What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Automated RDWC vs Wilma drip system

Guerreiroweed

Greetings my friends, I've been wondering recently about what will be my next growth system, I've grown in common dwc once but it didn't work well due to excessive heat, now I'm growing in coco and it works amazingly, but I want to start thinking about my next project in a way that can go a couple days without looking into the system, I want to start traveling more...
So my main ideas are
1- a 8 site rdwc with a arduino based pH controller/solenoid valves for dosing 3 part gh flora series, or maybe Lucas formula, also a chiller for the reservoir
2- two Wilma trays with 4 sites each, medium would be coco coir

Now the question, about the Wilma, as it's a reservoir is there any chance I can have problems with pythium? Because if I would need to buy a chiller for the wilmas, I would rather go for rdwc, but if it isn't a issue, I could get the wilmas in like 2 months (my usual temp is 27 in grow and 23-25 in reservoir, data from my last dwc), the rdwc would demand at least 4-5 months because of the automation and chiller, how many days can I spend away from the Wilma, monitoring in a IP camera?

Also planning on building a isolated room with arduino controlled co2 emission and obviously a ac unit, but that would be in the 5 months.

Niwashi

I would go for RWDC. I recently switched from GH trio to AN PH perfect trio. I have left it unattended for 11 days with no problems. I also recommend using an enzyme to keep the system clean, I use Flying Skull Z7.

I too wanted to go for full automation but realized it wasn't really necessary. I originally had a raspi controlling lights and the fan (triggered by temp or humidity) but realized that it was just easier to use smart outlets on a simple schedule.

bigbadbillybob

I would also go with the rdwc, but you will need a chiller.
Another option would be to modify the wilmas to a hybrid drip/ rdwc system, but you would still need a chiller.
Also both systems can be left for a week or more if you get a separate auto top up res, run off a float valve.

I was recently looking at Heath Robinsons old modded Wilma system, where he uses 3 tanks to run a perpetual grow. The tanks are linked, it has a top up res too, but the only down side I can see is that he would have to feed all 3 tanks at the ec for the entire grow, which wouldn't really be ideal, but going by the size of colas he was harvesting I guess it must work. Have a look at you tube under perpetual hydroponic grow heath robinson. 1.2 gram per watt, and 26 ounces every 3 weeks, under 600w HPS is not to be sniffed at

Latest posts

Latest posts