What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chow mix growers what's your watering frequency?

samiam

Looking for some insite on watering frequency with hydroton/coco mixes. What's your mix? And how often do you water? Beds? Pots? Pot sized? Flood? DTW? Lighting in veg? Lighting in flower?

catalyte

Veteran
coco is not ideal for flood and drain. Coco will leach potassium and potentially sodium into the reservoir and cause pH issues and nutrient lockout.

i know folks do Coco Ebb and Flo on here and get away with it but it's far from ideal....

samiam

Im not doing ebb n flow. Im doing dtw mine are in 7 gal pots now going on 6 weeks veg. Feeding one a day

DunHav`nFun

Waaaaay back in the day , Noone and Acry4help started the chow mix thingy doin krusty buckets , or rather their version of krusty buckets....and....

They started out fully recirculating and grew some monsters in the 3 lb range , but later found that for their particular situation , timed feeds worked best to keep the medium moist enough for no drying and wet cycles where salt buildup could occur from the coco drying out between feeds.....that said....

DTW fed once a day is most likely not a problem as long as the container holding the rootmass is big enough to maintain said consistent moisture content without the drying sequence to the rootzone.......I ran # 5 smartpots for several yrs fed once a day with 1/3 stringy fibers , 1/3 coco chunks , and 1/3 lg chunky perlite with no problems whatsoever....anyways....

Sorry I missed this 1 Sam , but as a rule , the more porous the medium as in chow mix , the more scheduled timed feeds are necessary to prevent residual salt buildup coco is so notorious for to maintain dialed results.....regardless....Good luck and....

Peace.....DHF....:ying:.....