What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scared of getting COPD or Cancer from MJ - Will edibles or pills have lon

Started out as a tobacco smoker, for 27 years all the while smoking weed, not much though because I had no access. Quit tobacco (and alcohol) and then started growing so I could support a proper drug habit.
I’m a heavy user. Probably 4 or 5 grams a day of the best shit I can grow and looking for better.
I’m also an amateur endurance athlete. Mountain biking mostly but also love to run. I’m not a great athlete but I can go all. Fucking. Day.
I have done several Trans Rockies type cycling races. Week long suffer fests.
Ive done the races both straight and high but now I’m always high.
My older brother has lung cancer. He quit tobacco in ‘87, no drugs and lived life as a fit active man.
I have no idea what lies ahead.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
I used to smoke heavy Bong Rips all day/night long.. Id always cough up gnarly black gunk and then I switched to winterized extracts out of the heavy duty nicotine Vape Mods...

Dear Lord.... Never coughed up anything for the last 2 years... My lung expansion has increased 3x fold... I play basketball 5 days a week with the Vape Mod in gym bag....go rip on it in between every game and it makes lungs breath so Clear and lets me run with mad speed with ease...

All the carbon thats built on the bong gets in your lungs and its nasty... Rip the full plant extracts winterized ... dude its next level shit.. Dabbing on wheels ...its changed my life and not to mention my mouth doesnt smell like Resin which is gross as fuck

Not to mention im like many years older than the people I play with and blow by them ... its like PopEyes Spinach

Klompen

I've been homeless for over a year now, and for the first couple months of that I was still smoking a bit. Thing is, I have a way harder time catching my breath now and I have gained almost 60 pounds since I quit. My gout has been out of control, and I groan and cramp up all the damn time these days. I also struggle constantly with food because of my many digestive problems. I never felt this run down and miserable when I was a smoker. I even caught pneumonia within a month of quitting. Everything is so much worse without weed in my life. I hate so much that I can't have it anymore. We recently got a place to move to but it has no utilities there yet and we have to do a massive amount of work to prepare the site. I'm hoping in a month or two I'll be able to start some limited growing, but we'll see. I had hoped to be starting a lot sooner than that. If and when I can get my hands on some pot I would like to keep on smoking until the day I die.

Recently I found a couple bags of shake from old plants I had to cut down really early(still in veg) probably about 3-4 years ago now. I've been taking that and mixing it with CBD extract and smoke it maybe 3-5 times a week. Just that weak-ass old shake and the CBD together makes me feel like I'm somewhat alive again. I can eat so much easier, and I don't ache so damn much everywhere. Its nowhere near as good as even brick weed, but its all I can get my hands on right now.

So in conclusion I really have much the opposite problem of the OP; I worry that without weed I won't get to see my kid grow up. I worry that without weed I won't be able to be the active and fun father figure I want to be. All the fear mongering nonsense about it really is shameful. Too many people have been taught too many lies about this wonderful and life-saving plant.

mayorofthdesert

if i'm not mistaken, smoked mj was an early treatment for athsma attacks. i'm not sure what effect it may have for copd but when i smoke i hack up a bunch of cig phlegm & then breathe free. in the long term i suspect my joint smoking adds to my wheezing & phlegm. since you're not a cig smoker & if you coughed up phlegm when you did smoke or vape mj i'd say that it'd be the mj. otherwise i truly believe mj smoke is an anti carcinogen, never heard of a long term mj smoker developing lung cancer. just my 2 cents.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I noticed that pot smoke, aside from the coughing, tends to open up my airways for the short term, but in the morning I would wake up weezing, tight chested and coughing up mucus. This to me would be indicative of lung irritation and possibly damage. I asked my sleep doctor who's also a pulmonologist and he said that heavy pot use does cause chronic bronchitis, but he tends to see emphysema and cancer more with tobacco. Either way smoking was not advised. Point taken.

Green Squall

No one is saying smoke is "good" for your lungs, but I think its safe to say it definitely doesn't cause COPD or cancer. Personally, I smoke maybe half a joint plus some hash everyday and my lungs are fine. A few years ago I had a chest xray and the doctor said my lungs looked "perfect."

Study: Smoking marijuana not linked with lung damage
https://healthland.time.com/2012/01/10/study-smoking-marijuana-not-linked-with-lung-damage/

Effects of marijuana smoking on the lung. Dr Donald Tashkin is a Pulmonologist who has spent 30 years studying cannabis. In 2006, he was in charge of a large case-control study on marijuana and the risk of cancer. Contrary to his group's expectations, the study found no increase in lung cancer risk even among heavy users of marijuana.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23802821

Marijuana cuts lung cancer tumor in half, study shows.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm

JustSumTomatoes

No one is saying smoke is "good" for your lungs, but I think its safe to say it definitely doesn't cause COPD or cancer. Personally, I smoke maybe half a joint plus some hash everyday and my lungs are fine. A few years ago I had a chest xray and the doctor said my lungs looked "perfect."

A few years ago I got a nasty case of bronchitis around the time I was easing back on smoking. I was paranoid as all hell as I've lost a few family members to emphysema and I've been hospitalized with acute bronchitis in the past. I was almost losing my shit explaining my worries to the nurse practitioner. She was totally cool and said she's never heard of anyone having messed up lungs from just pot alone and even joked about me being too paranoid and asked why I'm even trying to quit lol.

To relieve me of my worries they did a chest x-ray and both the technician and radiologist said my lungs looked great.

My uncle who is a stand up dude is very sick battling lung cancer and COPD. Dude smoked both pot and cigs like a chimney his whole life. I couldn't imagine having to live life with that sickness, such a brutal way to go out.

Green Squall

This is the way I see it.

There are roughly 34 million cigarette smokers in the United States, which leads to 480,000 deaths annually.

There are about 15 million regular cannabis smokers and this leads to how many deaths? Probably none.

However, when I debate people on the topic, they often post this study from New Zealand.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2516340/

Can anyone critique this? The only criticism I can find is a comment from https://www.drugfoundation.org.nz/m...abis-20-times-more-carcinogenic-than-tobacco/

"The findings and methodology of this relatively small study have since been seriously questioned on more than one occasion, but the BLF chooses not to mention this at all."

They say its been questioned, but they didn't say who by?

H

hard rain

I guess it depends on which study you think has the best method. This is one I often see quoted:chin:

American Thoracic SocietyDate: May 26, 2006
Summary:
People who smoke marijuana -- even heavy, long-term marijuana users -- do not appear to be at increased risk for developing lung cancer, according to a study to be presented at the American Thoracic Society International Conference on May 23.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/05/060526083353.htm

And from a later paper (2013)
habitual use of marijuana alone does not appear to lead to significant abnormalities in lung function when assessed either cross-sectionally or longitudinally, except for possible increases in lung volumes and modest increases in airway resistance of unclear clinical significance. Therefore, no clear link to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease has been established.

https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201212-127FR

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Any smoke, including pot smoke is about 90%+ carbon. So, anything you smoke and put in your lungs is going to cause a certain amount of congestion.

However, the carcinogenic aspect is another thing. Apparently (see attached study) the cancer causing components are present only in their prr-cursor form and the constituents required to activate them are not present in cannabis smoke. In addition, the cannabis smoke encapsulates the carcinogenic constituents to prevent them from possibly being activated.

So, in simple terms (according to this study).... COPD danger? Yes. Cancer danger? No

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277837/

E

ESTERCHASER

combusting the pulmonary system prob isnt the best for it if my commen sense serves me. Good thing you can counteract most congestion with a good mtn bike ride, hike, long walk etc etc etc.

JustSumTomatoes

Looks like Willie Nelson finally threw in the towel. At 86 I'll probably have been dropped in the ground for a few years, much less be jamming my heart out.

JustSumTomatoes

He's only quit actually smoking, he still vapes and he still gets high.
I remember seeing an interview a while back (not positive, but I think with Larry King) where he mentioned that he had switched to vaping. Kind of old news I guess but for some reason it just blew up. He was saying something in the one video about smoking cedar bark when he was younger. That will surely put hair on your chest at a young age.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I consider vaping to be very healthy, with a high quality vape with temp control like the Arizer ExtremeQ. On rare occasion when I do a few bongs, my lungs wheeze when I am trying to get to sleep. The high is more intense with bongs, maybe due to other chemicals, and tend to get a little paranoid.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
IMO temp is the key

IMO temp is the key

My digit Volcano is slow to heat, and way slower to cool. One of my favorite tricks is setting the temp at 275-290 on the heat-up and blowing a bag "cool". The vapors, depending on strain, will still be clear. The flavor is tremendous, and the buzz is way mellow. With all this talk of medicinal properties I wonder if that is good for the lungs, cause it feels good and doesn't make me cough.

You want bad for lungs, smoke from beer cans for years cause you are too lazy to roll.

I am headed to the doc this AM for an annual script for Symbacort 160/4.5 cortico-steroid. Doing these low temp draws, can they help the lungs? I don't think I'll mention the vape.

edit: LOL, I asked about vaping CBD and he went into the cart mess. No clue... My lungs are feeling better and I bet they credit the inhaler.

Turning the temp up to 420 really unleashes the THC, but the vapor is way harsher and causes coughing. Letting the bag sit some time reduces that greatly.

I have a nice Magma coming so we'll see how that does.

https://www.magma-industries.com

Last edited: