What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fireproofing your grow area

sub

So I just bought this insulation stuff for my small box (2' x 1.5' x 6') - after reading it it says it is combustible and to put a thermal or protective barrier between it. I'm basically using it to fill in the walls to keep the noise down.
Should I just scrap the stuff, or is there something I can put in front of it? I planned on lining the box with Panda film afterwards.

I did just drop $50 on it, so that would be nice if I didn't have to scrap it, but if it will be a huge fire hazard I will!

sub

Looking further into it I found a few threads across the net of people using and recommending this stuff. That doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. There must be some thin material I can put between that and the Panda film, if needed.

I may also go with the LED light option, but not sure yet. As of now it's just a 150w HPS and 2x 125w CFLs. I used this setup in a 2' x 1.5' x 3' box a couple years ago and temps never got above 85-90 F in the summer (with an AC on in the room it was in)

I was going to replace the HPS and CFLs with a 250w HPS, but debating on LEDs, not sure yet..

I think I will hang one of those automatic fire extinguishers above the box as well just to be safe, but I would love to hear some opinions on this.

Obviously $50 doesn't compare to my place burning down, but would love if I can just make it safe and still use it (again, if this is needed at all)

Thanks!

sub

Yup definitely gonna get one of those automatic extinguishers for sure. I think I'm gonna scrap that Foamular insulation, just to sleep better at night.

I don't even necessarily need the insulation, do I? I just thought it would help keep the noise of the fans and everything down... it's such a small box.

This is what I'm using for the box BTW

drgr33nuk

Yup definitely gonna get one of those automatic extinguishers for sure. I think I'm gonna scrap that Foamular insulation, just to sleep better at night.

I don't even necessarily need the insulation, do I? I just thought it would help keep the noise of the fans and everything down... it's such a small box.

This is what I'm using for the box BTW

Trust me if there is a fire in there and the auto ex goes off that things going to take off lol

Don't bother with the insulation to make it effective you need a 25mm air gap between the wall and the insulation. Your going to loose to much space inside.

sub

Trust me if there is a fire in there and the auto ex goes off that things going to take off lol

Don't bother with the insulation to make it effective you need a 25mm air gap between the wall and the insulation. Your going to loose to much space inside.

I was thinking of putting it on my ceiling above the box.. don't think there will be room in it! That should still help in the event of a fire, yeah?

And yeah.. damn, I will scrap the insulation. Dunno WTF I will do with it.. what a waste! Bummer.. oh well.

Laavamara

Is there any other way to protect my fan from being a fire hazard than AFCI (or AFDD as in europe)? It seems that they sell them only up from 15amps and my circuit is on 10a? And anyways they don't want to sell them inside eu to home users I guess.
I'm not too concerned about HID ballast as CFGI will take care of its problems and hazards but those electric motor things such as fans are the ones that make me worried. Could I add like relay thermal overload protection or something and how it would work?

Latest posts

Latest posts