What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bowhunting

jesbuds

Burt?....That you?
deliverance-picture-insert-2.png

:)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
heading into the woods today, scouting stand locations, building a ground blind or two so the deer/turkeys will be used to it by next month...:woohoo:

Bwanabud

Season's coming fast here, I'm heading to the mid-west to set stands and cameras...do some scouting and farmer azz kissing :)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good luck hunting fellas.

I got a couple Bama Bows long bows, 40 & 55 lbs @ 29inches.
I'm not proficient enough to trust myself letting one fly at a critter yet. Well... maybe rabbits n chipmunks that are messing around in my garden... I accidentally shot a branch off a plant off last year.

I need to shoot shoot shoot & I haven't been so no bow hunting this year.

Bwanabud

You're a smart man, and conscientious hunter Sir, most don't bother to worry about it. I shoot 12 months a year, indoor league in winter & 3d's all summer...got a 70yd range at my house, and practice with broadheads all year. It takes a lot of work to stay lethal with your archery equipment, but wounding an animal burns my ass for months.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Good luck hunting fellas.

I got a couple Bama Bows long bows, 40 & 55 lbs @ 29inches.
I'm not proficient enough to trust myself letting one fly at a critter yet. Well... maybe rabbits n chipmunks that are messing around in my garden... I accidentally shot a branch off a plant off last year.

I need to shoot shoot shoot & I haven't been so no bow hunting this year.

got any pics of your Bama bows? some guys on an archery website i visit some talk about theirs. compared to lots of other brands, they are supposed to be quite reasonably priced for the quality...i quit shooting recurves a few years back & have gone to longbows & self-bows.

Tynehead Tom

420giveaway
I don't bow hunt but it's sure is nice to see the hunting conversation.... which I pretty much live to do. Just finishing up storing up my salmon for the winter supply and my thoughts are turning to opening day mule deer hunting in 1 week :) A good buddy of mine has a moose tag for my region so i'll be helping him out to see if I can't put him on a local bull.
I will be buying some archery gear this year but hard pressed to put my trusty deer rifle down. We have been thru a lot together over the years hehehe.

Good luck everyone and be safe out there ;)

Bwanabud

Got some bruiser bucks on film today, I'll post em up after I down load them. I'm into digiscoping (spotting scope/camera), it lets you reach out and touch them.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
finally got to hunt today. so many damn turkeys that you had to kick them out of the way to walk through the woods, LOL! saw zip/nada deer, however, and a 3 legged coyote too far off to shoot at. :)

Bwanabud

Big storms here for the past few days, heading west for 3 days of scouting/scoping on Saturday with my son...bunch of cameras to check.

I have a forty # recurve bow that I've been practicing with and almost to the point where I would be confident shooting at a critter. Would like to get some heavier limbs on it first as it is a takedown bow, was thinking fifty pounds. My draw is probably more like 30 inch, so should be sufficient but would hate to cause unnecessary pain. I'll keep practicing for now.

Bwanabud

I have a forty # recurve bow that I've been practicing with and almost to the point where I would be confident shooting at a critter. Would like to get some heavier limbs on it first as it is a takedown bow, was thinking fifty pounds. My draw is probably more like 30 inch, so should be sufficient but would hate to cause unnecessary pain. I'll keep practicing for now.

45-50 lbs is more than enough for deer species, including elk and caribou. Make sure to use heavy shafts over 450 grains, with a cut-on-contact broadhead...with your draw length kinetic energy will be very high, speed and penetration will be very good.

Most recurves/long bows poundage ratings are measured at 28 inches of draw, so you may be getting more limb poundage than you think...best to mark an arrow with a rape measure, then have someone watch you draw...and take note of the measurement at the rest location. AMO is rest measurement + (plus) 1 3/4"=draw length...from the deepest part of the grip.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
Our bow season is over but I did well. I shoot a crossbow now due to injuries but for close to 40 years I used a compound and a nice custom recurve. I bagged both a five and seven pointer . I can still use it during the current gun season which goes to the end of the year but gotta wear the orange.
This past Monday I got a nice 8 point with my muzzle loader that weighed 172 lbs dressed. .50 cal TC Omega/Nikon 3x9 scope with 250 grain Powerbelt Aerolite bullet.
Im still going out. Want to put a couple does in the freezer as I have two tags for them. I can use a shotgun this week too but I prefer the muzzle loader.

Thanks bwanabud. I'll be at the range again on Tuesday would be useful to know the actual poundage because I suspect it is more like 45 pounds. I'll have to check what shafts I'm using but I'm pretty sure I went on the heavier side.

Bwanabud

If you take the bow to a quality pro shop, they could tell you the poundage at a given draw length. Or hook up an accurate hook scale with a yard stick on the wall, then see what it's true weight is.

Remember: The shaft spine of your arrow is dictated by bow weight/arrow length/draw length/weight of tip.

If you're a true 30" draw, you're a big orangutan bro :biggrin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
If you take the bow to a quality pro shop, they could tell you the poundage at a given draw length. Or hook up an accurate hook scale with a yard stick on the wall, then see what it's true weight is.

Remember: The shaft spine of your arrow is dictated by bow weight/arrow length/draw length/weight of tip.

If you're a true 30" draw, you're a big orangutan bro :biggrin:

scratches knees without bending at waist...:biggrin:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
for those that think September is too hot/early to deer hunt, the idiots that set our seasons have now inflicted a 3 day bowhunt in fucking August on us! apparently, stupidity is not something that you can run out of, but comes in bottomless containers...i will NOT be out there! i am seldom seen more than 6 feet from an A/C unit in August unless i am wading a stream fishing in the shade...:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts