What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Patent No: US 8,092,752

This came up on HC this past week, just wondering what yall, especially those of you extracting in a legal market have to say about this. Patent: US 8,092,752, Apparatus and Method for Oil and Fat Extraction. Seems like some folks will eventually have to start paying some dues.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry, no, I should have got that.

Always fun exchanging sorries. Like chipmunks.

Rickys bong

Veteran
Seems like some folks will eventually have to start paying some dues.

....nope.

Read the claims. The claims make up the legal basis of a utility patent, the abstract and descriptions don't have any weight to them.

From claim 1: "an extraction chamber comprising a top portion and a bottom portion, containing an oil-bearing substance, and configured for receiving a solvent and facilitating a low-temperature vacuum boil of the solvent within the extraction chamber"

Unless any extraction companies are boiling solvent under vacuum in their extraction chamber they have nothing to worry about.

RB

Im really not up on the solvent extracts at all, but isnt that more or less whats happening? The butane is boiling isnt it?

Rickys bong

Veteran
This claims boiling solvent Within the extraction chamber at temperatures high enough to dissolve fats.
We are boiling the solvent in a separate vessel, and the temperatures are deliberately lower in order not to remove fats.
Different concept.
What was being discussed on HC in reference to this?

RB

The inventor was "interviewed"/spoke for a few hours. The inventor says hes not going to be out to get mom and pops, but does intend to "twist arms" of larger extraction companies into licensing the patent to ensure safety. He doesnt feel like any current apparatuses/methods are safe. The patent is already being licensed in europe.

Rickys bong

Veteran
The inventor says hes not going to be out to get mom and pops, but does intend to "twist arms" of larger extraction companies into licensing the patent to ensure safety. He doesnt feel like any current apparatuses/methods are safe. The patent is already being licensed in europe.

Listening to that episode was painful. None of what he said made any sense.
In one sentence he's talking about disclosing the open blast method, in another he is saying all of the current systems are not safe because they are being sourced from China, South America and Egypt... (WTF?)
Then he says they all can be made safe by properly ventilating the room.

If the systems being sold are so unsafe, why are fire marshals and professional engineers signing off on them?

The one that really cracked me up was when he was talking about running his process by filling the room with nitrogen and then being in the room with oxygen asks on. And then the story about the factory that burned to the ground around him but because the room he was in was filled with nitrogen it wasn't touched.
Sounds believable right? Until you look at the fact that the room would have burned from the outside inward... The atmosphere inside that room would have little to do with the flammability of the walls...
oh... and then his "patent" cost a million dollars to file.
Most of it sounded like the ramblings of a conspiracy theorist.
Utter bullshit.

Again, the claims in that patent have little to do with current closed loop systems.

You are so right RB, it was very painful to watch, so full of misinformation. The ravings of an uninformed, uneducated conspiracist, spreading misinformation.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
I didn't take that from the episode at all from the parts of it I saw, I thought Indra came across as well practiced, knowledgeable and intelligent.

Say what you will, if you read the patent there are some embodiments of the invention that are quite intelligent and show out of the box thinking that is rare in this industry. The tuning fork triggered-'solenoid' valve is a bit of brilliance, imho. That is the type of thinking from an individual that understands varied scientific concepts inside and out, and can synthesize different pieces of unrelated information to come up with elegant, non-obvious solutions to common problems.

As far as cost goes, anyone that has been involved in filing patents with expensive (ie - the best) patent lawyers knows that fees can easily can run up to and above a million bucks, that is definitely not out of the realm of possibility. That he has licensed the technology to major corn-oil processors says a lot about the validity of the patent. I don't know how many patents you guys have been involved with through the USPTO, but Dr Scialdone seemed quite impressed with the encompassing wording of the principle claims, and he has filed multiple patents via the USPTO.

And as far as the nitrogen flooded room goes, again to me that shows out of the box thinking that most in the industry are not capable of. To me at least, he came off as intelligent and well studied. I'm amazed that anyone would think he is an "uninformed, uneducated conspiracy theorist"; certainly an out of the box thinker and not your average joe, but 'nutter'? I don't think so...

Last edited:
I felt the same way Chimera, Indra sounded like he really has the Rare intelligence/experience/spirit factor. It seems like the folks in the community who have/are bringing the real progress always take the most hate
Da Vinci said that there are 3 kinds of people: Those who see, those who see when shown, and those who dont ever see.... It helps remind me to not bother with the never see'ers, and makes getting through the day a bit easier.

I agree with the above two comments. He sounded like a well-trained engineer and his multiple patents seem to back that up, you can search other patents using the his name or the companies hes filed under. I think his message on Hash Church ruffled a few feathers. As in the current venacular, I think many are "throwing shade" on his work.

Rickys bong

Veteran
Can you explain how this works? I know tuning forks have a fixed resonant frequency so as the gas flows it increases the amplitude and triggers a valve to close?

Tuning fork sensors are a common method of sensing level in process control, and are nothing new. They aren't used like an audio tuning fork at a resonant frequency though.
A fork like assembly is inserted into the reservoir to be measured and vibrated by some external driver. When the process fluid contacts the fork it damps the vibration which can then trigger a control function.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/LTU2000.html

or search for tuning fork level sensor...

Latest posts

Latest posts