What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Newbie first timer

Sharkbite

Hi, I have been recommended this site to possibly find some solutions to my girls. I’m a first timer and started this project based on autoflower growing. I started out with a budget grow and have come to find so much information on growing, don’t get me wrong I love this stuff, for it has become my new hobby but I have failed at my first attempt luckily I only lost one. I have since changed my soil in hopes to get better results. My issue is my new coco soil seems to be holding water. I have a fellow grower who suggested I use this soil, keep in mind I was try ing to do this on a budget so my products all can from local hardware store. This is probably my biggest issue. As I have learned a great deal since my initial investment.
So I’ll get to the point I’m using,
1. 2x3 ft closet
2. I have 250 watts of led lights with 4 additional red and violet small bar led grow lights, they r only 15w each.
3. My pot are 10”w x9”d
4. My soil is coco based with 12-12-12 nutrients the name is Burpee.
5. 6” fan for air I keep at the top of the plant for air circulation.
6. I have a humidifier but recently removed as my RH was 50 now 35
7. I’m using a purified water which ph is in the 6-7 using ph strips. So I’m getting a real ph test meter.
8. I run my light 24 hrs.
9. My lights are 24” from plants.
10. Seeds are Amnesia Haze and are 6 days above ground.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Get rid of the Burpee and buy Canna or similar.

Raise humidity above 50% @ 75-80F.

Read the stickied threads as much as possible.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Welcome to ICMag!! :D

I'm sure you'll find the information you need here. It's either been posted already, or will be when asked. :) A lot of good people on here.

Your first issue is the hardware store coco. Is it a combination soil/coco, or is it straight coco? Either way, my first recommendation is to find something suitable to mix/dilute it with. Either a better quality coco or a soil, depending on what the Burpee stuff is made of. You want the soil to drain well and to also dry out reasonably quickly.

Your 6" fan is for air within the tent, do you have any fans bringing fresh air into the tent and exhausting top/warm air out the top?

Your humidity is 35%, what are your temps? What do you calculate your temps will be the next 2-3 months till harvest?

You can pick up a "Jellas" brand pH meter from Amazon or other places for under $20. Save some $$ for equipment/soil changes. ;)

Cannabis, as a plant, does better with at least a few hours of dark. You can save 4hrs worth of electricity a day and still get the same results, with slightly healthier plants. :)

The second largest issue I see is using autoflowers as a beginner. Once you master the first 3 weeks of sprout and growth, you'll see a significant increase in your yields. Autoflowers are not kind to mistakes made in these first few weeks. I strongly recommend spending some time reading in the autoflower forum, you'll find a lot of great info specific to autos.

The lights should be fine, if the seedlings show inches of stem growth you'll need to lower them.

All in all it sounds good except the coco. Without changing anything there, I would recommend cutting down on the amount of water used. Dampen a small area around the plant, instead of watering the entire bucket. It should need water once every 1-3 days, but you'll find better advice in the coco section. Another sub-forum I recommend reading everything available there.

Congratulations on your decision to join the community here. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. :D

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
welcome aboard mate

you need to decide, are you doing a coco grow, or are you doing a soil grow with some coco mixed into the soil?

if you are gonna go with pure coco, you will need to have coco specific nutrients. also cheap coco can be very high in salt levels. might want to flush that coco till the return ec is around 0.8

speaking of which coco systems need ph and ec meters to dial in.

so what is it, a coco mix or a soil mix?

Latest posts

Latest posts