What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NFL 2018

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
Going to be a long season for the Lions I'm afraid. One dimensional o and porous d.
New coach wishing he had stayed in NE isn't going to help.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Dak regressed last year but the cowboys have allen hurns and tavon austin, who aren't great receivers but do have talent, in addition to cole beasley, who seems to have a rapport with dak. Dont know who's going to play TE for them, but overall i think this means more receptions for zeke elliott; that combined with his rushing means he might be the #1 RB in fantasy this year.

Sorry itarzan, i just heard that term in another forum and thought it was funny.

I havent seen the lowlights of manziel's game but i did hear maybe a couple of his int's werent really his fault, plus his team overall isnt very talented. Still, not a good look for him, but afterwards he said all the right things, the only thing he can do is try to be better, etc etc. Seems like most every cfl player is an ex-nfl player or at least former good college player, so he might never dominate at that level.

I drafted ameer abdullah in one of my leagues last year, HYF. I think i dropped him after a week or two, he's one of those guys who has a good game every 5-6 weeks, just not reliable enough for fantasy purposes. They have lagarrette blount now, and drafted a good RB out of auburn, so maybe their run game can at least be average. And their rapist coach, i mean alleged rapist coach, was a defensive coordinator, did some good things with a patriots defense that didnt have a lot of talent outside of a couple guys. Last year the pats were one of the worst defenses giving up yards but were one of the best at not giving up points, maybe he can work some magic with the lions.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
do you think dak will be effective this season with no established "#1" receiver? cole beasley had an off season last year but has decent hands; i just dont think he strikes the fear into most opposing defenses that dez brought
elliot is a big, strong back and i think he could put up good numbers even if the passing game took a step back; but if one of the young receivers steps up it will make things a lot easier
did something happen to whitten? he is a solid TE and plays his position well

*wait what!?!
ive got to put down the kush!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
They say beasley might play outside or X receiver, even though he's a small dude, because they have to make room for tavon austin in the slot. I think dak will be fine, he's going to spread the ball around, maybe throw it to zeke more, and also add value with his legs (he's as dangerous around the goal line as cam newton is). He's not going to throw for 4k yards and 30 tds, but 3500 and 25 tds is certainly possible, with another 500 yds and 6-8 tds rushing. His off line should be solid, and it's not like dez and witten were world beaters at this point anyway. Witten retired to replace gruden on MNF. So, nice for him, he wont have to take a paycut and he'll get to commentate on games instead of getting rocked by linebackers going over the middle.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
thanks for the update, i must have missed whittens retirement
the c'boys have the potential to be in the mix but are most likely looking at wild card status
/assuming the eagles win the east
dez has been having perenial off years so i wasnt too suprised that the cowboys let him go
fwiw, i like romo in the booth and hope whitten has a solid 2nd career in broadcasting
so who are you looking at drafting in the first round of your fantasy draft,baba'?
have you gotten your draft place yet? if you had the first pick, what would you do?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, witten's retirement kind of came out of left field. I think romo works for cbs or something and MNF is with abc/espn, so he couldnt break his contract and sign to be on MNF.

With releasing dez, dallas is having to makeover their receiving corps. Their backup TE, Geoff swaim, is going to be the starter now. He's mostly known for his blocking instead of his receiving, so maybe that helps out zeke even more - better run blocking, and also more short passes will go zeke's way instead of to the TE. So, if I had the #1 overall pick, i might go with Zeke over leveon, gurley, and david johnson. But really, you cant go wrong with either of those 4, or even antonio brown with a top 5 pick.

I actually dont mind having a lower pick, because in a snake draft if you pick #1 overall you don't pick again till pick #25 (assuming a 12 team league) whereas the last pick, #12, picks at #13 (1st pick of the 2nd round) immediately. So yeah, first pick, you get your stud but then have to sit there and watch while a whole bunch of other good players get snatched up before you get to pick again...

You thinking of joining a fantasy league, pop? You must know some chargers fans, some of them have to be in leagues. There's always people dropping out of leagues and so commissioners are looking to fill those empty spots.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
im not sure about fantasy this year, ive been on the fence for a while but sill havent made the leap
the few remaining charger fans i know are mostly old timers who are not interested in fantasy football, but a few friends belong to leagues
/the group i wanted to join has a steep buy in so i decided to pass
so lets talk bears, baba'
whats the scoop in trubisky so far? i think you have a decent backfield with howard and tarik but what about the rest of the skill positions?
even if the offence dosent pan out, how do you feel about the defense?
have you guys signed your first round pick yet?
/i think hes the last first round pick yet to sign
i am ready for tomorrow! lets get this season started, fellows!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, i dont play in any money leagues but if there's a big buy in fee, it could be a bad idea to play in those leagues especially if youre a rookie. Although i could give you some advice and point you to some resources that would help make you competitive at least.

The bears' backfield should be solid if predictable: if jordan howard is in, it's a run, if it's tarik, probably a pass. The receiving corp with robinson, miller, gabriel, burke is completely revamped, and maybe kevin white stays healthy and contributes also.
The bears project to be at least average on both offense and defense, with upside potential. Maybe they'll finish 9-7 or even better, but with 6 games vs the vikings/packers/lions, it's iffy. Lions are the worst of those 3 and even then theyre not that bad.

This is the point where it seems like the bears really are cheap. They're arguing with roquan smith, the #8 overall pick, over offset language in his deal. That if he gets suspended by the league for off field stuff (drugs, domestic violence, etc) the bears get to recoup some of his bonus money.
He doesnt seem like he's a risk for getting arrested or popped for drugs, so im not sure why the bears are stale-mating with him, but he's losing valuable practice time, and this hurts his chances of contributing this season...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
the chargers went through the same stupid song/dance with joey bosa about offset language and while he missed camp he went on to blow up opposing offenses once he got on the field
/if you are so concerned about character issues, why draft would you the guy in the first round?
i think the preseason counts as missed games and there could be fines against smith for holding out and missing games
a couple other big name contract hold outs are khalil mack of the raiders and arron donald with the rams
i mentioned how i thought the buy in was kind of steep and my friends said it mostly went to the partys and stuff at the end of the season, but still, you dont learn to swim by jumping into deep water
i was thinking of getting into one of the nfl.com leagues or another of the free sites
hey brother, even if i dont play, anything football related is like gold to me so if you know of some good fantasy sites i would like to check out the links
watching the rams bench get spanked by the ravens starters, and i might stream the some of the other action later
been waiting a long time for some football!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
It's interesting you would mention bosa's holdout because roquan smith has the same agents (CAA) as joey did. Doing some more research into the stalemate im not sure it's entirely the bears' fault; it seems like roquan doesn't want any money withheld even for on field actions that are his fault (fighting, pushing a ref, etc). Maybe the bears dont want to set a dangerous precedent?

There's tons of free, public fantasy leagues on nfl, yahoo and espn you can join, although a lot of those might have members who become uninterested midway through the season.
Reddit has a good fantasy football forum (subreddit) where they cover most of the currently debated news. As far as resources, on that subreddit they regularly post something called beersheets and boris chen's rankings for weekly fantasy rankings. Those are good resources if you dont care to do your own research for hours every week. Also, if you get into it, you have to be sure of your league's settings: 12 team, 10 team, 8 team. 1 or 2 QB leagues. Is it PPR (point per reception) or half ppr (you get half a pt per reception). Those settings are a big factor in rankings - in a full PPR league antonio brown may be the #1 overall player, in a half ppr league he may be #10 or lower.

Lot of action around the league last night, 12 games. Two more tonight and two more on saturday.
Bears starters didnt play well against the bengals. Bengals actually looked pretty good, joe mixon and john ross might be fantasy studs this season.

Rams lost big to the ravens but that's preseason; the browns went 4-0 in the preseason last year and went 0-16 in the regular season.
Lamar jackson had a nifty touchdown run, made a couple nice cuts to get into the end zone. Flacco's injury free and playing well in camp and last night, so maybe joe keeps his job the whole season, but if he keeps racking up those 150yd, 1td and 1int games, i can see the ravens putting in lamar to spark the offense.

Luck played well, took a couple hits and was unfazed.
Josh allen of the bills played with the 3rd stringers and showed off his arm strength. Impressive velocity on this throws, seems like he can zip the ball through some tight windows. Maybe he won't be a bust after all.
Baker mayfield looked good, had good pocket presence and touch and scrambled a couple times to pick up first downs. If he can live up to his draft status, that cleveland dawg pound will be rocking on sundays.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
thanks for the advice baba'! i will be sure to check out the reddit site and search for fantasy football threads
maybe i will join up with one of those free sites just to dip a toe and try the game out
who knows how much i will get into it, but it sounds like fun
i dont put any significance on preseason action other than checking out how the players function as a unit and how the young/ bench players preform
like in the rams game, they had their second team start the game against the ravens #1's and it showed; the win/ loss totals are pretty meaningless like you said
this next week of games should be better, hopefully we will see more first team players on the field at least for a few series; i think the third week is the best, thats when they usually let the starters play a whole half
but we have also seen some early injuries across the league and a lot of people question if there should even be a preseason at all
great find baba', i had no idea that bosa and smith share the same agent!
i agree that it would be setting a pretty dangerous precedent for the bears to agree to such terms
seriously, he thinks he should not be held accountable for his actions like that?
hope your week wrapped up nicely and you are having a great weekend, brother
we are heading out to the beach later tonight to check out the grunion run;im not interested in spawning fish but the perseid meteor shower will be going off hopefully and a dark beach should offer great views
stay cool my man and have a great weekend!

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
thanks caliprop'
how does your line up look this season, if you had a top pick who would you nab?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I wish we could get an icmag fantasy league going but it'd be hard to do that and be anonymous. Too bad cause i'd smoke all you fools.

Yeah, just found out the rams didnt even play their starters. Guess theyre being even more conservative than most teams during the preseason. If the nfl ever goes to an 18 game regular season, the thinking is that they would remove 2 preseason games, basically the last 2 preseason games would now be regular season games.

I think roquan is the last 1st round pick not to sign a contract, not sure how it's going to play out but it's only hurting the team at this point. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Besides watching grunion wriggle around on the sand and mix their eggs and semen, do you catch some for eating? There's a type of little fish in lake michigan called smelt that some people like to fry up and eat whole. Ive had them before and theyre not bad, theyre small enough where the heads and bones arent an obstacle to chewing and swallowing, but still id prefer a nice boneless fish fillet...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
the mrs and the girl were talking about catching a couple for eating but i want nothing to do with them
i am not a bog fan of fish and see no reason to even touch them, especially when they are covered in their sex juices
we dident see any grunion last night but saw a whole bunch of shooting stars
it was fun and the grils friend even bought me some tacos on the way home!
i dont balme the rams for sitting their starters, a lot of the veteran players dont really play much during the preseason; i remember LT would get a couple touches in and then sit the rest of the time
but these are guys who stay in shape year round, know the playbook inside out and have several years in the system
i enjoy the preseason because its a good time to scout young players but think it adds unnecessary risk to the starters (the games dont count in the standings but the injuries are still real)
every now and then you hear talk about extending the season; the fan in me is all for it but i can also see the downside in the extra wear and tear
would you add the games in the beginning and start a few weeks early or at the end and have the playoffs start a couple week later
/just thoughts about it and another concession could be an additional bye week late in the season to give the players an extra week to rest
this weeks preseason games look like it has some good match ups and we should see the starters for a series or two

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Yeah, fish are slimy enough without being covered in sex juices. Even a good wash and cleaning aint enough to make me think theyre clean enough to eat.

Do they have taco trucks in your area, pop? I was once on vacation in san francisco, made a trip over to oakland for some of their late night taco trucks. Good carnitas...

Most of the young players on the 2nd and 3rd string are pretty anonymous to me, they wont even be on a roster when the season starts, but i am interested in seeing how the young QB's perform. Broncos played sat night and their offense was pretty bad until chad kelly came in. He was a good player for Ole Miss, had some big wins in the SEC for them, and i think he's a more viable backup qb for denver than paxton lynch is.

Speaking of denver the bears face them next in the preseason. Maybe the starters for both teams will play more.

Derrius Guice, the rookie RB for the redskins, tore his acl last week in their preseason game. He had potential to have a top 10 fantasy season at his position, but now we'll have to wait till next year to see how he performs.

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
I hope Aaron Rogers shoulder is well, go Packers!:)

In the moment I watch All or Nothing on amazon prime. An 8 part documentation about the last Season of the Dallas Cowboys.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
those football series on prime look interesting,hermanthegerman'
there is another one called hard knocks that follows a team through its training camp, i think this season its the browns
it sounds very interesting to me, have you watch all 8 episodes, yet?

hahah, yeah we have food trucks out here baba'
they are really hit and miss so i kind of dont bother with them
they have them for every food under the sun man, i think the low start up cost encourages variety
/the other week i saw one driving on the freeway that had cajun food like aligator
we usually stick to the spots we know and went to a favorite mex'joint thats open late not far from the beach we went to
whats popular in your area,man
i know you guys are known for your deep dish, but what else do you guys like?
so it looks like da'bears came to terms with their first round pick
hopefully he can get some reps in and more importantly learns the playbook
AB#84 is hurt again plus i dont think the steelers have yet to come to terms with le'veon bell
things are starting to get real,brothers; im ready for football

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
What's up Herman? You eating well over in deustchland?

Yeah, rodgers and the packers are healthy and should be able to dominate this season. They might have a pretty good defense to go along with #12, which would make them even scarier than usual.

I havent heard of the amazon nfl series, the cowboys one is the 3rd season, i think the first season was on arizona, second was on the rams. The cowboys season seems jerry-centric but if it includes enough shots of the cheerleaders i might give it a watch.

Stuffed pizza is the standard around here, Pop, but i understand why some people think it's a pizza casserole, the amount of cheese in it can be overwhelming. It's good when it's hot and fresh but reheating it can disappoint, the sauce gets all dried up and the center can still be cold.

Other than that i like taco bell. I know it's a travesty compared to real mexican food but something about that dirty, dirty fast food just hits my taste buds the right way. Maybe im part homeless guy.

Hopefully antonio brown starts the season healthy. Leveon might sit out all of training camp before playing the regular season, that will probably lead to a slow start for him, which i why i wouldnt pick him if i had the #1 overall pick.

ESPN's fantasy football show did a live show at chargers camp last week, you might like it. Did interviews with all the top players, nothing too illuminating but interesting to hear:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/2942325

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
Yes, I like the series, the year before the had the Rams in the series. Very interesting, with the move from St. Louis to LA. God thanks it´s translated in german. It was funny to hear how often they said fuck and shit and those bad words.:biggrin: Yes, We saw all 8 episodes.

I really like Football, but I don´t know much Details of the Teams or Players. Here in Germany it´s not a big theme. You got it better, Football is in every media, like Soccer here.

Latest posts

Latest posts