What's new

What does it take to get a decent printer??

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
I have yet to purchase a printer in the 11 years I've owned a PC, that I feel really worked right or as long as it should. It seems that without fail, they quit working right within 18 months out of the box.
I admit that the printers I've gone after usually sell for $80-$120 at Staples/Office depot, but they are not Wal-mart fall apart $40 specials either.

My tax refund should be in hand in the next month, and I desperately need a working printer. And I would like some advice/opinions on brands and models.

My stats/facts:

I'm not running a business or using this for school, I'll average less than 10 pages printed per week.

I've never planned on printing my digital pics(I use my computer as a photo album), but my wife seems to think pictures need to be printed. So I need a printer that will print photo quality.

I'm not using a Apple computer of any kind.........

I'd like to spend less than $200..........unless the printer is guaranteed gonna work for at least 5 years solid.

Brands I've tried and are now leery about: Lexmark & HP...........

Anyone have some suggestions???

barnyard

farm out your photo printing it will be alot cheaper for you and you'll get higher quality prints.

lexmark makes a decent printer at a good price

18 months sounds about right, they are made to be obsolete

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
i hear you man one of the printers i just bought crashed on me, no matter what i do it wont "read".

just bought another one thats working out at the moment..i never buy from the store i always buy them off craigslist. never pay more than 40 bucks either.

Che

Veteran
You can get an Epson 500 for under $100 at Costco and I like mine so far :) it does everything except wireless.. print scan copy fax

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
farm out your photo printing it will be alot cheaper for you and you'll get higher quality prints.
I don't really want to drive a hour to the nearest place with printing service, just to print pictures(I live in the backcountry :biggrin: ), its at Wal-mart and I'm not sure its cheaper. I'm also sure I don't want to print sex or marijuana pictures there either.

I do have to admit that the Lex-mark was my first and best of the garbage printers I've purchased.

I admit that all my printers have been ink jets, would a laser printer be of better quality?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
You can get an Epson 500 for under $100 at Costco and I like mine so far :) it does everything except wireless.. print scan copy fax
How long have you had it? How much do you use it, and for what? I don't really need a copier, scanner, or fax machine, maybe they have a version without the unneeded features.

Che

Veteran
I just grabbed it last week, mentioned it because your budget resembled mine.. I need it mainly to print out seedbay order forms and the like ;) The extra features are gravy, I was looking for a decent printer at a low price, this is what i found..

150wPimpin

Ive had my HP photosmart printer for over 4 years and its a beast

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Thanks, all of my printers seemed like bargains when I purchased them, but when they'd take dumps on me a year later I'd feel ripped off.

This time I'm looking for that mythical time prove model that is built to last, with more emphasis on the quality of the printer. I'm willing to pay well over $100 if it will last 5 years without serious problem.

K

kannubis

the problem with inkjets is the ink transfer head will crust/gunk up even if its not used
lasers are nice, but my toner cartridge costs almost a hundred bucks to replace
$399 canon mf5700 all in one since 2006

T

THC_Decapitator

id get a Epson Stylus model, just look over some reviews etc .

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
I buy a new printer every time the ink cartridges fail. Either Office Depot or Staples, and look at the clearance items. It's much cheaper than buying ink refills which are a total rip off.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I can't tell ya which brand will last longest. I've had a $50 Lexmark for 9 years and it still works. The only suggestion I have is to consider individual color cartridge models. It's cheaper to maintain and refills are a breeze. Combination color heads are a rip for endurance and are impossible to refill.

If you're willing to spend a few hundred, look for models that use toner instead of ink. Not sure if toner models are as high quality but toner is probably more economical unless you're willing to refill ink cartridges.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
just picked this badboy up a few weeks ago - Canon PIXMA MP560 Wireless Inkjet All-In-One Photo Printer. cant say enough good things about it! bought it based on the reviews and from previously owning a canon printer. $95.00 from amazon , free 2 day shipping if you have a prime account...

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
5 years ago I bought a Canon printer and it still works great.

The photos look better than walgreens photos, and prints them very fast.

When I bought the printer the ink cartriages were $7 per color and $15 for the black. They have doubled in price an now cost me $60 to replace all the ink, assholes.

I don't hardly ever use, twice a month and I think the ink evaporates out when not in use. I am going to refill them myself from now on, its a lot cheaper.

The quality of the printer has been stellar, I'd recommend Canon printers but not the price of their ink.

Edit; Canon PIXMA MP500

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I buy a new printer every time the ink cartridges fail. Either Office Depot or Staples, and look at the clearance items. It's much cheaper than buying ink refills which are a total rip off.
You realize you're shooting yourself in the foot when you find out that the ink cartridge that comes with the printer isn't even close to a 'full' one.

Buy one real cartridge and prove it to yourself. Lasts about 3-4 times as long as the one in a new printer.

The company makes money from selling you ink... not the printer.

KharmaGirl

~Resident Puck Bunny~
Veteran
I used to work in the printing industry. If you want ink jet, go for Canon Pixma or Epson Stylus. The way the Epson cartridges are, they won't dry out and Canon is great too. If you don't print much, look into a toner printer. Toners can't dry out and last forever, if you don't print alot.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
the problem with inkjets is the ink transfer head will crust/gunk up even if its not used
lasers are nice, but my toner cartridge costs almost a hundred bucks to replace
$399 canon mf5700 all in one since 2006
Inkjets clogging up is a big problem for me, probably because I don't use my printers often.

Can/do laser printers clog up? Do the cartridges last longer than ink jets?

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I used to work in the printing industry. If you want ink jet, go for Canon Pixma or Epson Stylus. The way the Epson cartridges are, they won't dry out and Canon is great too. If you don't print much, look into a toner printer. Toners can't dry out and last forever, if you don't print alot.
Toner printers can do photos as well? Any good models/brands to look for?

Latest posts

Latest posts