What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Did Mexico Just Legalize Pot?

iBogart

Veteran
On Wednesday, October 31st, Mexico’s Supreme Court handed down two decisions deeming the country’s recreational marijuana prohibition laws to be unconstitutional. The Supreme Court “found that adults have a fundamental right to personal development which lets them decide their recreational activities without interference from the state,” according to the Associated Press.

In addition to three similar rulings between 2015 and 2017, the court has now reached this conclusion on recreational marijuana use for the fifth time. The number is significant, because when the Supreme Court reaches similar rulings in five separate cases, Mexico’s legal system applies the precedent across all of its courts.

https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...arijuana-legal-decriminalize-pot-weed-751030/

Nevermind all the negative shit on the media, these are good times! Smoke and just be friendly to EVERYBODY!!!!!

We're gonna be alright.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I'm really hoping that all these good vibes spread to the U.S. So sick of growing and using in fear of the law. It's all got to end at some point.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
It’s certainly a Huuuuugggeeee step torwards something happening here in the US. I hope this blow hard d bag has the guts to do it. It seems like he could.

DiverDave

I hope the United States Federal Law reaches the same conclusion
of non-prohibition on recreational marijuana
that Canada and Mexico have ; across all States and Territories
by 2019 or 2020.

The World will be a better place after that!
:dance013::woohoo:

Jon 54

The Mexican Govt. didn't legalize Mota. The cartels wouldn't stand for it. I live in the border area and I would know about it right away if they did.

Jon

armedoldhippy

Veteran
The Mexican Govt. didn't legalize Mota. The cartels wouldn't stand for it. I live in the border area and I would know about it right away if they did.

Jon
declaring the laws AGAINST something to be unconstitutional is about as close to legalizing it as i can imagine. is it possible that the govt could somehow word a new law that would pass muster with the court? possibly, but i don't expect that to happen. despite all of the news about corruption in Mexico, their politicians are much more aligned with their peoples desires than ours have been for decades...VIVA MEXICO!:woohoo:

therevverend

Veteran
"The court has found that marijuana can be used for rituals, for recreational use, for medical use, at work, for scientific investigations. For any adult use and that it cannot be penalized," Enciso said.

Here's a link to another article. Legalizes it for production and consumption but not necessarily commercial use. In some ways I like this ruling better then the US state's half-ass legalization. Man I'd love to grow in Mexico.

https://www.upi.com/Mexicos-Supreme-Court-legalizes-cannabis-for-recreational-use/9621541024238/

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Here's a link to another article. Legalizes it for production and consumption but not necessarily commercial use. In some ways I like this ruling better then the US state's half-ass legalization. Man I'd love to grow in Mexico.

https://www.upi.com/Mexicos-Supreme-Court-legalizes-cannabis-for-recreational-use/9621541024238/

yeah! all of that sun would be perfect for equatorial sativas, use Gods free light to fatten things up... beachcomb, kayak, fish, sit on veranda drinking tequila and watching the crop swaying in the breeze.....:dance013: oh yeah, i could live like that!

Last edited:
G

GatorGumbo

The cartels would love for it to be legalized in Mexico, just not the US. They would do like they do down in Columbia where they bully local farmers into growing whatever they want to truck across the border. They can't make enough of the stuff to smuggle and sell, the tighter legislation gets near the border on the US side and the more relaxed it gets on the Mexican side then the more money they will make.

therevverend

Veteran
The cartels would love for it to be legalized in Mexico, just not the US.

This decision probably won't have an effect on the cartels one way or the other. It doesn't legalize commercial production of cannabis. Huge commercial operations will probably remain illegal unless the government starts handing out licenses. That'll be up to the Mexican senate and I have a feeling there will be a lot of opposition to it.

If they do approve licenses as corrupt as Mexico is I'd imagine cartels will funnel legitimate commercial cannabis to the black market. But they're already doing that, growing large commercial operations with the okay from corrupt government officials. The cartels can and always have grown as much ganja as they want.

The problem is finding a market for it. I haven't seen Mex in 20 years and even then it was rare. I guess Texas, the midwest, and southern states might still have it but I'd think brickweed is close to extinct. There's so much coming out of Cali and Oregon it has to have replaced the foreign import market. The cartels make their money from coke, meth, etc.

Of course the cartels produce a great deal of the cannabis consumed in Mexico and this is where they're going to lose. If anyone can grow personal why wouldn't they grow their own or at least buy it from a friend or neighbor instead of the cartels. It's one of the many reasons this is great news for the Mexican people.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i'd like to see Mexican growers start growing middle eastern strains intended for hashish. easier to smuggle bricks of hash than a truck loaded with weed. i sure miss the blonde Lebanese we used to get here...:dance013:

rolandomota

Because cartels murder the competition that's why it ain't like usa in Mexico. And USA weed is too expensive and not so great the illegal states get all the crap that won't sell in legal states. Every time I get USA "good weed" it sucks I'm in Texas and brick is king here. An ounce of crap or a pound of crap same price 300 what would you choose?

bigAl25

Veteran
I hope it's the start of Mexico growing that great up sativa weed that is hard to find in the quality hybrid stuff we grow and consume here. I still remember the 70s concerts where the cloud of good Mexican and Colombian smoke made the music and venue a cannabis experience that people of today will never experience. I miss those days and would be happy to share them again, but you will have to settle for my Samsung 60 inch, Klipsch sound system and my blue ray of Joe Bonamassa or Boz Scaggs. Oh, and the crowd will be much smaller and we don't have to stand for the whole concert, because we are too damn old to do that now.

Because cartels murder the competition that's why it ain't like usa in Mexico. And USA weed is too expensive and not so great the illegal states get all the crap that won't sell in legal states. Every time I get USA "good weed" it sucks I'm in Texas and brick is king here. An ounce of crap or a pound of crap same price 300 what would you choose?
I agree every time I go down the El Valle my family is usually asking if I brought some dank there they have so much brick weed in abundance that the top shelf is damn near obsolete due to being to expensive for less. They haven’t stop the mass amounts of brick weed shipped. Down there you can find good quality brick weed for $50-150 for a pound or an oz for 20 a g? You decide.

I hope it's the start of Mexico growing that great up sativa weed that is hard to find in the quality hybrid stuff we grow and consume here. I still remember the 70s concerts where the cloud of good Mexican and Colombian smoke made the music and venue a cannabis experience that people of today will never experience. I miss those days and would be happy to share them again, but you will have to settle for my Samsung 60 inch, Klipsch sound system and my blue ray of Joe Bonamassa or Boz Scaggs. Oh, and the crowd will be much smaller and we don't have to stand for the whole concert, because we are too damn old to do that now.
I would not be surprised. When I first started I grew seeds out from brick weed some of the best Sativa I had grown.