What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tri_Cho_Me Goes No-Till

Tri_Cho_Me

In, not sure what the bugs are but I don't think they will cause a problem. There are all sorts of critters in living soil! Watch out for fungus gnats, I just been hammered by them!

They're Hypoaspis Miles. You should look into them because they will eat fungus gnat larvae. I have seen one fungus gnat since I started doing this. I'm ok with that. Haha!

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

Sour Diesel Babies

Sour Diesel Babies

Hey ya'll. Sour Diesel babies are popping and starting to explode.

Haven't really done much. Top dressed with some of the Nutrient Kit from Build-a-Soil. Again, I should've added that when I originally mixed my soil, so I am just top dressing once a week until it's gone. Nearly there! Other than that, just plain distilled water! Easy.

Temps at peak heating are 78-80F, and humidity is around 50-60% Usually closer to 60% as I try to keep my mulch layer pretty moist. I also have been playing with how often to actually water and how much. 1/2 gallon per 10 gallon pot is about perfect. I do this about every 3 or 4 days. Depending on how things are looking.

Enjoy!
Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 13
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 10

Tri_Cho_Me

And we have lift off!!

And we have lift off!!

Things are really starting to truck along. Lots of growth in the last week. Mrs. Right is taller, while Mrs. Left is short and compact. You can kind of get and idea in the pictures.

Thinking I am going to top soon. The 5th node is starting to pop out the top. Once that grows out a bit more I'll top them. I also pinched the main stem toward the top where it's softer. I plan to try this through out veg and early flower. Depending on how things go in the first run in my veg tent, I could potentially see topping 2, 3 or 4 times. Probably wont have time for any more.

So far, really liking the no-till. Just watering and misting to keep the mulch layer wet and the humidity up. Occasionally I'll make an aloe powder and neem leaves powder concoction with a gallon of distilled water. But mainly just making sure the babies are growing upright and watering. Easy peasy.

Once my current run is done in flower, I will move these over. Should be another couple weeks. But then I also have to dry in my flower tent, so it will be out of commission for those 7-10 days. I need to take advantage of that carbon filter. That tent is really starting to stink!

Here are some pics.

Tric_Cho_Me

Attachments

• 12-11-16 Sour D Lowers.jpg
    12-11-16 Sour D Lowers.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 12-11-16 NoTill Sour D Right.jpg
    12-11-16 NoTill Sour D Right.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 12-11-16 NoTill Sour D  Left.jpg
    12-11-16 NoTill Sour D Left.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 12-11-16 NoTill Short & Tall.jpg
    12-11-16 NoTill Short & Tall.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 13

Rodehazrd

I'm subbed for this one I want to do notill. I started with a 30 gal tub with a netpot cut in the center filled the basket with rockwool and set it in another tub with 6" of water. I got the design from a grow bible by someone.Threw an airstone in the bottom and a heat mat underneath. I put 20 gal of my recycled high brix mix in there and plan to topdress with ewc and happy frog. If the temp is good today I plan to put in two hso desert diesel seedlings. My rock powder mix is
6parts calcium carbonate
5 parts soft rock phosphate
3 parts gypsum.
I did not reamend this batch of soil nor add any microbes.
Thanks for starting this thread there's a lot of knowledge to tap into here and continued loads from the hydro store make me paranoid as I'm not in a legal stare. And all the work growing the micro herd seems wasted when I toss in he media in the garden
Rodehazrd

Dakine

Veteran
Nice job bro! I wanted to start my Outdoor No-Til Raised bed outside before the new year but I havent even gotten my worms yet! Nutes have been getting pretty expenssive compared to being free. Soo this is what I wanted to turn to, and basically just run clones in it...

ITs kinda funny though, cause I screwed up big time haha.. I've been just dumping the leaves/stems I've been cutting off, onto the top of the soil in the pots the plants are currently in.. Couple days ago I thought I had mold or something because of the moisture on the layer of dead leaves.
Come to find out, its some benficial bacteria. I forget exactly what it was called but its name has "beard" in it. Its showing us that are soil is filled with microbe life and good stuff. Which I just destroyed cause I even took out the first 1/4 inch of soil, cause I was like "fuck mold" lol.

Man I hope your grow continues to do what it do. ITs looking damn good, and I hope you dont mind me takin notes and learnin from what you do. Just so I can be semi-ready when I start my No-Til grow!

Tri_Cho_Me

Nice job bro! I wanted to start my Outdoor No-Til Raised bed outside before the new year but I havent even gotten my worms yet! Nutes have been getting pretty expenssive compared to being free. Soo this is what I wanted to turn to, and basically just run clones in it...

ITs kinda funny though, cause I screwed up big time haha.. I've been just dumping the leaves/stems I've been cutting off, onto the top of the soil in the pots the plants are currently in.. Couple days ago I thought I had mold or something because of the moisture on the layer of dead leaves.
Come to find out, its some benficial bacteria. I forget exactly what it was called but its name has "beard" in it. Its showing us that are soil is filled with microbe life and good stuff. Which I just destroyed cause I even took out the first 1/4 inch of soil, cause I was like "fuck mold" lol.

Man I hope your grow continues to do what it do. ITs looking damn good, and I hope you dont mind me takin notes and learnin from what you do. Just so I can be semi-ready when I start my No-Til grow!

Totally! All are welcome here!

I had some of that stuff too! I found out it is called mycelium. I think I posted about it earlier.

Anywho, check back soon for another update! Gotta get one on the books soon. The Sour Diesel ladies are really starting to take off.

Tri_Cho_Me

Tri_Cho_Me

Here we go kids. Started some LST tonight. Topped last week on both Mrs. Left and Mrs. Right. Mrs. Right still is super tall and lanky, while Mrs. Left is a short, fat bitch.

Top dressed with some ground up Barley, neem leaves powder, and aloe leaves powder. Other than that just watering with Distilled water about once a weekish. I was doing it more often, but I feel like I was maybe overdoing it. Also, I am doing a fairly good job of keeping my VPD in check which helps with not having to water as much. I find it helpful to mist as much as possible in veg. Keeps the mulch layer moist, which in turn ups the humidity.

Again, once my flower tent is free, I will move these girls over to begin that process. I think it will be mid January before then however. Hopefully these Sour Diesel ladies don't explode too much! :peacock:

Have a great week!
Tri_Cho_Me

Attachments

• IMG_5933.jpg
    IMG_5933.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5934.jpg
    IMG_5934.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5930.jpg
    IMG_5930.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5931.jpg
    IMG_5931.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

MileHighGlass

Here we go kids. Started some LST tonight. Topped last week on both Mrs. Left and Mrs. Right. Mrs. Right still is super tall and lanky, while Mrs. Left is a short, fat bitch.

Top dressed with some ground up Barley, neem leaves powder, and aloe leaves powder. Other than that just watering with Distilled water about once a weekish. I was doing it more often, but I feel like I was maybe overdoing it. Also, I am doing a fairly good job of keeping my VPD in check which helps with not having to water as much. I find it helpful to mist as much as possible in veg. Keeps the mulch layer moist, which in turn ups the humidity.

Again, once my flower tent is free, I will move these girls over to begin that process. I think it will be mid January before then however. Hopefully these Sour Diesel ladies don't explode too much! :peacock:

Have a great week!
Tri_Cho_Me

Ditch the straw and get some leaves from outside. Then you will have leaf mold in your pot plus mulch. Also plant some local grasses during veg that will die back when you flower. Don't buy the cover crop blend that people like buildasoil are selling. Buy local wild grass seed that are ingenious to your region, and altitude.

You may be able to see the leaves I use in this Picture. I am at 7400' so I use apsen leaves, and also wild grass seeds that are indigenous to this region and altitude. The 6 pots far away are 2 years old, and the 4 25 gallon pots that are close are a new perlite free mix I am testing.

Everything is about 3.5 weeks into flower now(not in this picture) and the new soil is performing well. Although the real test is 3 or 4 more runs into it.

Tri_Cho_Me

Ditch the straw and get some leaves from outside. Then you will have leaf mold in your pot plus mulch. Also plant some local grasses during veg that will die back when you flower. Don't buy the cover crop blend that people like buildasoil are selling. Buy local wild grass seed that are ingenious to your region, and altitude.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=65863&pictureid=1681779&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

You may be able to see the leaves I use in this Picture. I am at 7400' so I use apsen leaves, and also wild grass seeds that are indigenous to this region and altitude. The 6 pots far away are 2 years old, and the 4 25 gallon pots that are close are a new perlite free mix I am testing.

Everything is about 3.5 weeks into flower now(not in this picture) and the new soil is performing well. Although the real test is 3 or 4 more runs into it.

Yep, I have leaves from outside underneath. Among other things. I am just using straw at the moment. Once that starts to lower down and there is enough room for another layer, I'll switch it back up.

Thanks for the input!
Tri_Cho_Me

Dakine

Veteran
So even the grayish mold on the leaves that are at the top of my soil bin and pots are good? It looks a little different from the good beard stuff.. it looks like actual mold from moisture. It's not on top of the soil at all though, it's only on the leaves..

Do you guys think having mulch (trim/stems) from the plant thts in the pot would benefit at all in a regular tilled/semi amended grow? I'm tryna decide on whether or not to put the leaves on again.. I'm 99% sure I had bad mold and good mold on the leaves l, I just don't want to be creating an environment for bad bacteria or viruses that will hop onto my girls...

Do you guys use RO and Distilled water for your plants? Or do you just use 1 or the other, and why?
I've been using plain tap water from A faucet, but ever since the ph problems I just had. I really want to switch over.

True is there A specific reason why you use neem leaves? Does it do what neem oil does when u spray it as a foliar feed? Or does it also add some kinda nutritional value?

Tri_Cho_Me

So even the grayish mold on the leaves that are at the top of my soil bin and pots are good? It looks a little different from the good beard stuff.. it looks like actual mold from moisture. It's not on top of the soil at all though, it's only on the leaves..

Do you guys think having mulch (trim/stems) from the plant thts in the pot would benefit at all in a regular tilled/semi amended grow? I'm tryna decide on whether or not to put the leaves on again.. I'm 99% sure I had bad mold and good mold on the leaves l, I just don't want to be creating an environment for bad bacteria or viruses that will hop onto my girls...

Do you guys use RO and Distilled water for your plants? Or do you just use 1 or the other, and why?
I've been using plain tap water from A faucet, but ever since the ph problems I just had. I really want to switch over.

True is there A specific reason why you use neem leaves? Does it do what neem oil does when u spray it as a foliar feed? Or does it also add some kinda nutritional value?

I would say just like fruit can mold, so can leaves. Now, is that good or bad mold? No idea. I would say if it's bad mold, as long as everything else is healthy in the soil, mulch, plant itself, you should be fine.

And yes, I think adding the trimmings and leaves from what you're growing to the mulch layer is a good idea. Any nutrients the plant took up through its life, is going to give that back to the soil and the soil life when it's broken down. Something I started doing differently recently, was dry the trimming before adding them to the mulch layer. This doesn't provide additional moisture and breeding grounds for gnats and bad stuff, etc.

I use distilled water purchased by the gallon. .88/gallon....not sure if that's a good or bad price...
I don't even worry about the pH. I wouldn't use tap water where I'm at even if it was pH'd because it is hard as hell. I have to clean my humidifier weekly because of the build-up. *vomit*

I was informed of the neem leaves powder through an Instagram buddy. Honestly, I have no idea what it does or how it compares to oil. This is my last piece of no-till I need to master. The amendments, teas, etc. and when to add them and why. What does each of them do? I actually don't foliar feed my plants at all. The only thing I spray ON my plants is distilled water. Everything else as far as amendments go, is either top dressed dry then watered in. Or, mixed in the gallon water jug prior to watering.

Hope this helps! Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:

Tri_Cho_Me