What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

lucas in a nutshell?

Dudesome

Veteran
Heya folks.
im not sure if the answer to this is somewhere in there or not, but just for the sakes of time I hope this can get answered :)
Im currently having a 1 girl in a canna coco professional plus.
my question is this:

Can I use tap water ppm 74 with 0-9-6 and 1 gram of epsom salt? I lack the ro unit and not sure how hard a 74ppm water is...

Flo Grow

I have only tried Rez's The Recipe aka The Rezipe, but may have to give this a side by side comparison with clones.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
74 ppm is pretty low but, absent actual signs of Mag deficiency, I'd try to get by with the mag in the nutes along with proper pH.

Generally speaking, the veg formula is 0:1:1 and bloom formula being 0:1:2. Any reason why you're running 0:3:2?

Dudesome

Veteran
i think i meanth the 0-6-9 actually. its the modified formula for coco
as for mg - epsom salt is the thing to help I guess

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
floranova bloom is the Lucas Formula in a bottle, 8mL per gallon = full strength Lucas

I started with the Lucas formula and derived my own style through experience. I would suggest startiing clones with 2.5mL per gallon and work your way up to 8 from there. Easy sauce.

OpiO

lucas formula nuts ratio noob question...

lucas formula nuts ratio noob question...

Hi there,

iam gonna try out lucas formula for my next run.
but for me its not clear why using 7g of MAXIBLOOM and 8ml of FLORANOVA should result in the same nutrient ratio...

MAXIBOOM 5-15-14
FLORANOVA 4-8-7

for me there is nearly double as much Phosphor and Potasium in the MAXIBLOOM mix than in the FLORANOVA mix..

why should this end up in the same result, dont get it :dunno:.
someone please explain me.

thx so far, :tiphat:

opi :wave:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
Me too. It's the third part (the missing part, the "0", MicroGrow) thats worthless. That's why we leave it out. In the words of Dire Straits, its, "Money for nuthin'." To make matters worse, NO CHICKS free or otherwise.
:wave:

am i understanding you are saying you run lucas with grow and bloom only (without the micro) ???

i got some old grow i need to used up...

Ptone

Here are my personal Lucas Formula notes that I took while the Lucas Formula thread.

"General Hydroponics makes a 3-part system named the FLORA series. It consists of FLORA GRO, FLORA MICRO, and FLORA BLOOM. These are 3 bottles you buy, that you would normally use together throughout the entire grow. You may use it as per the instructions on the bottle, with excellent results, but...

Lucas figured out that FLORA MICRO contains enough nitrogen, and everything else that FLORA GRO contains, that you use it with FLORA BLOOM alone, saving you from having to buy FLORA GRO.

How do you use it? Simple. Add 8ml of Flora Micro (dark red stuff) to 1 gallon of water*, mix, and then add 16ml of Flora Bloom (pink stuff) into the water, and mix. Done - unless you're growing in coco. If so, see below.'"

Basically 8ml Micro / 16ml Bloom.
This is the starting point. For higher PPM Plants its 1 part micro / 2 parts Bloom.

Notes I've taken doing research for this Formula.

Contains perfect NPK ratio for cannabis 100-100-200

NO Additives needed!!!!

No Flushing required

This can be done with any type of growing. Hydro (All Types) Soilless (All Types) Soil

Add back Method / Top off method so you never have to drain a res during a grow again.

Measure the PPM / PH every 24 hours.
-Measure PPM / PH before top-off
-If PPM / PH don't change you are DIALED in (at the current stage) do a 100% Add Back of nutes per Gallon
-If PPM Drops / PH Rises plant is eating more than drinking needs more food
-If PPM Rises / PH Drops plant is drinking more than eating needs less food
-Top Off Res with PH'd RO water ONLY
-Measure PPM / PH after Water only top off
-Addback Formula Super's add back Calculator
-Take 1 gallon of water out of res
-Add back nutrients needed

Addback Formula - ((target - current) / target) * 8 ml per gallon * res gallons = Flora Micro (ml) double this figure to get Flora Bloom (ml)

Example: I started out at 1000ppm I top off res and PPM is 800.
((1000-800) / 1000) *8 *25 Gallon Res

I would need to add 40ml Micro 80ml of Bloom to reach my Target PPM.

Here is a very very well put togather Add back Calculator.
Super's add back Calculator

Good Resources
Ask Lucas! <- This is a must read
http://lucasformula.com/
lucas formula 2.0 how-maximize lucas formula

I hope this helps!

-Ptone

OpiO

Thanks for putting together this helpful info. This will proberbly help someone understand the basic idea of the LF. But it doesn't answer my questions
If i take 1 gal water and i add 8ml of floranova (4 - 8 - 7 - 2) I get a compete different nutrient concentration ratio compared to if i would add 1 gram maxibloom (5 - 15 - 14 - 3,5) And both solutions should be very similar?
The maxiboom mix is much more potent on p and k.?
Thats what i dont understand.

St3ve

am i understanding you are saying you run lucas with grow and bloom only (without the micro) ???

i got some old grow i need to used up...

No, he missed typed it as MicroGrow.. he should have typed FloraGrow.

you only use Micro and Bloom

St3ve

Thanks for putting together this helpful info. This will proberbly help someone understand the basic idea of the LF. But it doesn't answer my questions
If i take 1 gal water and i add 8ml of floranova (4 - 8 - 7 - 2) I get a compete different nutrient concentration ratio compared to if i would add 1 gram maxibloom (5 - 15 - 14 - 3,5) And both solutions should be very similar?
The maxiboom mix is much more potent on p and k.?
Thats what i dont understand.

I see what your point is, but I'm not sure where you got maxibloom from. Its not part of any of this. The two comparisons you should be making are FloraNova Bloom (1part) and FloraMicro+FloraBloom (2part)

CannabisFox

maxibloom is very common too.

I think the answer for OpiO is that the actual ratio doesnt really matter as long as the plant can get all it need and doesnt get overfed with salts. So as long as these two parameters are hold in place everything is alright.. and obviously it works with Gh, floranova and maxibloom.

btw i recommend floranova cause its so fuckin potent... you dont even need to take those 8ml/g to get an appropriate ec.
well and lower K ratio can get you more female plants out of regular seeds.

OpiO

I see what your point is, but I'm not sure where you got maxibloom from. Its not part of any of this. The two comparisons you should be making are FloraNova Bloom (1part) and FloraMicro+FloraBloom (2part)

from http://thelucasformula.com/

saying

Lucas Formula using GH’s Maxibloom

Maxibloom

MaxiBloom and MaxiGro are a dry nutrient from General Hydroponics. Maxibloom, used in a ratio of 7 grams per gallon of RO water, is very close to the original Lucas Formula (above.) You do not need MaxiGro, so this is the cheapest and easiest recipe to use.
Add 7 grams of Maxibloom into 1 gallon of RO water, then adjust the pH, and stir vigorously to dissolve the Maxibloom in the water. Lucas advised of putting the 7g of Maxibloom into a cup of warm water, dissolving it, and then adding it to the remaining gallon of water. Adjust pH and mix.

Lucas Formula using GH’s FloraNova

floranova-258x300.jpg
GH FloraNova

FloraNova is probably the easiest (but not cheapest – see MaxiBloom above) feeding plan available. If you’re using General Hydroponics’ FloraNova Bloom 1-part system, simply add 8ml of FloraNova per gallon of RO water and feed.

I think the answer for OpiO is that the actual ratio doesnt really matter as long as the plant can get all it need and doesnt get overfed with salts. So as long as these two parameters are hold in place everything is alright.. and obviously it works with Gh, floranova and maxibloom.

thats the point.

when i was reading some threads about lucas formula, it seemed to me, that lucas wanted to provide a base formula for plants as easy as it gets without running into deficiencies, with the principle "less is more" (able to use only 2 parts of a 3 part system ;GH, AN ..)
and with the big advantage not needing to drain the system cause, you only use the nutrient ratio THE PLANTS NEED, and notin more... so in the end of the day the plant will have eaten up everything u put in your system...

so if Floranova is working that well (4-8-7) without deficiencies.
and i use Maxibloom (5-15-14),

whats happening with the (1-7-7) that maxibloom more potent than Floranova.

these salts start building up in the medium or you just through them away

or just feed water after that, to use the (1-7-7)...

ONLY when blooming, not needing the Nitrogen

means i can use Floranova with every feeding full strength
and if you use Maxibloom .... feed-water-feed-water-....

still no clue..
thx anyway, :tiphat:

opi

CannabisFox

OpiO you always want to drain your system once in a while. Only case where you dont need to is when you use biological filters.

so in the end of the day the plant will have eaten up everything u put in your system...
Not. Its nearly impossible to calculate the nuts to the exact dose the plants take.

You always have some salts/nuts left thats why you need to drain. When you go bio-filters those microorganism take care of those nuts the plants dont take.

The extra 1-7-7 of maxibloom just doesnt matter at all. Plant takes what it needs rest goes out with drain. Thats all

OpiO

well , thanks.

just saw that maxibloom is not available in europe, so my problem is solved ;)
i have to try out FLORANOVA.
will post some pic , how Casey jones, trainwreck and chiesel like the hempy bucket coco with Floranova.

have a nice day ;

opi