What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3rd attempt at coco

Hey icmag I have 2 failed attempts at coco.so this third grow might be lucky.lol

I have DNA mills coco with cork.and mills nutrients
The coco has an ec of ec 1.2 can I flush before I use it this time ?.

I have taken some 1lt pots and flushed with ph 6 water and run off is reading ec 0.4 is this ok to start new seedlings in

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance Ronin4life

P.s the coco is brand new bags.

Last edited:

justanotherbozo

Veteran
...i've been growing in straight coco and feeding KISS style for almost a decade now and it's fucking EASY!

peace, bozo

I thought coco wasn't supposed too have feed no in it ? So I don't no why this stuff has ec1.6 from a new bag any ideas

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Sooo Im an organic soil guy, but i started out with dwc and have a bunch of bottles of stuff layin around.

Im currently interested in learning coco growing because most of the people I know on here use it.

I have done some light reading over on the rag but the threads there arent really what im looking for so why not do one here?

I picked up a brick of coco the other day, and I have soaked it but not rinsed or anything.

What does a rank newby need to do to this coco to get it ready ?

I have the meters, some GH micro and bloom, some maxicrop and kool bloom dry

some floraalicious and some protekt

Im not necesarrily trying to migrate away from organics, but ive run out of soil and dont want to wait 3 months to cook a batch

SO here I am, asking you guys , whats your tips and tricks for growing in coco?

SO now after a few months I have a few tips for coc from the vets here on the site:

Get the highest quality brick as you can find bagged coco has been known to carry bugs and pathogens
soak them until fully hydrated in a large tote 30-40gl or bigger - the large bricks i get expand to about 10gl medium
drain and rinse until the runoff is clear and your ppms are maybe 30-60 higher than your tap water and eliminate the sodium , if any
use powdered gypsum and epsom salts @ tbls per gallon of medium plus .165g/gl borax to soak medium overnight to buffer the coco and increase the cec as well as stabilize the ph
feed at around 1.2-1.3 ec or 600-750ppm @ph 5.8 the nutes of your choice
use hydroton or other aerating type mass at the bottom of your pots to raise the coco off the saucer/tray and avoid salt buildup as it dries
keep runoff from drying up in the saucer as this will cause salt buildup and can raise your ph rapidly casuing harm to your plants
avoid letting coco dry out like soil, this will also cause large ph swings and can harm your girls
im sure im firgetting things so add more tips at the end of this thread and ill insert here

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
I thought coco wasn't supposed too have feed no in it ? So I don't no why this stuff has ec1.6 from a new bag any ideas

Check your bag to see if the coir was "buffered"...it likely was.

What this means is the coir has been treated with cal/mag to fill the "cec bank"...Cation Exchange bank.

The ec you are reading is the cal/mag that is buffering the media so that it is ready to use.

This thread is found in the sticky section at the top of the coir subforum.....

"The Chemistry behind Coco Coir: a (strange) journey from ferts bottle to buds" by The_Cook.

Learn it, love it, live it......https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=307683

:tiphat:

Coco/peat

Coco/peat

Here is the pics.i just read that this is coco/peat mix.they don't list ingredients

Attachments

• 20180305_220723.jpg
    20180305_220723.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180305_220800.jpg
    20180305_220800.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180305_220806.jpg
    20180305_220806.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 9

Absolem

Caljim is correct.

The reason for the ec is because the coco has been buffered. Without the buffer in coco being filled correctly with Ca. Mg, and K plants will fry.

Caljim is correct.

The reason for the ec is because the coco has been buffered. Without the buffer in coco being filled correctly with Ca. Mg, and K plants will fry.

I had problems with burnt leafs going brow crispy and turning up the ec was ec1.6 when fed with plain water ?

Most grow shops said it was too high of an ec for fresh coco

Bottom leafs were affected first

I only tested 1 x 1ltr pot of coco with water to test run off

I had a 30cm pot potted up into 11ltr pot fed with ec0.8 run of was ec3.2