What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Temp will drop, what would you do?

Minigreen

:tiphat:

Hello my dear fellow growers, this is my first post. Quick question for the most experienced.

Central heating will be switched off for 5 days, starting this weekend. I expect temperature will drop from actual 17c min / 23c max to 10 min / 15 max.

She is in the middle of flowering and I am not sure what to do. It is unfortunately impossible to add some alternative source of heating.

Strain: ak47 autoflower
Light: CFL bloom 200W
Day: 45
Stage: full bloom
Box: small (40x40x120)
Photoperiod: 20/4
Other: nicely scrogged :)

Options on the table are:

* switch to 24/0 for 5 days - the lamp will contribute tonraise temperature, up to 17c or 18c or even better, all the time. Then will finish cycle at 24/0, or maybe switch back to 20/4.

* no change, I expect that during 20hrs light time the temperature should reach 17c or 18c and maybe drop to 10c for 4hrs dark time. Unsure if she can handle it or it's too stressful.

What do you think?

Many thanks, :dance013:

minigreen

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Central heat is gas? I'd do 24/0 or in coldest part of day or night when the central heat being off, go with 18/6.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
seedling heat mat or similar...preferably on thermostat..if the roots don't get too cold you would be amazed how cold plants can take....yeehaw

Jhhnn

Veteran
It won't grow as fast or flower as profusely with lower temps but it'll be fine so long as it doesn't freeze. I'd think autoflowers would stand up just fine.

S

sourpuss

Only thing i can think of.... depends how your intake fan is and exhaust or if you even have one. I dont get why you cant run a heater while the lights r off? U say its not possible to add alternative heat? Anyway if not then maybe create a room that the intake sucks from. With a heater in there. Controlling the temps in the grow with that rooms temps...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It won't grow as fast or flower as profusely with lower temps but it'll be fine so long as it doesn't freeze. I'd think autoflowers would stand up just fine.

AK 47 is pretty hardy and can stand lower temps for a few days.

Minigreen

@sourpuss
I just have one extraction vent, works smooth for such a small box. It is not completely impossible of course; it is just difficult for me to get and set up an alternative heating system in a few days. Maybe a heat cable or a seedling mat as suggested by stoned-trout would be the best option

@aridbud
Indeed the strain can handle it

@all
Thanks for the replies. I see there is no unique answer :), will followup next week with the results

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
temp down to 46f with my seedlings..with heat mat you would never know...my garage is real cold right now....yeehaw

sup yall..mini green my babes always down 16 or 17c when sleep i never had issues..just turn off ur vent when it goes to sleep maybe it will avoid sending cold air on the plants..besides that no probs with 17c at all
cheers

Minigreen

Gents,
Central heating is back.

Temperature dropped to 13.8-17.4.

@aridbud, @stoned-trout you are definitely right. AK47 is pretty much a hardy strain. In fact, she managed through 5 days of low temps like a breeze.

There was no slowdown at all, actually it looks like she benefited a lot from some cold instead :). Will harvest in a couple of weeks or so.

Thanks all for your help and thoughts.

Minigreen