thing out of your room, your house, your property. i would not advise it, but if for some reason you cannot or will not scrap the whole plant, do the same technique for any infected branch. cut it at least 6 inches from where you can see mold. wipe the stem with alcohol. again, this is inadvisable because botrytis is growing inside the flower before you can ever see it. if you see it one place on a plant, it's probably everywhere. that one dry sugar leaf may be the only telltale sign.

2.wash those clothes in hot water and borax before you wear them back in your garden.

3. keep your room as dry as possible. crank the dehumidifiers. let it get warm in there too. botrytis won't grow above 80° F. most folks would tell you not to spray anything at all. i would only recommend spraying actinovate. it's a biological fungicide that you can use up unti the day of harvest. it's clear and odorless. doesn't smell like shit like serenade does. it won't burn your flowers like green cure will either. you can pick up a pouch for less than $20.

4. keep a close eye on things. if you blink, it's liable to sweep through the whole room.

5. finish as quickly as possible. it sounds like you're almost done anyway so there's probably no need to flash ripen. as for the flush, get it done fast. use a leaching solution like florakleen or clearex. it'll speed things up considerably. cut your two week flush down to four or five days. it might not be ideal, but better to harvest slightly less than perfect flowers than to harvest a bunch of moldy rotted out colas.

6. just because you've cut your plants down doesn't mean the mold stops growing. be especially careful not to contaminate anything while drying and curing.

7. scrub the fuck out of everything in between grows.use physan for washing and a good fogger like fungaflor to make sure you've gotten everything.

BEST OF LUCK HOMEY!

headees

Avant, Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Yea Im trying to hold out about 5 more days so they can ripen fully, but maybe I should just cut right now? The actinovate will be here tomorrow, so Im hoping it will halt whatever is there enough for them to finish, and dry without further growth. I realize it wont remove whats already there though. Its 85 in my room with lights on, so its not really spreading fast.

Problem is the house Im renting has a pretty bad mold problem, its in the AC ducts and just about everywhere that is suitable for it to grow. Not much I can do about it except move, Im thinking it will be a futile effort to try to sterilize my rooms and think they would stay that way. Its just to well established in this house, and Im running an active exhaust system that uses air from the house. I really just need to run a sealed room again, or better yet move to another location, and run things like the CDC.:mopper:

headees

Just a heads up, did some reading and apparently you want to use this stuff within 8 hours after mixing. So storing any left over solution is not possible, just mix what you are going to use for the day.

This stuff sounds like a miracle product. Its cheap, and organic taboot. Going to use it tonight when the lights come on, Ive got high hopes.

avant gardener

Veteran
Avant, Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Yea Im trying to hold out about 5 more days so they can ripen fully, but maybe I should just cut right now? The actinovate will be here tomorrow, so Im hoping it will halt whatever is there enough for them to finish, and dry without further growth. I realize it wont remove whats already there though. Its 85 in my room with lights on, so its not really spreading fast.

Problem is the house Im renting has a pretty bad mold problem, its in the AC ducts and just about everywhere that is suitable for it to grow. Not much I can do about it except move, Im thinking it will be a futile effort to try to sterilize my rooms and think they would stay that way. Its just to well established in this house, and Im running an active exhaust system that uses air from the house. I really just need to run a sealed room again, or better yet move to another location, and run things like the CDC.:mopper:

yeah, rental properties can be a bitch like that. i've started using this stuff as a prophylactic.

excuse me for changing the subject, but...

i don't know what your tolerances are for synthetics, but bayer makes a systemic called flint.it's the only systemic fungicide i'm aware of that's: a. indicated specifically for botrytis, and b. labelled for food crops. according to the msds, it's pretty safe, relatively speaking, as chemical fungicides go. no known carcinogenic, mutagenic, or acutely toxic properties. it's widely used in commercial grape production. i wouldn't use it except in early veg and only in a situation where you know you're probably going to be battling mold. like if it's living in the ducts, or if you're doing outdoor in 707 where it's gonna be raining in late flower.

avant gardener

Veteran
ps. run dry koolbloom at 10 ml/gallon if you want to flash ripen your stuff. your flowers will finish in a couple days. i don't think you mentioned whether you're in soil or hydro, but if you're planning on flushing, you'll probably want to finish as quickly as possible. that mold is no joke dude.

headees

yeah, rental properties can be a bitch like that. i've started using this stuff as a prophylactic.

excuse me for changing the subject, but...

i don't know what your tolerances are for synthetics, but bayer makes a systemic called flint.it's the only systemic fungicide i'm aware of that's: a. indicated specifically for botrytis, and b. labelled for food crops. according to the msds, it's pretty safe, relatively speaking, as chemical fungicides go. no known carcinogenic, mutagenic, or acutely toxic properties. it's widely used in commercial grape production. i wouldn't use it except in early veg and only in a situation where you know you're probably going to be battling mold. like if it's living in the ducts, or if you're doing outdoor in 707 where it's gonna be raining in late flower.

I actually saw another post of yours where you mentioned Flint. I checked it out, its $300 for a bottle. If the Actinovate fails to stave off this stuff, I will pony up for it, but hopefully it wont come to that.

headees

ps. run dry koolbloom at 10 ml/gallon if you want to flash ripen your stuff. your flowers will finish in a couple days. i don't think you mentioned whether you're in soil or hydro, but if you're planning on flushing, you'll probably want to finish as quickly as possible. that mold is no joke dude.

I just sprayed them down with the Actinovate. Pretty much fully opened up all the colas that were big enough to be susceptible to the mold, and sprayed directly into all the core. I will be really fucked now if this stuff ends up not working, :eek:: but Im sure it will based on what you have said, and what Ive read about it. Just put a bunch of fans in there, to help dry them out.

Im running coco, I actually just gave them a good dose of KoolBloom to help speed up the ripening. Wasnt close to 10 ml per, I would think that would fry em, but I can see how it would make them finish.

I had this problem with the last round as well, lost about 20% which was all the biggest cola buds. This is looking to be the same deal, its only the biggest buds that are infected, the rest of the plant is fine. So Im hoping with the actinovate I can finish the rest of the crop normally and not loose much, if any more. I know its a gamble, but we'll see.

Im more worried about getting next round 100% mold free. Getting my AC fixed, and running it sealed again in hopes I can keep things more sterile. Just sprayed the ones in veg with the Activ, going to do it every week in flower, and see if that will handle it.

Thanks for your help/advice again :thank you:

Latest posts

Latest posts