What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4x8 ebb & flow setup question

Hi. My 2nd attempt at hydro and my first with a 4x8. Brand new tray. Where do I put the holes for the drain and flood? I have put 2 holes in the 8ft side where the dimples were. This made the most sense to me for even distribution of flood and drain. I guess I answered my own question but my 2nd question is do have 2 sets of holes opposite of each other? This makes sense to me for such a large volume of water to ebb and flow more evenly ~139 gallons (measured 96 inches x 48 inches x 7 inches more realistically 75-100 gallons with pots and medium).

So the question is is it better to have 1 set of 2 holes or 2 sets of 2 holes for a 4x8?

If it helps the plan is a coco mat, hydroton/pumice mix and 6 inch net pots round.

HI there,

Sorry Im a little confused by the question. You were correct on the dimple aspect.

Are you thinking multiple pumps flooding the tray (2 water inputs) and 2 water drains?

Either one will work. Pump size will depend on how quickly you can flood those tables.

Lyfespan

Hi. My 2nd attempt at hydro and my first with a 4x8. Brand new tray. Where do I put the holes for the drain and flood? I have put 2 holes in the 8ft side where the dimples were. This made the most sense to me for even distribution of flood and drain. I guess I answered my own question but my 2nd question is do have 2 sets of holes opposite of each other? This makes sense to me for such a large volume of water to ebb and flow more evenly ~139 gallons (measured 96 inches x 48 inches x 7 inches more realistically 75-100 gallons with pots and medium).

So the question is is it better to have 1 set of 2 holes or 2 sets of 2 holes for a 4x8?

If it helps the plan is a coco mat, hydroton/pumice mix and 6 inch net pots round.

is this a bontanicare tray? if so its setup so the tray has a high and low side, and the drain assemblies are designed for each end.

7812-botanicare-outside-dimension-black-grow-trays.png

you drill in the rectangle area in the middle for these
5203-botanicare-bulkhead-kit-with-2-extensions-ebb-flow.jpg

http://www.ehydroponics.com/?action=product&id=5203&cid=424

Thanks for responding.

Are you thinking multiple pumps flooding the tray (2 water inputs) and 2 water drains?

Either one will work. Pump size will depend on how quickly you can flood those tables.

I was thinking that 2 inputs and 2 drains is the most ideal for most even distribution of water filling and draining but was undecided on 1 pump or 2.

Regarding the speed of which the tray gets flooded and drained, is that important? Do I want fast fill and drain or slower fill and drain? Is that dependent on the medium? From reading a bit about ebb&flow on the forms it seems like most people are at least 3 flood and drains a day. I guess I will figure out what works for me as I go along.

Lyfespan said:
iIs this a bontanicare tray? if so its setup so the tray has a high and low side, and the drain assemblies are designed for each end.

Yes it is a 4x8 botanicare tray. Are you saying 1 fill goes on 1 side and 1 drain goes on opposite side?

The pictures is how it is setup currently. Is it sufficient/correct?

Attachments

• 20160422_125100[1].jpg
    20160422_125100[1].jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20160422_125135[1].jpg
    20160422_125135[1].jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20160422_125141[2].jpg
    20160422_125141[2].jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 12

RockinRobot

Thanks for responding.

I was thinking that 2 inputs and 2 drains is the most ideal for most even distribution of water filling and draining but was undecided on 1 pump or 2.

Regarding the speed of which the tray gets flooded and drained, is that important? Do I want fast fill and drain or slower fill and drain? Is that dependent on the medium? From reading a bit about ebb&flow on the forms it seems like most people are at least 3 flood and drains a day. I guess I will figure out what works for me as I go along.

Yes it is a 4x8 botanicare tray. Are you saying 1 fill goes on 1 side and 1 drain goes on opposite side?

The pictures is how it is setup currently. Is it sufficient/correct?

You definitely need flood and drain on opposite ends of the tray. Otherwise waste will build up in 1 end of the tray. Made the mistake of putting them on same end and it was a disaster for the plants on the opposite end from the in/outlets

Lyfespan

You definitely need flood and drain on opposite ends of the tray. Otherwise waste will build up in 1 end of the tray. Made the mistake of putting them on same end and it was a disaster for the plants on the opposite end from the in/outlets

never liked the holes on the same side either, never made sense

Billy Liar

Only 1 of the fittings is a flood AND a drain fitting (it fills and drains through the SAME fitting), the other is an overflow fitting that prevents the table overflowing. Next to each other or on opposite ends will not affect how the table fills and drains at all.

Peace
BL

BadRabbit

Only 1 of the fittings is a flood AND a drain fitting (it fills and drains through the SAME fitting), the other is an overflow fitting that prevents the table overflowing. Next to each other or on opposite ends will not affect how the table fills and drains at all.

Peace
BL

This.

Same side is fine, if pooling, you need to level the table.

gus738

I also have this tray. I dont have a res i like to try f&D again. Does water nutes at half or what feed &Water progress?

My first attempt at hyrdo.

veg - 3x3 ebb and flow tables
flower - 12 2gal active aqua ebb and gro system.

Just veg in the pot inserts and then slip them in the pots for flower

My 2 cents...when I had a flood and drain, I liked to have a circulation pump ON THE TABLE....it had a low water cut off sensor...u.can hook it to the same flood pump timer or just let the sensor do its thing...when its in the flood cycle the circulation pump adds a ton of D.O. if positioned right and keeps everything mixed nice...I also found it keeps the table much cleaner and 'healthier'....
As far as flood rates and frequency, that will change as the plants grow and their needs change...pay close attention to the moisture retention your first run at different grow stages and make a timer schedule...hydroton rocks in a flood and drain system, IMO

My 2 cents...when I had a flood and drain, I liked to have a circulation pump ON THE TABLE....it had a low water cut off sensor...u.can hook it to the same flood pump timer or just let the sensor do its thing...when its in the flood cycle the circulation pump adds a ton of D.O. if positioned right and keeps everything mixed nice...I also found it keeps the table much cleaner and 'healthier'....
As far as flood rates and frequency, that will change as the plants grow and their needs change...pay close attention to the moisture retention your first run at different grow stages and make a timer schedule...hydroton rocks in a flood and drain system, IMO
Can you recommend a good sized circulation pump?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
A couple of things that worked for me with F&D.

Have a pump with some power. I went with 500 GPH.
Get a pump with bottom feed so you can fully utilize the reservoir.
Set up both flood & drain with the widest hose you can. 3/4 is great.
Only put as much water in the reservoir as the tray all hold. No overfill.
Use a bell siphon for overflow protection and fast drain.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran

Most of the time, from what I've seen trays are drilled with just one set of holes. It's nicer to have one spot with connections to access then several connections. If you had two sets of holes, you'd have to have both fill drains linked or have two feed pumps. Two feed pumps would only fill the tray if both are pumping at the same time. Two over flows would help if you have a high flow rated pump.

BadRabbit

Been running ebb and flow tables for almost 20 years,, 3 to 4 at a time. Sorry, but I can't imagine a bigger time and money waster than an extra circ pump on a table. The very nature of e&f table adds plenty of ox to the water. Won't hurt anything (but your budget and time), won't help either.

Latest posts

Latest posts