What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Large scale temporary drying room. Shipping container?

CrushnYuba

Hey guys. I am wondering if y'all had any efficient ways of drying on a large scale. Temporary structures etc. I had originally planned to dry in a Large blacked out greenhouse but I'd really Like to do another run in that greenhouse. Friend's talking about drying in shipping containers got me thinking i could rent a couple containers and i wouldn't have to dry in the greenhouse.
Only Now, I'm hearing conflicting amounts that can be dried in each container. Also, the place that i thought would rent me the containers can Only get me a couple 20 footers. How much do you think can be put in each container and what it's the optimum way to pack them while still having it all accessible?
There had to be some sort of line system that can fit more then i usually do
I'm thinking instead of drying for a week and then binning, i could do a real low humidity, and try to mostly dry in a few days. Then put everything in cardboard boxes in the house to slowly dry and cure the test of the way.

JOJO420

Veteran
Yup done it.
Had a couple containers to dry, was ok I guess after we trialed n errored it.
Still working on it...
The whole premise was to keep a low temp and certain humidity.. All went out the door so to speak when we, well opened the doors to get in... total fail
We locked trimmers in the containers with food, water all the amenities . Let em out every couple days ..
Still did not work right.

St. Phatty

Depends a lot on where the shipping container is located.

If it's in the SUN - temps can get a lot higher than ambient ... hard on the bud.

CrushnYuba

I would put the containers under trees for sure. Or throw some panda on it if i don't have enough space in the shade.
How much do you think can be fit put in the 20ft containers?
I know there are a bunch of people that have big properties with no outbuildings.

CrushnYuba

What would be helpful is if people said what size garden was dried in what size area with their given system. And if anyone has ideas for temporary structures other Then containers.

Jhhnn

Veteran
What would be helpful is if people said what size garden was dried in what size area with their given system. And if anyone has ideas for temporary structures other Then containers.

I always thought that a refrigerated trailer for a Semi truck would work great. They're self contained & run on diesel fuel. They dehumidify the air in the trailer, too. The hotter it is outside the trailer the more the AC unit works & the more dehumidification takes place...

PdxFarms

They sell insulated containers, although much more expensive.
One thing I can tell you about containers, humidity control is tough. They'll will condensate if the ambient temps inside are higher than outside. Let's say winter time... 45 outside and 65 inside...expect them to sweat and build up humidity. vise verse. Air exchange if possible.

Round here you can have a used (not insulated) 40' in good shape delivered four under 3k

Davesnothere420

Yup done it.
Had a couple containers to dry, was ok I guess after we trialed n errored it.
Still working on it...
The whole premise was to keep a low temp and certain humidity.. All went out the door so to speak when we, well opened the doors to get in... total fail
We locked trimmers in the containers with food, water all the amenities . Let em out every couple days ..
Still did not work right.

hahahaha sounds like something i would do

CrushnYuba

Yea. The condensation and everything is a problem. I'm thinking about making a pvc tunnel with panda film and cheap lumber. Seems like it would work better. I really don't want to use the house ever again and i hate to skip another greenhouse run

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Yea. The condensation and everything is a problem. I'm thinking about making a pvc tunnel with panda film and cheap lumber. Seems like it would work better. I really don't want to use the house ever again and i hate to skip another greenhouse run
i think byf reported having success with that method in the past. hoophouse with dehueys.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Check an army surplus store, maybe they have some open tents that might work, or full tents than you don't have to skin.

CrushnYuba

So I'm going to black or my 12x40 veg greenhouse that is completely empty. It's heated and lit. Enviromental controls prefect humidity. I think i am going to build a second 12x40 steel hoophouse in the shade covered in panda film only used for drying. A project i was not looking to do but seems like my best option.

St. Phatty

An old UPS truck with a functioning engine - so you can run the dehumidifier off the battery, with an inverter.

Also sounds like a good application for an old school bus.

I have two 20' containers at my new property. They are in the afternoon sun and get hot as hell. Thinking of trying to cover them somehow to keep the sun off. Night gets em cold and as you mentioned I would think condensation would be an issue. Maybe someone will chime in who has done it before.

hooddro

just frame the container with 2x4s and fiberglass insulation and sheet with osb. This will eliminate any condensation. 8 inch inline fan pulling on a timer or dehus. We use 2 190 pints per 40 footer with multiple wind machines and if its dry during the day just run the inline wide open until night and turn the dehus back on. If you tried drying in a wind tunnel where im at you would be in big trouble. Hard to believe it would work anywhere but i guess if its dry why not?

CrushnYuba

Framing the container seems like to much. Especially since I'm renting the container and its temporary. During the winter I'm going to build an outbuilding for next year.
How much can you dry in the 40ft? How is your rack/lines set up?

hooddro

hang trellis net every 9 inches. At a minimum you need to insulate the roof or it will sweat. The money you spend to do it right is insurance that your product will not be ruined. Jam packed it can fit up to a hunnit... good luck

JVonChron

so whatever room you end up with...the sides just need to be able to hold the lines(obvious)...so you gotta go with hooks or frame it out. framing it out in a normal room isnt hard at all. just throw vertical 2x4s into the studs, then connect cross 2x4s. bailing wire+old wire hangers are the way I was taught to fit most in given space. hang the buds on the hanger, hang the hanger on the bailing wire line. if youre going really big, you can accomplish the same in a garage. you frame out the walls the same and then can run 6' tall game fence(the stuff with the 4inx4in squares) across the space and then hang it on that. make sure you are ANCHORED well into the wall. on the last dep we harvested we got 1/3 of it hung and then the 2x4s ripped out of the wall. you dont want that. a shipping container will work, but we were in a 55-85 zone and the weather was on our side. we did cover it with panda though. also ran a dehuey in there and it turned out good.

Latest posts

Latest posts