What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone know where in the world I could buy Wasabi seeds?

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
I love Wasabi! I'd love to grow it! And because I live in a climate that is considered good for it(pacific north-west), I'd love to try.

The problem is, anytime I start a websearch for seeds, I come up empty! Do any of my international brothers and sisters know of a supplier of these rare seeds?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I love Wasabi! I'd love to grow it! And because I live in a climate that is considered good for it(pacific north-west), I'd love to try.

The problem is, anytime I start a websearch for seeds, I come up empty! Do any of my international brothers and sisters know of a supplier of these rare seeds?
Horseradish has an extensive/invasive root system. Be sure you dig down deep and also make sure you put up boards or rock barriers if you have other plants in the same container. They'll choke out a lot of stuff and take over... kinda like mint :D

Stay Safe! :tree:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Isnt wasabi processed horse raddish?

its the bomb huh, i love my japanese food

It's 'japanese horseradish', but most wasabi is really just regular horseradish- Wasabi being very perishable.

So just grow some horesradish. Hot stuff.
Heh heh, I'm perfectly aware of the differences between European Horseradish and true Wasabi(Japanese Horseradish), I'm also aware that much of what is bought and sold as "Wasabi" is actually European horseradish(even in Japan).

I want to grow REAL Wasabi, hence my attempt to reach out to my international brethren for inside info on local sources of seeds not listed on the net, the seeds are rarer than most any Cannabis seeds you could think of.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Horseradish has an extensive/invasive root system. Be sure you dig down deep and also make sure you put up boards or rock barriers if you have other plants in the same container. They'll choke out a lot of stuff and take over... kinda like mint :D

Stay Safe! :tree:
I wish mint would be that vigorous in my garden, I think another good plant to compare the invasive nature to would be Bamboo.

V

vonforne

Hey Backcountry, contact Jaykush in the Organic soil forum. He grows every thing and he is our leading pro with Natural growing and gardening.

V

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Phooey! After some further research, I've found that my climate gets 10-30F too hot in the summer time for Wasabi.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
I doubt you are going to find seeds, but you could start some from a root maybe.
There is a place in the Pac. NW that sells it I believe...

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I was actually going to look into growing as a legal cash crop, it goes for around $100 a pound. I'll probably look into growing Horseradish for personal use, since I like it as well(I doubt I've actually ever tasted real Wasabi anyways).

Sleepy

Veteran
By 2000 Pacific Farms scaled back their commercial production (which they hope to restart in the near future), but they still grow plants for customers who want to grow wasabi as a hobby (six live plants for $22.95 plus shipping). Currently, they also import frozen wasabi roots, which they make into fresh wasabi paste and sell in 1.5 oz tubes (six tubes for $24.95 plus shipping). Phone 1-800-927-2248 x313 or www.freshwasabi.com.

If you prefer something more homespun, Frogfarm Wasabi, located in Seattle, makes growing wasabi sound like no big deal. They say they grow their wasabi outdoors in compost under shade cloth, protect the plants from slugs and snails, and spray the plants once or twice a day to maintain soil moisture and humidity. Frogfarm sells bare root plants to hobby growers and others, and includes detailed growing instructions on how to grow 6-inch roots in 18 to 24 months. Cost is $7.50 per plant plus $5 shipping for every three plants. Contact them at (206) 361-1981 or www.wasabifarm.com.

found some more info:

Fresh Wasabi Rhizomes Fresh wasabi is a rare, delicious and expensive delicacy that deserves proper handling. Sawa (water grown) Daruma wasabi is especially prized for its green color, size and crisp taste. Patient grating and preparation before serving is what activates and optimizes wasabi's memorable spicy-pungent and uniquely sweet flavors. Traditionally, the fresh wasabi rhizome is washed, the top end is cut off and it is then pressed tightly against an "Oroshi" grater, a piece of sharkskin mounted on a wooden or ceramic paddle. Using a tight circular motion, the rhizome is carefully grated to produce a small pile of mashed plant particles. While a traditional Oroshi is considered ideal, a small toothed stainless steel or ceramic grater may also be used, (the finer the better). Some chefs will then use the back of a knife to further crush the wasabi particles to maximize the enzymatic action.

When a suitable amount of fresh wasabi has been grated, gather and press it into a tight pile, cover it (the compounds released by the enzymatic reaction are volatile and flavors can dissipate with too much exposure to air) and let it relax for a few minutes to maximize its potency. Timing is important. Like a fine wine, allowing fresh grated wasabi to breathe for a few minutes helps flavors develop, but too much time can be detrimental. Generally about ten minutes after preparation is the optimum time to serve the prepared wasabi. Be advised however, that the flavor may "peak" after about twenty to thirty minutes. If this occurs and the meal is still ongoing, you can re-invigorate the wasabi by vigorously re-mixing it and regrouping it back into a tight little pile. Some chefs suggest adding a pinch of sugar to help re-ignite the enzyme reactions. Adding more freshly grated wasabi can re-invigorate the unique Fiery Taste, Smooth Finish™ for a second wind.

Orders for Wasabi Rhizomes are packed in Styrofoam shippers with ice packs and rushed via UPS or Fed Ex.

NOTE: FRESH PRODUCE!! MUST ARRIVE IN ONE OR TWO DAYS! PLEASE VIEW THE SHIPPING CHART UNDER RW POLICIES. IF WE ARE SHIPPING TO AN ADDRESS IN THE 3+ DAY REGION, YOU MUST SELECT UPS 2nd DAY OR OVERNIGHT SHIPPING.

NOTE: Wasabi harvests are periodic, so delays can happen. After your order is submitted, we will email you with an estimated ship/arrival date. If you have a specific preferred ship date, we will do our best to accomodate you.

Like any vegetable, wasabi is at its best when served as close to harvest time as possible, but fresh rhizomes can be stored in the refrigerator for 30 days or so. The rhizomes should be wrapped in damp paper towels and stored in a crisper drawer to protect them from drying out.

Customer Testimonial - "The wasabi I received with this order was awesome. I still have one "stalk" left. It seems to keep nicely when wrapped and refrigerated. Awesome product!" ~ Doug ~ www.sushibynature.com

1/2 lb Fresh Wasabi Rhizomes 1/2 lb Fresh Wasabi Rhizomes Price: $55.00 1 lb Fresh Wasabi Rhizomes 1 lb Fresh Wasabi Rhizomes Price: $99.00 .......................... .......................... 2 lb Fresh Wasabi Rhizomes
2 lb Fresh Wasabi Rhizomes
Price: $198.00 3 lb Fresh Wasabi Rhizomes 3 lb Fresh Wasabi Rhizomes Price: $297.00

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Sleepy

Pacific Wasabi is a neighbor of mine/ours and they've worked their asses off to try and grow 'true wasabi' in the Pacific Northwest and it hasn't been a viable experience for them.

Good folks and I wish them the best but growing wasabi is difficult - even in Japan.

HTH

CC

Sleepy

Veteran
great to see yourposts, clackamas coot!!

thanks for the info...

sure is one interesting tuber!

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
If I was closer to the coast, I bet I could at least grow my own for personal use, I imagine developing the growing technique would take a decade or more to perfect for commercial size production, no time like the present to get started!

But my climate is too warm in summer, obviously it takes a bit more of a Marine climate than I have to keep the temps under control. I've been researching this for years, and quit each time I can't find seeds, this time I did find the places in Florance and Seattle selling starts, but they are not selling at this time.

Here is the best info I have found concerning growing Wasabi-Growing Wasabi in the Pacific North-west: Washington state university