What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Decently priced LED that’ll compete with hps??

Sunshineinabag

I thought the same I got shit but in reality the power consumption of those older hid equipment is extreme! Replacement LEDs of 17.5 with a decent CRI can easily out perform hps......main issue being it will require u to build a set up that fits your needs!

Koondense

Veteran
Well, I believe those lights are outdated and actually were never a good product. But if you get them you'll still be able to grow some buds.
If you can, stretch a bit and get yourself a cob or qb system, it will outperform any led light out there.

Cheers

shithawk420

Veteran
Thanks I'm new to LED and nobody I know really has a solid understanding of them.it sucks cause everyone thinks they know everything.

I don't know what cob or qb system is.can I build them piece by piece cheap? I've only got about $300 to spend.im poorer than poor

Buckeyebandit

Go to rapid led they have 100 watt pucks plug and play for around 100 a piece. hope it helps you

[

QUOTE=shithawk420;8550011]Thanks I'm new to LED and nobody I know really has a solid understanding of them.it sucks cause everyone thinks they know everything.

I don't know what cob or qb system is.can I build them piece by piece cheap? I've only got about $300 to spend.im poorer than poor[/QUOTE]

shithawk420

Veteran
300 total or just for the light? US or EU or else?

If it really makes a difference,300 for the light US but I'm really pushing my limit cause I still have to buy a tent.my dad says he has an LED but I haven't seen it and I don't trust him cause this is new to us.if I wasn't poor I'd just buy a hps but I gotta keep the electric bill down.

My buddy is an electronic genius,I mean really a genius.he can build whatever I tell him.if I had an idea of what I need I can just tell him.but I'm lost here.i need maximum yield,I think I'm gonna buy a 4x4 grow tent and for the least amount of money.

I know this sounds bogus but that's my situation.the more I read it seems the less I know about LED.if theres a beginner thread maybe I should start there but I'm broke on time too.

Thank you guys for all your knowledge.i appreciate it.:tiphat:

shithawk420

Veteran
Go to rapid led they have 100 watt pucks plug and play for around 100 a piece. hope it helps you

Thanks I'm new to LED and nobody I know really has a solid understanding of them.it sucks cause everyone thinks they know everything.

I don't know what cob or qb system is.can I build them piece by piece cheap? I've only got about $300 to spend.im poorer than poor

aww man.i thought LEDs went down more in price.those look great but i just dont have that kinda money.im sorry but im on a tight budget.is it even possible to get a good LED to cover 4x4 without paying over $300? even if i build it myself? im sorry guys.ive been outta the game for 10 years and im rusty.im thinking of sticking to HPS if i cant afford a good LED

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Walmart shows the 14w 1500lm lamps at $2 and ebay has lamp holders at $1 each. At the 2 per foot concentration, as well documented in the lamp comparisons micro diaries section, that's 32 fixtures for $100. You might want to think about using 46 which is 7 rows, with alternating number in each. 7 6 7 6 7 6 7. The pendant holders hanging from many a domestic ceiling have a knurled nut to hold a lamp shade. Often by pinching the frame of the lampshade. This offers not only a mounting method for a shade, but a mounting method to fix a pendant lamp holder though a 35mm hole (e27 style. 29mm B27)

https://www.graybar.com/store/en/gb/6123-04-sl-12v-91032613#{Quick%20Order:Y}&{Length:12%20ft.}&{Dimensions:12%20ft.%20x%204%20in.%20x%201-3/4%20in.}&{Material:Steel}&{Size:4%20in}

Flowerman

I won't get into the scientific parts of this debate, but from growing 20+ years with HPS, I was so hesitant to make the switch as I've been waiting for the LED's to catch up, so I simply went out and bought an LED to compare with a 600wHPS. Bought an Electric Sky roughly around 300w to test, and I'm sold on it. Buds are tight/dense, plants seem to really thrive on the light, less heat output, no more changing the bulbs, a good warranty, so with 2, it's the same as running a 600 watt in a 4' x 4', but without the extra heat, no longer replacing bulbs, no more light mover, I can adjust the light with a dimmer for when the plants are seedlings and in early veg, the light penetrates into the canopy. Never going back to HPS for indoor gardening. If I was in a greenhouse, HPS would still be my #1 supplemental light though.

Koondense

Veteran
...if I wasn't poor I'd just buy a hps but I gotta keep the electric bill down.

My buddy is an electronic genius,I mean really a genius.he can build whatever I tell him.if I had an idea of what I need I can just tell him.but I'm lost here.i need maximum yield,I think I'm gonna buy a 4x4 grow tent and for the least amount of money.

I know this sounds bogus but that's my situation...

If this is the case and since you won't be able to cover the electric bill with a led in just one or two cycles, I suggest you keep it simple and get a 1,2x1,2 tent with a cooltube 600Whps for your first cycle and after that invest in a good led light build. And your friend could help you save a bit of money but QB kits are not much pricier than just parts, so he can just assemble them for you and that's it.

Cheers

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
You can build strip LED lights (quantum board style) for about $1/watt right now. Samsung strip LM031b LED chips and a meanwell driver. Basic construction, electrical and soldering skills are about all you need.

Koondense

Veteran
QB kits are sold at around 1€/W so in my opinion it's not even worth to build anymore, except for experimenting and for specific setups.

Cheers

Looking to save on power bill obviously. Running 5x 600 hps... trying to find led that will compete closely with a 600hps system.. I know to a point it’s kinda apples to oranges but I’m in a bind here... after a few grows ill be getting into the Optic LEDs but not for another year. Weight over looks at this point

Not sure if you've found a solution to your question yet, but our lights have been besting HID since 2009. In fact our first HID vs LED side by sides were here on ICMag many years ago (which you can view via the link in my signature). In every test performed here on ICMag by independent growers like you, our Penetrator models produced at least double the grams per watt.

Our lights these days are quite a bit more advanced than they were back then. The most recent test by Cannabis Training University (which was documented via time lapse) had our 336X model producing 4x the yield per watt of the competing HPS system. Staggering numbers I know, but they also have a million followers on social media which makes their results hard to deny.

We do have a giveaway offer going right now on 3 of our lights (another link in my signature) if you are interested, as well as several other options to test our lights or get discounts for life for doing a journal with them. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts