What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carbon filter for PC fans?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran

Washable? I would like to hear more about that. 2-3 years life.. yet a twin pack. I'm surprised their not happy with 2-3 years, then your back in the store.

I would say no good, but I'm not 100% sure what it actually is. Typically these live in a unit that also houses a grease pre-filter. I don't think it's the case here. You would have to look at it's matching extractor to see, but I think this is more grease than smell filtration.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Washable? I would like to hear more about that. 2-3 years life.. yet a twin pack. I'm surprised their not happy with 2-3 years, then your back in the store.

I would say no good, but I'm not 100% sure what it actually is. Typically these live in a unit that also houses a grease pre-filter. I don't think it's the case here. You would have to look at it's matching extractor to see, but I think this is more grease than smell filtration.
The page says Effectively absorbs smell of cooking when the air is recirculated. But they are also 50$ for 2 of them. I feel like there has to be a better filter for 25$ a piece.

I was thinking about rubber cementing one of these in the outlet hole on the top chamber of my cabinet which will serve as a utility chamber for wires etc. Then move the air from the bottom chamber to the top chamber with one or two of these -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/noctua-NF-A12x25-5V-premium-quality-quiet/dp/B07DXLCVVL/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1552291069&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=noctua+5v+fan&psc=1#

I guess I need to look at one of these filters in person. If it’s packed with activated carbon I’ll go for it. If it looks crap I won’t bother.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I wish we could wash carbon filters. Imagine if it were true. A stack of these that we could put in the dishwasher every 3 months. Extending their life to 3 years. That would mean much less mining activity and no more sending it all to belgium for the high temperature (300c) voc removal treatment.

Cooker hoods contain a 4" backward curved centrifugal fan. The sort of thing people hang in a tent to cool 400-600w. It will bucket air through. The filter must be quite an open design. Likely pelletised carbon. They usually are. Such a filter needs to be 50mm deep (30mm hobby stuff exists but should be avoided) and the air flow between the pellets must be high enough to create a decent amount of turbulence. Otherwise the smell slips through without touching the carbon. This is the reason for this thread. Small fans can't provide the airflow through a pelletised filter to clean the air in one pass.

Cooker filters are going to be around 30mm deep, but not likely virgin carbon. Certainly not when most of it's life you are expected to of washed it yourself. Non can clean the air in one pass, and are usually left running an hour after you finish eating. So the recirculating air gets many scrubs.

Do you want some quality carbon to make your own filter? You could chop most of the bottom out a container, and replace it with car body repair mesh. Use a round container the size of your fan perhaps. Then fill it to 50mm or more. You have the scope to experiment. You can buy it loose on eBay, but I have some properly sourced that's too expensive to find it's way into 'hydroponic filters' if you want some. I have quarter of a ton, so it won't hurt :)

f-e you make some very good points. I don’t want to rush into this and mess it up by taking the most convenient route.

If creating my own is the best way to achieve no smell with a small fan then so be it. I might just hit you up for some of that carbon. Thank you for your kind offer.

And thanks for the link AgentPothead! You guys are cool.

jumpman233345

Ona is a bit expensive. The amount of ozone I have to generate to cover for what the filter doesn't get is pretty minimal. I use one of these on low and it works well. The room stays closed other than my visits.

I received the Flower Filters today. They are really well made. I'll update as I install and some odor kicks in.

Hey matey,

Could you do me a favour and measure how much the filter protrudes? I know its a 4" hole with 6" total required but what's the other measurement please mate?

with thanks