What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

oregon ommp question

G

grasspass

Hi, I could qualify for a Oregon med card , but wonder how discreet is it? My employer won't tolerate a mj user. [they only test if you get in a accident]. I have a fairly high paying job and have 3 people depending on me to make the money. If you get a card through a clinic like voter power do you have to be there with a group of people? [forget my gen doctor] I have a fairly public job [and safety related] and can't afford to be recognized by another patient and have that patient tell some customer I work with that I use cannabis.

theLION

dear grass pass

dear grass pass

if you an go get your card . check out the thc clinic and
if you could get a first appointment you may see no one but the DR . yes its worth it . i know state people who have cards hell cops have cards too yoiur medical information is private and just like say AIDS you should not have to tell everyonwe and if you companey likes yu they would keep you . remember uif the DR would put you on a pain pill they would not care so why is you other meds any differant .there are more people using natures help than you know .i hope this helps

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Hi, I could qualify for a Oregon med card , but wonder how discreet is it? My employer won't tolerate a mj user. [they only test if you get in a accident]. I have a fairly high paying job and have 3 people depending on me to make the money. If you get a card through a clinic like voter power do you have to be there with a group of people? [forget my gen doctor] I have a fairly public job [and safety related] and can't afford to be recognized by another patient and have that patient tell some customer I work with that I use cannabis.
The process of actually getting your card from the Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS) is pretty straight-forward. You have a doctor sign the paperwork and you submit it to the OMMP (Oregon Medical Marijuana Program) office near downtown Portland with a check for $100.00 and they issue a temporary card right on the spot. About 6-8 weeks later you get your card which is good for 1 year from the date that the card is issued and not the day that you submitted your paperwork.

Here's where the rub comes in. You can have your personal physician sign the paperwork and over 2,700 doctors in Oregon have done so. Some, like my doctor, will not become a 'medical marijuana card' doctor but does feel that the 10 conditions outlined in the state law passed by Oregon voters can be helped with cannabis.

If your doctor won't sign the paperwork then you'll have to go to one of the 3 clinics in the state. They are as follows

1. MAMA (Mothers Against Misuse and Abuse) which has been around for over 25 years. The founder spends a lot of time down in Salem testifying before the Oregon Legislature on issues relative to MMJ patients. They were around for 15+ years before the MMJ law was passed. Highly respected by most Oregon MMJ patients.

2. Voter Power is funded by George Soros and was founded, in part, by cannabis activist Jack Herer. This is a pure political group. They have some of the most talented group on its board of directors.

3. THCF - I have such little respect for this organization that I refuse to provide a link. The clown who heads this group up has had problems with the D.E.A. and D.O.J. mainly because he's an idiot. He had several patient files confiscated a couple of years back in a federal case that went to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals which he eventually won but not until the federal LEOs had had their hands on the records for several months.

Both MAMA and Voter Power have permanent locations in Portland and also provide clinics on a monthly (?) basis around the state, i.e. Southern Oregon, Central Oregon and Eastern Oregon.

The most laidback group is MAMA and because they've been around for over a quarter century and have an outstanding record with various organizations in and outside the MMJ area, they take very little, if any, criticism or ever have any problems with LEO groups.

Voter Power has a sheer amount of political power because of their financial endowments as well as their management and staff. Good people but definitely outside the normal 'MMJ help group' and such.

Getting your card through either of these organizations will insure that your security is intact. I can't say the same for THCF and their plethora of clinics around the country. 7 states I believe.

HTH

CC

mazzakush

I hit up mama's and i noticed that folks tended to keep to themselves not looking around and such.

I'm sure it would be no problem to don a pair of cheap sunglasses if your really concerned. They would be more then respectful of you protecting your privacy i imagine.

oregon_guy

I would have to second Clackamas and Mazzakush on the MAMA clinic if you are near the Portland area. Not only will they guide you through the process of getting your card, they will also help you get started through clone classes (named the Joy of Life class) and even send you home with some clones. As far as discreetness goes, I have never seen more than a handful of people in there at the same time. I do not think you would have to worry about that unless you are some high profile celeb and even then I am sure you could talk to them and get in when no one else is around.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I would have to second Clackamas and Mazzakush on the MAMA clinic if you are near the Portland area. Not only will they guide you through the process of getting your card, they will also help you get started through clone classes (named the Joy of Life class) and even send you home with some clones. As far as discreetness goes, I have never seen more than a handful of people in there at the same time. I do not think you would have to worry about that unless you are some high profile celeb and even then I am sure you could talk to them and get in when no one else is around.

Just my 2 cents worth.
The founder of MAMA.org is one of the strongest voices down in Salem regarding the Oregon MMJ program.

They're the best, IMHO

CC

E

EllieGrows

Does anyone know what mama's fee is? I got my regular doctor last year, but I had to pay full price for a visit because I don't have insurance. Looking to reduce costs next time around.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
It 'was' $175.00 earlier this year when I renewed my card. Fortunately my regular MD signed it for me for free so I didn't have to pay the deal at MAMA or Voter Power.

HTH

CC

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was also lucky that my Doc signed my forms. You should ask your Doc before going to one of the clinics. My doctor would rather me smoke then take Opiates so it was a no brainer for her I still need to take my pain meds but not as much as I use to. It took longer then 6 weeks to get my card. There so many people getting there cards that it takes allot longer and there short on man power.

Slim Pickens

Veteran
Another big thumbs up to MAMAS.Having been around awhile,I can tell you in all seriousness,that I would go no where else.

Period!

and yes,clinic's are expensive...(personnel...building...Dr...Insurance..electric...etc..but it's cheap insurance against the insecurities of an illegal grow).

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
MAMAS.org - very good. VoterPower.com - also very good.

I would run, as hard as I could from TCHF. Paul Stanford is a clown on too many levels to explain.

CC

G

grasspass

Thanks for the replies. I decided to wait until my very social teen that always has kids over moves out . I would be just about impossible not to get ripped off by a kid blabbing to another kid.

G

grasspass

Ashland alternative health is very private and I would use them but I'm going to wait. I don't need high quantities and can't use while I'm working anyway.

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran
Sorry to bump an old post but thought I'd share my experience Thursday where I called all the clinics and went into a few to check em out since I already have my records and my condition is a slam dunk. I won't be getting my card till payday.

MAMA- Price $200 for the office visit. Tiny waiting room but it was discreet. When I asked how much she went into the pitch about I need to fax my records and the State fee is only $20 if you're on food stamps..... I said. I have my records with me then asked again and she told me $200 and walked away.... she was "done with me". I was going to give them my records but left instead to see the other clinics.

THCF- Price $180 Called this place. Finally got a person on the phone and he had to be high as hell. 9:00 in the morning. He went into the pitch about how cheap the state was if you were on stamps and finally after he was done I asked again and he said it was $180.

Voter Power- $225 Called this place a few times and they never answered the phone. They list their price on the website.

MMCS -$200 A new one I think. I called and he went into the talk about how cheap the state was if I had food stamps and then said its $200. they take walk ins and supposedly in and out in 30-45 minutes. Friendliest I would say.

So anyways I'll be doing either MMCS or MAMA it really doesn't matter in the end. lol :jump:

W

whiterasta

So I have been lucky to have my Dr sign for me but his visit is 250$, but that is not why i posted.
As one of the first card holders (#173) let me tell you of some of the negatives of OMMP for someone in your position. If you ever become disabled or injured it provides no potection and having the card should you become permanently disabled may disqualify you for SSD. It may not seem ike a big deal now but a freak accident has left me seriously disabled and I absolutely would not have SSD if I had renewed my card. Now that said I do not know how the medical records are handled at these clinics and if you can just keep quiet and have no one find out about your card but it is in my medical file i have had a card. I had to explain to SS that I no longer used cannabis(ahem) medically to keep from having my case dumped. If you ommit having the card it can be construed as fraud and get you in serious trouble.
Finally there are still comunities whose PD refuse to acknowlege the OMMA (Beware of Reedsport:asskick: if you can't get a state trooper on the scene your card is your enemy there) and the issue of growing vs caregiver vs "clinic-oid" in oregon is a fucking mess and can also bring the same problems to you card or not employment wise you worry about going to a clinic.
The OMMA was a good law with provisions to make it better but has been whittled away at so it is a gauze-like protection within very narrow limits.These flimsy protections and narrow limits offer little real protection to those in sensitive work situations
A very good friend is a tug captain and caregiver to his wife. He lives in very real fear of any sort of publicity about their grow. As in having an issue and it getting back to his employers. Legally he is in full compliance but ocassionally outdoor grows are raided, make the paper and no follow up is printed stating it was a medical grow and legal ( doesn't look good on the cops so it rarely gets noted, charges are dropped and it is forgotten). He would lose a 30 yr career should this happen though he does not use it himself.
Some things to think about in using the OMMA as it is now.
Yours in southern oregon,
WR:deadxmas: