What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$1400 Electric Bill for 1 Bdrm Apt (HELP)

A

acridlab

holy sh!%! i hope they mis read, or i am never moving to cali! my bills under that with 4k on 12/12 and 1k 24/7.. and tvs fridges, etc.

roach

Veteran
I wish my electricity was that cheap, here we pay around 40 cent pr KW....

still one hell of a bill you got there, hope you find a solution :)

slippyone

Yeah, I am also in So Cal and we pay .37 per Kw.

We run a 13,000 BTU AC, 50 pint Dehumidifier and 3 1000w HPS.....

It was about $320 until we added the better AC unit and another light and now the bill is $700!

Does that sound right based on the Kw per hour?

Vegan

dang did I read through that correctly? 108kw per day, In a apt?
I could see runnin that in a 3bd house but a apartment..zoiks

onavelzy

Veteran
so be smart. be safe.. pay your bills.. and find ways to cut back on electric if u need to.. shit.. what I was doing was.. add up everything for a full harvest.. electric.. water.. nutes.. soil.. everything . then multiply that by 2 or 3 depending on strains.. then u know the price it costs u to produce what your producing.. say 3000 a harvest.. is what ur putting in.. and ur getting 10 lbs each harvest.. well that 3000 can come from bud.. or hash.

he's got a legal medical grow (max 6 mature plants) and is running 2 600W lights, so he's not gonna be pulling down anything like your ten pounds. pretty sure he did the math and saw he was growing at a loss. if his bills stayed at that $700 for the four to five months of a grow, he'd have to grow at least 2 pounds just to pay that bill, not to mention any other costs. be like working at a job where all your income went to pay your taxes. at that stage, why bother? you might as well just go out and buy it from a dispensary at those electricity prices.

soil margin

Veteran
I think it's most likely a mistake. I was running 2 rooms, 4k HPS for 24/7 veg and 3k HPS at 12/12 with AC/fans/dehumidifier in both rooms. Add on the 3 bedroom house attached and the bill was still never over $550 a month. This is in socal btw.

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
has to be a mistake if he was up north and had pge its possible :) but with Edison and hes never home I don't see how unless somebody has tapped into his power.

devilgoob

Veteran
Hopefully it is a read error, and it's not a resistive heating loss (your wiring heating up, as a load)

My electricity starts at $0.28 per kilowatt hours and goes up and up from there... My bills were like $1000 per quarter before i started growing...now they're like $2000 a quarter.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
you really need to go around and take note of the power consumption of all of your appliances and other electrical items. electric dryers and stoves use a lot of power along with your central hvac unit.

your lights by themselves 2-600w are only consuming 1.2kwh every hour they are both on

so if youre running at 12/12 then your total hours of lights on per month is 360(12hrs*30days) 360*1.2=432kwh

432 * $0.20 = $86.40(what you should be paying for 1,200w @ 12/12 for a 30 day period @ a rate of $0.20/kwh)

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Damn that's expensive for a few lights. My buddy is running 1/4 million watts at his grow and only pays $4,000 a month. 5,500 plants.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
only in cali ...my electric bill has been higher than friends rent/mortgage back east....yeehaw..its only gonna get worse

sprinkl

Veteran
So I just got the worst bill of my life and I'm trying to figure out if it's legit or there's some sort of mistake here. I live in a 1 bdrm apt and run 2x 600w digital HPS in flowering and sometimes a 400w digital MH for veg. It is a medical grow and within the legal guidelines, but I still strongly prefer the building owner and electric company do not know what I'm doing. The bill was over $1400 total for August and September. It was the hottest 2 months of the year and I had the AC on a good amount, but still do not see how that justifies a $1400 bill. I work full time, am gone all day and do not consume much power at all outside if growing. I have a laptop computer, fridge and big screen TV that is on avg of 3 hours a day - that is it. I also run a 6'' vortex 24/7 and have a few other fans running most of the time. Also, for this billing period, I was only running one of the 600w HPS, not both.

I live in SoCal and they have this tiered billing system where the more power you use, the more expensive it gets. Here are how my numbers appear on the bill for two months:

Total of 6700/kwh
Avg of 108/kwh per day

I ended up using most of my power in the expensive tier where electricity runs 20 cents per kwh.

Does this sound right for my situation? I did the math and it doesn't add up at all.

If it's not legit, how do you recommend I contest the bill without setting off any alarms?

Thanks

"Avg of 108/kwh per day"
2*600W+400W= 1,600kW*12h/day= 19,2kWh/ day
leaves 90 kWh/day, divide by 24= 3750 watts of other appliances running 24/7, you might want to check that airconditioning system...

I'd also look at what time you're running the lights and AC. Power is more expensive during "peak times". So the only thing I could suggest is to find out when the power is cheaper and run your lights during that time period to save some money. Def seems like a mistake for your bill, however, you could also consider getting a NEST thermostat. That way, you know exactly how many hours your AC ran, and if the weather outside caused the AC to run more than normal. This way you'd know nothing was out of the ordinary. Now that it's summer time, your AC will run a LOT more than the other months. I went from my AC running 22 hours in January to 140 hours in March to 229 hours in April and now 236 hours in May and it will stay like that for about the rest of summer.

goofy81

0.35c/kw here and goes up the more you use.
To give you an idea, i run around 5800w + filter and fans (24/7)
and my bills are around $3200