What's new

Please remove all EXIF data

blAsia

Don't know if it is necessary, but, better safe.

I use Irfanview, but I don't know if it removes ALL data off pics.

Does anyone else use a better... FREE program to remove the data?

Please let me/us know.

Lemon

Very good suggestion. I've encountered several pictures on various growing sites where opening them in PS and looking in the exif info didn't just show the camera type and photographic/exposure information, but the name of the camera owner, the date, and so forth.

I dont know of any free programs, but I do know that save-for-web in PS does the trick.

G

I have look at the exif data of pictures before and have never seen it id the owner by name. How would the camera have the owners name in it? How does it get there unless you input it yourself. Like I said I have viewed the exif data of my own pics and only saw the camera's specifics. I just do not see how it could get there. I could be wrong and would like to know for security.

Please enlighten me.

blAsia

I think I read that when you get it serviced, they add it on there, or actually make a connection...I will have to check. But, if someone registered the camera and didn't buy it for one purpose only... well, that's how. And, if someone gave you the camera, I surely don't suppose one thinks to ask if they are hiding their name in the EXIF data.

Better NONE than any

One example.

Techno-forensics may reveal the identity of the anonymous person who photographed every page of the new Harry Potter book and put it online. The EXIF metadata attached to the photos is easy to alter, remove or forge, but if the metadata attached to the uploaded photos is correct, then the serial number of the camera is now known. Canon speculates that the camera owner likely had the device serviced during its lifetime, which would create a connection between the serial number and a person (though that person may not own the camera any longer).

The information, known as Exchangeable Image File Format (Exif) data, has already revealed that the camera used was a Canon Rebel 350. Because the model is three years old, the device would likely have been serviced at least once since it was purchased, in which case the owner's name would be known.

The serial number itself would not necessarily give away the name of the owner, Canon said, as it can only match serial numbers with owners if the purchaser registers the device after buying it. Every time a Canon camera is serviced, however, the serial number and owner are logged together.

"In theory, we can find out which country the camera was sold in and in turn the warranty and service centre records in that country could be checked," Vic Solomon, a product intelligence officer at Canon's UK head office, said. "It would take a lot of work, but there's a good chance they could find him or her.

"From what we know, the device is one of the original Rebel cameras, probably a 350D, and given that they've been out for three years, it's likely the owner would have had it cleaned or repaired in that time."

G

Cool thanx for the info. So unless you have had you camera serviced or you registered it rafter purchase you should have no worries.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Does ICmag's automatic resizing of all uploaded pics not delete all extraneous info to reduce the file size?

Lemon

Mo'zArt said:
Cool thanx for the info. So unless you have had you camera serviced or you registered it rafter purchase you should have no worries.

Some cameras, when connected for the first time, give you the option to enter your name. Some programs that come with digital cameras do the same, or alternatively use your windows log in name (which for many people is thier actual name).

Also, if you bought the warranty plan with your camera, its serial number is taken as part of that process. You are now connected to the serial number which is readily available in the exif data

Last edited:

blAsia

TrichomusCaesar said:
according to oldpink, all exif data is stipped when you upload pictures.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=53448

Thanks for that thread... I guess a reminder never hurts though...my bad.

I hope it does strip it of data when you upload, but I would feel better taking the extra step to do it myself. I used IrfanView today and ran some pics through the batch processor, then checked the output file... it was empty. Then I ran some unprocessed pics, and, yep, it had some data. So, apparently the program works, is simple and takes only a few minutes... if that.

Need to email the company to ask if it cleans ALL data.

Peace everyone, thanks for looking. I just didn't want any database being built and then everyone goes down altogether in the worlds biggest rape by the oppressors.

Last edited:

RevolutionX

upload straight from memory giga stick folder. Easy & safe

these pics never touch my cpu harddrives- i learned that first before i started this internet shit. security comes first- Always!

inflorescence

Veteran
RevolutionX said:
upload straight from memory giga stick folder. Easy & safe

these pics never touch my cpu harddrives- i learned that first before i started this internet shit. security comes first- Always!

huh? exif serial is put on by the camera, not the harddrive.
Once you click the shutter, it's part of the file.

Anyone know of a way to disable serial stamping by the camera.
I've never heard of a setting I could change that could do this.

Think about it, LEO catches you and confiscates your camera.
Any pics related to your camera's serial could reasonably be infered were taken BY you.
BUT that doesn't mean the itmes in the photos WERE yours, just that you took the pic. Big difference.
AFAIK It's not illegal to takes pics of other peoples gardens.

Last edited:

blAsia

inflorescence said:
AFAIK It's not illegal to takes pics of other peoples gardens.

LOL.... yeah, what are you? Just the tour guide. WTF...an accomplice, dealer or user, whatever they could get you for. :bashhead:

Take it lightly dude. inflorescence's magical mystery tour.

G

Come on guys any info related to security is welcome, weed out what you want and use it. Knowledge is knowledge just because it is said here does not mean it is gospel.

M

mallyone

Just did an upload and didn't see a strip exif dropdown (I could have missed it, I am a pothead after all), I uploaded, then grabbed the image and brought it into photo shop and it still had it's exif data in place, nothing really incriminating, but there non the less. Did a quick search and found jhead (http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/) which will strip everything (I think, it's been a while since I looked at the jpg spec :)) with the -purejpg argument.

Even if I missed the box for removing the exif data when uploading, I kind of like to handle this kinda thing on my own and not leave it up to the board to take care of it for you.

m1...

M

mallyone

blAsia said:
LOL.... yeah, what are you? Just the tour guide. WTF...an accomplice, dealer or user, whatever they could get you for.

A reporter or a writer doing research, maybe even a ICmag correspondent :). Or like me, you could spend hours looking at the loverly greenery, whether they are mine or other peoples. Marijuanna may not be very addictive, but growing it is :). Although I don't think "I just like looking" would get me off in that case :).

m1...