What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ph storage solution causing probe build up

little-soldier

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone has ever noticed that when you store your ph pen in storage solution or ph4/7 solution, crystals form on the probe. Is this normal? I have been storing my pen in tap water and never had any crystals since but recently read that regular water will shorten my pens lifespan.thx

King Rat

Please don't store your ph probe in water (especially not in RO water)
It fucks up the internal chemistry.

Store the probe in KCI storage solution only, it'll ensure you accurate readings and a long lifespan. clean the probe on a regular basis (at least monthly) using some mild dishsoap and a toothbrush. calibrate everytime after cleaning.

between readings and before storing its enough to flush the probe with tapwater to avoid contamination and bringing debris into the storage solution. shake off excess water and you're good to go.

the crystals form due to evaporation, try to get it locked airtight and you won't see them again.

superx

Veteran
l always position a small piece of sponge in the bottom of the cap then add the solution... "the probe then comes into contact with the sponge when the cap of the metre is put back on again,"makes for a spotless probe with no build up of salts or gunk, the sponge would be replaced every 7-10 days..

My metre is bang on to point after 6 years of use.

King Rat

l always position a small piece of sponge in the bottom of the cap then add the solution

great idea! especially for ph pen users.

the bluelab ph meter came with a little container with an o-ring and a twist cap, luckily never needed the sponge trick :tiphat:

gmanwho

Veteran
i second the recommendation of storing in the kci storage solution. it helps condition the probe, something with restoring the ions inside the bulb of the probe. ions exchange thru the ph bulb membrane.

my only gripe is it makes my hanna combo meter ppms max out from the kci solution. an when taking the probe from the storage cap with solution an placing into solution i want to test, it may take minutes to stabilize an read correctly as the kci solution dilutes out.

i find this hanna HI9814 to be a really really nice tool. i have 3 of the last version. this new version has a probe condition meter. If that "condition meter" really works, it could save a lot of headaches chasing PH when the meter probe was actually at fault. Cause ive been there. But they still need a lcd backlight for night time readings.

nice meter thou, easily the best meter i have owned to date. check it out.

https://hannainst.com/hi9814-ph-ec-tds-multiparameter.html

superx

Veteran
Nice bit of kit, i use to have the old hanna ph metre, it served me well.

I notice it has 3 sensors in the probe,

I am guessing if one of these sensors fails whether its the temp, PH or EC this would make your metre obsolete?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Please don't store your ph probe in water (especially not in RO water)
It fucks up the internal chemistry.

Store the probe in KCI storage solution only, it'll ensure you accurate readings and a long lifespan. clean the probe on a regular basis (at least monthly) using some mild dishsoap and a toothbrush. calibrate everytime after cleaning.

between readings and before storing its enough to flush the probe with tapwater to avoid contamination and bringing debris into the storage solution. shake off excess water and you're good to go.

the crystals form due to evaporation, try to get it locked airtight and you won't see them again.
Is this for Bluelab pH pens?

I stored my Hanna in r/o for years with zero issues. I also store my cheapie brand Jellas in r/o with zero issues.

King Rat

Is this for Bluelab pH pens?

I stored my Hanna in r/o for years with zero issues. I also store my cheapie brand Jellas in r/o with zero issues.

Not only bluelab, thats the proper way all ph meters and pens should be stored :)

the thing with r/o is that it actually withdraws the internal solution inside the ph meter over time. the little glass bulb is permeable.
thats why it should be stored in KCI as it "fills up" internal chemistry and prevents withdrawing it.

when there is no kci solution at hand, its okay to store the probe in pH4.0 calibration solution for a few days.

As far as i know r/o is one of the worst solutions the probe could be stored in.

I believe what you are stating. No doubt.
Did you ever tested how accurate they still are and do they respond fast and stabilize quickly when testing pH ?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I found this:

https://www.just4growers.com/stream...niques/how-to-take-care-of-your-ph-meter.aspx
How should a pH meter be properly cared for? Although there are general maintenance techniques for pH meters, each brand and model will have its own requirements. Always follow the directions for your meter and you will enjoy it for a longer time, with fewer issues.
In addition to frequent calibration, properly maintaining the pH sensor will ensure a longer life and more accurate results. Many pH meters incorporate glass sensors and reference tubes that must be stored in specially formulated solutions. If using a handheld meter, the storage solution will often be in the meter's cap. Don't spill this solution ... you need it! For most pH sensors, it's critical that the sensor be stored wet in the appropriate solution.
To clean most pH sensors, rinse in distilled or deionized water. Shake off any excess water and return the sensor to its storage solution.
The majority of pH sensors have a lifespan of approximately 1-2 years. If you are experiencing erratic readings and having difficulty calibrating, it may be time to replace the sensor (or your meter, if the meter doesn't have a replaceable sensor).
Tips and tricks

• Always read the instruction manual prior to use. Sure, the instructions may be boring, but they'll answer your questions, and those answers will protect your investment
  • Always be sure your pH meter is properly calibrated
  • If your handheld meter includes a storage solution in the cap, store the meter upright for more effective saturation
  • Never touch a sensor electrode or reference cell with your fingers: skin oils will affect readings and can permanently damage a pH sensor
  • Always lightly swirl a meter in the water or solution to dislodge any trapped air bubbles
  • Never store a pH meter in high heat or humidity
  • Never store a pH sensor in distilled water
  • A pH meter is a sensitive scientific instrument and should always be treated as such
And a link to Hannah's electrode maintenance page...
https://hannainst.com/ph-electrode-maintenance-calibration-guide

gmanwho

Veteran
the probe is replaceable from the meter. so far i have one unit over 2 years. an the other 2 are like a year and half. they are all used to keep a daily log. a day is skipped here or there.

batterys last forever. i got the rubber case with mine. i wrapped the unit in a heavier duty clear plastic bag, then placed the rubber protector case over the unit. the bag keeps the unit clean. ive dropped them is reserviors, on the floor. held onto them by the cord. pretty solid unit..

Douglas.Curtis

Not only bluelab, thats the proper way all ph meters and pens should be stored :)

the thing with r/o is that it actually withdraws the internal solution inside the ph meter over time. the little glass bulb is permeable.
thats why it should be stored in KCI as it "fills up" internal chemistry and prevents withdrawing it.

when there is no kci solution at hand, its okay to store the probe in pH4.0 calibration solution for a few days.

As far as i know r/o is one of the worst solutions the probe could be stored in.

I believe what you are stating. No doubt.
Did you ever tested how accurate they still are and do they respond fast and stabilize quickly when testing pH ?
The drift on the cheapie is about .2 in 6 months, the Hanna drifted less. Response time and stability have always been fine. If probes are supposed to last 1-2 years, when is the r/o supposed to make it 'bad?'

I'm just sharing my experience. This is with Hanna and Jella's meters only, I haven't used any others.

King Rat

a drift of .2 is totally acceptable and i'm wondering that it isn't more.

if probes are treated properly they can last forever.
i've never stored my probe in r/o but it 'could' go bad between a few weeks or months.
the probe isnt necessarly damaged forever after that, even when dried out on air for some time, you can easily refresh the probe by placing it in the kci solution for about a week.
still its better not do let it go so far.

the odd thing is that your observations shows different and it don't match with every probe.
but even if it goes bad after 2 years the $ you saved on the kci solution then can be spend on the new probe lol

Douglas.Curtis

The Jellas are only $16 on amazon, and they even come with 4 and 7 calibration solutions. Right handy. :) I can buy a ton of them. They're not waterproof though, so you have to diy that like gmanwho has. (thanks for the idea!)

Latest posts

Latest posts