What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Huck,

Go watch that video posted in the very beginning of this thread on youtube and then go look at the soil analysis posted on this page

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=326705&page=67

We are talking about the bases in the soil, the elements Ca, Mg, K, Mg and H. Sometimes some of the metals are included, but we will just stick to these during the conversation.

A soil has the ability to hold only so many of these bases, that capacity is known as the cation exchange capacity..... within those bases, we are discussing how much of each one.

Then go download the analysis posted by lightweight on this page https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=289990&page=200

There you will see an amazing soil in Maui.

Many believe in going to only 68% Ca, some of us talk about 85% Ca. Watch the video a couple of times.

Ask questions, no problem.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
View Image
You can see the one branch in the middle isn't doing it as much. I was only gone for 3 days for it to start happening....

Top,

That is a tough call, given those are monsters, they will eat like monsters. No clue of what you have been up to.

I would say getting all that energy up to the top of the plant is going to be a tough order to fill everything out. Calcium comes to mind, so does phosphorus.

Give us a quick run through of what you have been up to?

theJointedOne

Veteran
Slow- hey man, sorry if this is off topic but I was curious your thoughts on manure.

I got a neighbor who was telling me I should top dress with horse manure..

Thoughts?

Not trying to derail the thread, you can pm me if that's easier.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Top dressing with manure, never done it in cannabis, which is a C3 plant. C4 plants like citrus, love fresh manure, but in small quantities.

It isn't so much the nutrient value that makes manure topdressing beneficial, it is the metabolites of the bacteria that break down the manure that makes manure so valuable.

Those metabolites allow the plant to become much more resistant to disease and insects.

Also, the ammonia in fresh manure helps to get manganese into the plant VS nitrates, which block the uptake of manganese. This is why so many organic growers have a big problem with manganese, they all try to use compost.

Be real careful, manures are very hot and many are full of salts. If you have enough calcium, a light sprinkling several times over the season can be pretty amazing.

In my lime trees, we mix a whole sack (about 75 LBS) into a 60x60x80 cm hole thoroughly mixed with the soil and plant into that after one heavy irrigation. The trees love it and grow so much faster compared to compost.

Pangea

Veteran
Hi slownickel, most growers are using a heavy peat moss based mix, usually peat, perlite, vermiculite, compost/minerals. An issue ive run into that ive shared in the past is the labs estimating cec. Here's a previous post:

Quote:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/udextension/lawngarden/files/2012/10/CHAP9.pdf

:
:
Soil testing laboratories do not usually provide a direct measure of CECe. Instead, often
the CEC is estimated (calculated, CECsum)

...Such CEC measures can result in values very different from the
CEC of the soil at its field pH (effective CEC or CECe)...
https://extension.ag.uidaho.edu/nursery/Landscape problems/Substrate/CEC and CN ratio.PDF
:
:
Finally, to get the
most accurate CEC results for soilless potting mixes, the extraction procedure should be
completed with barium chloride. Using the barium procedure prevents problems from medium pH levels and provides a more accurate (usually higher) CEC value.
What kind of CEC methods are the labs using?
Make sure to specify that you are soil is high in peat moss and to request an effective CEC using a barium solution. I wouldnt be surprised if they charge more.

A heavy peat based mix should or could be in the 100 - 200 range from what Ive read, is this not correct or what are your thoughts?

https://www.extension.uidaho.edu/nursery/Landscape problems/Substrate/CEC and CN ratio.PDF

edit fixed links.

Last edited:

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi slownickel, most growers are using a heavy peat moss based mix, usually peat, perlite, vermiculite, compost/minerals. An issue ive run into that ive shared in the past is the labs estimating cec. Here's a previous post:

A heavy peat based mix should or could be in the 100 - 200 range from what Ive read, is this not correct or what are your thoughts?

http://www.extension.uidaho.edu/nursery/Landscape problems/Substrate/CEC and CN ratio.PDF

edit fixed links.

Sure seems like one of those professors that is trying to recreate the wheel.

We have a bunch of guys running M3 who have now started running M3 and AA@8.2. The correlation between growth and their base distributions is actually pretty incredible. All those with good Ca levels are doing amazing. Those that have high Mg, and more Na than K, are all responding to fixing what looks to be missing, Ca.

It is imperative that folks do their own trials.

Prior, due to the OVER not under estimation as the profe would tell us, everyone thought they were drowning in Calcium. They were not. Calcium was way over estimated.

Once folks add compost, worm castings and a bunch of woo woo :woohoo: juice to their mediums, these mediums take on interesting chemistries all their own.

If there is more to the picture than we are seeing in these current methods and we can see clearly what happens when we start dialing things in with what we have, I am not sure what I can get from what this profe is preaching. If there is so much more CEC, what does that mean to Ca? K? Mg? Na? H?? Metals???

I couldn't open that first article. Could you send me the whole URL?

Profe would have to show me some serious data to catch my ear.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I did a read through, the video really helped give me the foundation of things to think about.

I seem to fall into the category of those who may be chasing their tail.
Planning a winter indoor grow. Here is the soil "recipe"... with a ph of 7.4 out of the tap..
I have experienced many of the things you have talked about. So slowly the picture becomes more clear... I find myself chasing calcium by foliar feeding cal mag.
Generally growing in 2-3 cubic foot containers and vegging 30-40 days... I never compost this mix just plant straight into it. I also have never phed my water. After my first complete fail in many years my last run I finally bought a meter. I had been using the same soil recycling it for a couple years and dumping tons of epsoms on to combat what I thought were deficiencies and finally switching to salt fertlizers, which i now understand made everything worse.. Finally hit rock bottom and the collapsed from various aspects of my mismanagement. All the while my yields slowly shrank. In the beginning the mix performed good it seemed... I guess that first and 2nd runs usually went ok because I veg so long and some calcium and potassium starts to become available when flower starts, subsequent runs start falling apart more and more slowly over time.

18 cubic feet of bagged store bought soil: Tap ph 7.4

9 pounds dolomite lime
9 pounds bone meal
3 pounds blood meal
4 pounds kelp meal
90 pounds EWC
3 cubic feet of perlite

As you can see I have been doing just what you described...

Since I don't have a grow going atm and tons of time on my hands I am off to rethink my life... And do alot of reading... Wow. What an eye opener. I don't even know where to begin ha. I guess a soil test of my bagged dirt before amending anything...

Thanks slow.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As you can see I have been doing just what you described...

Since I don't have a grow going atm and tons of time on my hands I am off to rethink my life... And do alot of reading... Wow. What an eye opener. I don't even know where to begin ha. I guess a soil test of my bagged dirt before amending anything...

Thanks slow.

Tony,

Don't feel too bad. I know very large farmers, thousands of acres, and they fell into the same trap as you.

Stick with it, you will be surprised how fast you can go once you learn the rules!

:comfort:

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Read that last URL. They are discussing washed out soils in the northeast US.

Nothing new there, very old in fact.

What was important there was the fact that the author recognized the importance of separating soil analysis types so as to NOT over estimate the CEC.

The sum concepts using the AA@8.2 vs M3 to establish a modified CEC is what I do. You won't find that in any article. It is however, what I do.

The AA@8.2 reports back almost identical K, sometimes less Mg and always much less Ca, this way I avoid all the mistakes that were warned of in that Chapter 9.

D

daddylonglegs

Cool reference to PGA, golf greens are my hobby , PGA have tons of good books and papers published, ( and the money for research) if only they would figure it out organically, they are the " masters " of liquid fix its....

Slownick- thanks for expressing calcium concern , on a few different facets at that . I use raised beds and pots , not acres , but still very useful on how to keep the structure maintained , very grateful can't wait to hear from more of your experiences ....

plantingplants

Also, the ammonia in fresh manure helps to get manganese into the plant VS nitrates, which block the uptake of manganese. This is why so many organic growers have a big problem with manganese, they all try to use compost.

Interesting! So I thought nitrate was good in flower as n source since it uptake extra K with it, but ammonia is good too because it helps with Mn uptake.

So would you say it's good to have them in equal ratio? Or are there a million other things to consider that I don't know about :)

Last edited:
J

Johnny Redthumb

So would you say it's good to have them in equal ratio? Or are there a million other things to consider that I don't know about :)

Not sure what slow is gonna say, but I pretty much cut out all nitrate in flower if I can. I try to use aminos or ammonium sulfate in flower if I need N. If I need more Ca, I might give em some calcium nitrate in flower, but I wouldn't continue using a nitrate compound in flower, personally. And NH4 in small doses because it is also a cation.

Also, slow reminded me recently of something my old chemist buddy used to talk about, with the NO3:NH4 ratio and the hormone signaling that occurs.

Slipnot

Tony,

Don't feel too bad. I know very large farmers, thousands of acres, and they fell into the same trap as you.

Stick with it, you will be surprised how fast you can go once you learn the rules!

:comfort:
I am a large farmer not with thousands of acres but thousands of hectares :) I let the pro's determine the analysis and feeding requirements
Your info is great but, today's era is all about feeding microbes, Teas etc etc, molasses, the No till method etc etc
The organic craze reminds me of them kids going nuts over
Justin Beiber :) were spending to much time trying to understand something that is literally NEW to science and changing constantly Soil biology, Carbon cycle
Because its alive we can test till the cows come home an think this theory is correct but as in climate change drop or raise temps in soil or what ever and its a different ball game
But that i science for you its never FACT its a simple understanding of what occured,
etc

Soil tests are great its better to know your starting point then to blindly go adding calcium, phosphate etc not knowing the properties of the soil . with man made materials and machinery
With that said with so many properties in a variety of soil in the world its going to be trial n error meanwhile slowly building our soils.
On closing note instead of making things easier,, for some reason people just like going about things the hard way.

Dunno that is what i see today i do not even bother with adding store bought amendments i have 7 worm farms and millions of worms and eggs decent compost bin using up scraps around the farm straws leaf etc and home etc

That is what i think, growers need to do. There to busy worrying about adding lime and other store bought ingredients,, or percentages there of.
Spending to much time with that then actual growing and reading the plants needs although knowledge and some basic understanding is good ..

Its always a rush rush rush.... when making a soil When it can be much more rewarding and hassle free of not worrying about it letting mother nature take care of it
and with that ph stable

D

daddylonglegs

Good points slip knot , yes no till! yes build soil that has integrity . Soil analysis and understanding of the reactions In a soil help to understand what's going on , Not a fan of machinery and man made solutions Ina bottle , they are band aids in my opinion like western medecine ( for most part ).

D

daddylonglegs

Not quite sure how to maintain this calcium in a pot or bed ( without liquids) , besides top dress , but clearly need more , and consistently . But sure love the awareness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts