What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vertical coco gutter's/ Round 1 disaster.

Hello everyone from the vertical section. This is the room I built in January. I decided to switch from horizontal to vertical mainly to try to increase my gpw. I've done a few vertical donuts in the past but I decided to try something different. I was supposed to get new gavita 1000w de hps lights but unfortunately due to budget cuts those have to wait for now. I was also suposed to put together a rdwc system for my plants so these clones we're vegged in dwc totes in 3" net pots... A complete change of plans probably not the best decision to go from dwc to coco...
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

The room is 10' long x 6'-10" wide x 7'-5" high. It's covered in panda film, It's lit with 3x 1000 w barebulb. 1200 cfm exhaust blower with fan dimmer keep it at 1/2 speed. 70 plants 5 strains total, I plan on lowering numbers to 60 next run and monocroping. This is a test run, next shot will be the real deal. Jack Herer short indica dominant pheno, jillybean, agent orange, power plant and jack herer hybrid. I used what I had available since I'm not an experienced vertical grower I didn't want to put all my eggs in the same basket..
picture.php

There's 3x 10' 4" pvc gutter's on each side of the room. On both ends I used 32" rectangle flower hanger boxes hung at a 45° angle. On the floor there's 8 top feed rdwc buckets and 2 2 gallon coco buckets.
picture.php
picture.php

There was a 2 week period of transistion for the fine dwc roots to get used to the coco.. It stunted them alot and I estimate it will have reduced the yield potential by up to 50% but I think this has potential once I get it dialed. My next crop is on it's way, it's going to be a monocrop using my best yielder powerplant. Also this crop was topped early in veg because i was planing on doing dwc bushes, next one they will b untoped single main cola with minimum side branching to compare the differences..

Last edited:
This crop is going down in 4-5 days. These pics we're taken a few weeks ago, next run I will re adjust the height between the shelves and the bottom shelf will be mounted a few inches higher. The buckets sit directly on the gutters and rest on the tongue and groove boards. The buckets are 3 liter pots filled with coco/perlite mix. Theres about 8 buckets per gutter.

picture.php

I was supposed to automate the irrigation with 1/2" hose and 1/4" thread/barb fittings controlled by an irrigation timer/solenoid valve but since it's cramped in there it's hard to work and test without making a mess so for now I hand feed once a day, I have a pump in a reservoir with a 1/2" hose with a garden sprayer at the other end. Takes about 1 hour a day to feed them... Although I'm getting sick of hand watering in a cramped jungle I have spent an enormous amount of time learning and observing. I wasn't sure how to set up my irrigation with the pots at a 45° angle didn't want to splash everywhere so I observed how the water went in the coco when I hand sprayed.. I have used gh nutes most of the way, micro+ bloom+ kelp + molasses and a tiny bit of koolbloom at the end. I used some canna coco a+b+ rhizo a few weeks back to compare to gh but mostly gh was used. Plan on getting house and garden coco + root exc.. Soon tired of gh, canna I like but too expensive, advanced nutes way overpriced snake oil so gona go with house and garden hear good things about them.

Ooops just realised I double posted, the other thread should b deleted, I tried but not sure how.. These are the ladies who will be replacing this multi variety disaster, much more even and uniform, this next batch will be much more successful, these are power plant clones, my cutting of pp is a heavy yielder and has 20% + thc with a very attractive aroma of creamy lemon skunk, buds are covered in reeky frosty resin and is ready in 56-63 days. I've been running this variety for years and know her like the back of my hand.
picture.php

I veg horizontally and also firt 3 weeks of flowering the plants are grown under 3x 1000 w with reflectors to get them to grow in height, when the initial stretch is done they are switched to the other room with the gutters and vertical hung bare bulbs to finish. I'm doing 2 rooms with split crop in order to get a harvest every 30 days or so. I use 3x 1000w hps magnetics with relays, first half of the cycle I'm giving them 12-1/2 hrs on and 11-1/2 off, in order to get them to grow and strectch to maximum then in the second half of the budding cycle they get 11-1/2 hrs on and 12-1/2 hrs off, the extra 1/2 hrs of darkness speeds up the maturation. Seems to work very good for the strains I grow might not work as well on pure sativas.. I prefer having a split crop then having 2 rooms ready at the same time wich can get overwhelming at times also having a crop every month means less time for everyone to wait for there meds including me !

I might try a circular vertical grow using gutters to catch the runoff, like 6 modular 45° shelves with gutters all arround the lights more or less a donut but with the plants angled more towards the bulbs. I could hang 3 bulbs one on top of another and have the shelves surrounding them I imagine it would probably be more productive since all light would be absorbed, just not sure if a triple stacked garden would as b easily accessible for maintenance as what I have.. I like having the plants on shelves don't have to bend over to water unlike a horizontal grow.

This is what the finished product looks like, I plan on getting a nice camera, these cell phone pics are low quality. This Power Plant cut is old school PP originally from the Montreal compassion club and before that probably from Dutch Passion seed stock not sure but it's a classic around here people who try growing it end up keeping this one whether it's for production or personal stash this ones a heavy frosty stinky keeper with a strong up high definitely mostly sativa ready in 56-70 days depending how you prefer her trichomes the longer you wait the heavier the weight and buzz get, I myself have tried her from 50 days to 75 days and I find at 60-65 days with a cold temp finish with a 70%/30% hps/ mh mix gives you dark/ purplish streaks with insane tight frosted reeky skunky buds of the highest value. Bubble hash yield from the trim is awesome, big trichomes, nice brown bubblehash.
picture.php

N

noyd666

drfever on here used to probably still? grow pp, big yields, big crop.i grew a pack of pp of dutch passion years ago and bastards hermied.

Yeah way back in 2000 I had ordered alot of dutch passion gear through emery seeds direct lol and had low germination rates considering the packs we're 120$ + per 10 seeds, white widow, northern lights, durban poison, masterkush and mazar. This pp was gifted to me as a cut, it looks identical to dutch passion images just much more frosted.
picture.php
picture.php
Cant wait to try the vertical room with this Queen, it's going to be double the weight of my first run.

Initial stretch is almost done, today is day 14 and they are getting 12-1/2 on 11-1/2 off so the extra half hour of light is not slowing them if anything they get bigger and have a better frame to get them ready for the second half of the cycle where the buds develop and pack on the weight. So if I harvest sunday these girls will have completed their strech and be ready to be placed in the gutters and get side lighting from the bare bulbs. Everything is nice and healthy and uniform gona be a nice change then having multiple strains. Easy baby!
picture.php

N

noyd666

look real healthy and can see where the weight is going to be, nice.

Pics of the tester crop that will be harvested sunday, not very impressive, although it's still going to be 3- 4 #'s for 3000 w it's the minimum yield to expect with a 3000 w horizontal grow. I created my own problems with this one. Went from dwc to coco not the best thing to do and also forgot to mention I sprinkled an organic fertilizer on top of the coco when I first transplanted them, last crop i used a kelp based organic fertilizer additive that I picked up in the local hardware store wich worked great but the second bottle I picked up wasn't the same, it had chicken manure, and other strong organic ferts made for an outside vegetable garden not for fine dwc sensitive roots. It's like I shot myself in the foot damn I felt stupid after realising it, I ended up scooping the top layer of coco from each bucket but the damage was already done. So considering all the newbie mistakes I made its still gona be better than nothing.
picture.php
picture.php

Everything will be ready by sunday except for the jack x swazi mix which will need an extra 2 weeks as bottom branches still look very pre mature, they're going to be moved to my closet stash grow under a 150 w hps + 175 w mh so I can clean/disinfect everything. Pics of Power Plant...
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
I hear this cut recently won some awards in canada in the sativa categories not sure where I'll have to check either lift cup or karma cup. Best recipe for her is mixed spectrum with cold nights last 7-14 days and 10 ml of grandma's molasses per gallon in your nutrient solution last couple of weeks. The thc increases even more when you have re-vegged clones I'm sure it reaches 25%+ thc.

Miraculous Meds

Nice work. The next monocrop should do great. I did a similar design with a gutter system to recirculate. I ran a pump n manifold for each level to be watered. There were 4 levels, so it was quite a fiasco. To train I disconnected each manifold so I could open up one of the racks n tie back plants.

If u were to go with a circular design, I'd stick with 4 sides n don't plant the corners where they will over grow each other. It's a bit more simple n u can create a perfect canopy with 4 shelves.

Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see how the reload monocrop does for ya!