What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Collecting seeds from the himalaya

Hi guys, I am thinking about going to India, I've been before, and to parvati valley, probably the most well known area for charas production in India. I have noticed there is a guy (I think he has been on here in the past as "namkha" or similar) he now has his own site, "the real seed company"

On his site, he advertises pure landrace (non hybridised) cannabis seeds. He used to have more strains than that but at the moment its approx 50 dollars per 12 seeds.

Now what I am thinking is, I could spend up to 12 months out there (in nepal, india, laos andmaybe yunnan in china) and go on a seed collecting mission. I could mail the seeds to a friend in the UK and get them in refrigeration.

What i am trying to guage is what do you good people in ICmag think about this... would there be enough people that would like to have these ancient land race un tampered-with genetics?

It would be fun to do even if I didnt make much money from it (searching out landrace strains in asia) and I could possibly expand to african landraces aswell. but just to be clear it would be primarily himalayan area to start with

something people would buy into or bad idea?

I

Iron_Lion

GHS has already been there and done that. They took the landraces and gave back some dutch fems, so the pool has been pissed in. There was some ganja grower way out in the middle of fucking nowhere in india that had a handful of color coded GHS fem seeds even before they got there, so India has been infected by dutch before they even got there.

I'd check out Strainhunters India, if you can get past the bobblehead it is an interesting video to watch.

It would be a cool trip, just do it.

L

longearedfriend

yes but the 50$ seeds have probably been worked on, stabilised genes (maybe)

I am not sure if you could sell your seeds for that much

man hard to believe that the country could have been infected like you say iron lion

what a shitty move... but still I believe that through searching you could still find..

there are definitely land races left out there I believe

NOKUY

Veteran
get sum junkers...then self-cross, then select select phenos (then hype them as f1's) ...seed selling 101

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
People usually say yes to wanting them, but it seems like landraces never really move quick.

People seem to expect at least relatively stable seeds most of the time. they also want something thats going to grow well in an indoor environment.

This doesn't seem to work out a lot with pure landraces. Others can see the advantages of unstable landrace seeds, but its tough to build a market off it.

Bottom line: Awesome idea. Don't collect them to sell them. Collect them to find, and maybe preserve, something really interesting. Bonus if people want to buy them later.

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i doubt many, if any will buy them but it would be a cool super cheap server fund and freebie offer.

I don't doubt that the gene pool has been polluted, but id imagine that somewhere on the content there is unspoiled pockets of pure genetics, I mean there are still wild patches of hemp in many places of the world.

have fun on the trip. id like to do this, but wouldn't expect any money from anyone without doing a lot of breeding work, not just collecting seeds

peace

Mediaeval

You're more likely to find untouched landraces in Africa than Asia, though it's wroth checking out PNG if you end up in SE Asia.

Latest posts

Latest posts