What's new

2 meanwell 600h-54A in series?

ways2

I've found a couple of vague instructions stating how its ok but to add a resistor on one leg of each to prevent polarity correction error. I wouldn't be as wary if it weren't for the dual outputs. What about connecting the paralleled outputs in serial since they are split, having two 6A 54V, can i double the voltage? planning to series/parallel 6 luna 100 cobs which can max at 220w 6A, so am planning to run 3 strings of 4 , but was going to use a dc/dc boost converter, to be able to get 36v x 3 strings of 4 cobs, with the ability to drive each cob from 1.86A - 3.73A , 134 watts per cob if were 100% efficient of course. These cobs are ideal for parallel wiring as they are a flip-chip design which supposedly increases thermal efficiency thru lowered resistance.

ways2

Please feel free to criticize or whatever but it's a bit disheartening that out of 70 some odd people, no one has any input? Whats someone have to do to get some positive, encouraging feedback anyplace these days?

Sinfor

You are right, in series voltages are added.
For that array i would use a rectifier bridge and some resistors for each string(assuming your voltage is 110-120V AC)

OldPhart

Please feel free to criticize or whatever but it's a bit disheartening that out of 70 some odd people, no one has any input? Whats someone have to do to get some positive, encouraging feedback anyplace these days?

Sorry you are not getting the response you are looking for. Given your original post, I can only guess that nobody can make any sense out of what you're talking about. I can't make enough sense out of it to determine what you're talking about, or what you are asking. If you are talking about combining outputs from LED drivers, like you would batteries; BAD idea! If you are planning on putting anything besides LEDs on the output of an LED driver, such as any voltage/current modifying devices; BAD idea. If you have questions, please try to be more clear about what you are asking.

ways2

Sorry was unclear. Someone suggested combining the Meanwell supplys' output's in series, theoretically increasing the voltage from 54v to 108v using 2 - Meanwell HLG-600h-54A. Even Meanwell's site recommends this, but not specifically for this supply. The main question i have is.. So, there are dual outputs on this model, which are paralleled, can i wire them in series since they are both 5.6A/54V , given the specs of 11.2A/54V? Or is there some protective "anti-" circuitry which will need to be balanced maybe using resistor's? Am still a novice when it comes to diy electric circuits.

Sinfor

If you wire in series both outputs you will short circuit. That supply is single output, if you want 11.2A/54V u have to adjust the current.

OldPhart

Hey, I had been meaning to post back here, but forgot. I did a decent amount of research, and like Sinfor said, the two outputs on the same driver, are really just there for the convenience of hooking up two circuits, internally they are the same output. Now what I did find interesting was that there are people out there taking multiple drivers and connecting the outputs in series; and it is apparently working. I would think that trying to connect constant current circuits in series would have all sorts of funky results, like the output oscillating between being current limited and voltage limited by Vmax out. If I was trying to do this I think I would set the current on one driver higher than the other, so that the driver set at the higher current would just stay pegged at Vmax. I tried to find any documentation that MeanWell approves of such uses, and was not able to find any information on that.

ways2

Have emailed meanwell's tech support and will report what they say. The supply is single output but it still splits into two , i think this is to compensate for the current. which splits the 11.2A into two 5.6A/54V outputs. i realize its still technically only "one" output, but couldn't these be series/paralleled using 6 cobs? So 3 strings wired in series, each string being pair of cobs wired in parallel per HLG-600h. I'm confused about using resistors to protect or basically "neutralize" any failsafe safety features which the dual outputs might have wired, like reverse-polarity protection , etc. Objectively would like to run 6 per supply . LED COB ,

Flip Chip OPTO - Luna 100 - 6-3000k; 6-3500k; 6-4000k; 6-5000k
1 COB = 36.6V / 5.6A / 217.7W
3 strings _ series \ parallel wiring
_4 COB's = 36.6V / 7.4A / 403.2W
So by wiring two HLG-600h's in series-paralleled, theoretically can get the 109.8V per string, which there are 3 of , each string composed of 4 COB's, each COB rated nominally at 36.6V required to light up the LED, then its max rating is 5.6A / 217W.
Will take some pictures to post momentarily. Just wanted to reply in the meantime.