What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there some kind of gas like co2 that can kill insects?

L

larry badiner

The gas should have some kind of oil that can make dead bugs roll off the leaf and collect at the bottom of the plant, maybe something like neem but gas specific

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
...like pyrethrum bombs? total release foggers? Don't know about collecting at the bottom but if you want ot set off a couple of bug bombs, I'd put a paper plate underneath them to collect the bit of goo they spurt at the end.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Helium will kill mites without killing plants, supposedly 12hrs in a dry cleaning bag works. Hrmm... I have some small plants I just found mites on, I just might be able to test this soon. lol

Dog Star

Veteran
VX(nerve agent) is best... or maybe to ask Russians for some of Novichok.. ;D LOL

About what bugs we talking about..?? Why to use gas of any kind??

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
CO2 would probably be the most beneficial to your plants while gassing any bugs.

What you are asking about with the oil in it sounds more like a pyrethrin bomb like bsgospel explained. It's an aerosol bomb. I think they're pressure source may be CO2 though. I don't have a bomb to look at and see.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've gotta dig up the thread. The concensus was 100% CO2 is bad for the plant after a few hours, while helium didn't seem to bother them.

St. Phatty

I've gotta dig up the thread. The concensus was 100% CO2 is bad for the plant after a few hours, while helium didn't seem to bother them.

I used pure CO2 to kill fleas, and it's similar to killing spider mites.

The amount that will kill the spider mites is not good for the plants.

The old chemistry gas formula is helpful

PV = nRT

P ~ pressure
V ~ volume
n ~ number of moles of gas
R ~ gas constant
T ~ temperature in absolute terms.

& the units have to work out. I used 4 pounds of CO2 to gas a twin sized mattress.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Ethyl acetate? It's a volatile liquid and it likely goes BOOOM!!! when you switch on the lights... it's used by people collecting bugs and butterflies ;) .

L

larry badiner

...like pyrethrum bombs? total release foggers? Don't know about collecting at the bottom but if you want ot set off a couple of bug bombs, I'd put a paper plate underneath them to collect the bit of goo they spurt at the end.

pyretherum is a little too toxic, i end up scrubbing surfaces even after bombs so when i really need a clean growing area, i just bleach and scrub

VX(nerve agent) is best... or maybe to ask Russians for some of Novichok.. ;D LOL

About what bugs we talking about..?? Why to use gas of any kind??

im looking for a clean gas that can kill bugs, not get absorbed into plants, and make it so i dont have to manually collect them off my plants without disrupting trichomes

long story short i got some outdoors i cured with a few mites i had to cure using all of my grow chambers and im taking precautionary measures, theres probably a spider or two (not spider mites) in my grow chambers, but at worst its a few thrips or something

L

larry badiner

Ethyl acetate? It's a volatile liquid and it likely goes BOOOM!!! when you switch on the lights... it's used by people collecting bugs and butterflies ;) .

lol! no booms in my grow area, i recently had to deal with a fire. to this day im horrified of a hps catching on fire so i use like eight 60$ led grow lights

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pyrethrum bombs and co2 in high elevation do not kill mites. They may knock them back, but survivors will flourish and your next attempt will be less effective and so on...better to try to erradicate them completely. Its a tough blow, but the true way to cleanliness.