What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pvc solvent glue irrigation

Just windring if anyone has experience with PVC solvent glue when making irrigation manifold. Smells toxic as and wondering if it's not a good idea to use for several days, or at least until the smell is gone? It's the kind that melts the pvc a little when joining...

Limeygreen

Veteran
I personally prefer the red hot pvc glue but have used many types. I usually let it dry and cure if I can but have used within 15 minutes of gluing. It dries pretty fast but if you're worried leave it sit for 24 hours, flush it well, additionally time won't change anything.

2011rex87

I have seen the blue PVC cement used for joints in irrigation. The majority of dosatron systems that use automatic irrigation are connected using PVC pipe and of course some type of sealant/glue. Not sure if the irrigation water has been tested for contamination but I know this system is used in hundreds of hundreds (or more) of commercial grows (all types of plants).

Dosatron.jpg

Dosatron.jpg

Cool, will hook up to garden hose today and run a ton of water through. Be at least 24 hours later once I use it

queequeg152

Veteran
i have seen water quality tests that showed traces of THF and chlorinated solvents at a brand spanking new POE ro system for an RV park.

it definatly happens, but we are talking about parts per billion, and this system was probably over solvent welded and then tested a few days after.