What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PNW-Cali people....SunnyD needs your help!

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
I need to relocate. No b/s.
I could really use some help in knowing where is a good/GREAT place to live.
I am self employed.
Currently in B.C.( I fucking HATE IT)
Please PM me if you can spare a little time/knowledge, with regard to lifestyle, economic, herb laws, etc.

Thanks,
SD:thank you:

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some people already living there may disagree i believe for selfish reasons and outsiders might catch flack from locals their but, the emerald triangle is a good choice you'd likely be little fish in a big pond. the laws are fairly lax and there are just so many people doing it enforcing the laws become difficult anyways. just do some research on the laws in Humboldt, Mendocino and trinity counties.

peace,
Infi

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds like Santa Barbra for you; If you can afford it. it is one of the nicest cities in the world hands down. Santa Cruz for or San Diego would be good for you also my friend.

supermanlives

Veteran
san diego is nice in areas.lots to do . got to deciede between city living and the boonies.its easy to get a rec anywhere. with this economy i like the city as i can walk anywhere i need.

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
your looking to stay on the west coast or move anywhere in the u.s.?
I think west coast, I like the scenery and the weather, the center is too hot/cold, and the east, well, I've been there.

some people already living there may disagree i believe for selfish reasons and outsiders might catch flack from locals their but, the emerald triangle is a good choice you'd likely be little fish in a big pond. the laws are fairly lax and there are just so many people doing it enforcing the laws become difficult anyways. just do some research on the laws in Humboldt, Mendocino and trinity counties.

peace,
Infi
I have done a bit of poking around there. What is the local culture like, is it hillbilly types or is it civilized? I am reading in your message the local folks may not like "outsiders"?

sounds like Santa Barbra for you; If you can afford it. it is one of the nicest cities in the world hands down. Santa Cruz for or San Diego would be good for you also my friend.
Is it hot there(heat sux) Also, expensive in what way?

san diego is nice in areas.lots to do . got to deciede between city living and the boonies.its easy to get a rec anywhere. with this economy i like the city as i can walk anywhere i need.
How far away are the "boonies" and also, is it a hot climate?
Whenever I hear place names with santa or san, I always think of deserts and old Spanish missions.:tumbleweed:

Also, when a place is described as "expensive" how much per year is needed to live comfortably?

Thanks for the replies.:thank you:
If any body wants details, PM me, I don't really wanna spill my guts in the open forum.

S

SeaMaiden

To live in San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz areas (the developed coastal cities and towns of California) you would need to make about $70K to live comfortably, in my opinion. Some Bay areas, La Jolla, and San Marino (the rich section of Santa Barbara, which, if you've ever been there, seems to be a little redundant, but it's the truth) you'd want to make closer to six figures to live comfortably.

To me living comfortably doesn't mean just making rent, it means owning your property, being able to pay the taxes, not living hand-to-mouth (i.e. paycheck to paycheck) as well as being able to afford utilities (you'll just fucking DIE when you see what most Californians pay for electricity!) and some toys & perks.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bring a BUTT load of money with you compared to BC.......(I was born in Seattle, WA) oh and their are NO job's here, Yahoo is laying off 2,000 more in a month, gas prices (oh your ur going to LOVE this), I paid yesterday in Santa Cruz at a cheap gas station $4.19 and thats DOWN from $4.39 that it had been at..gotta love that "special" summer blend that ONLY California gets to pay for....oh as a final topper we have foreclosed homes, bank owened you know, the "cheap" housing here in Santa Cruz you cannot TOUCH anything less than $500K most over $750K......welcome to Cali!

Look not trying to burst your bubble cmon over if you can afford it, in the last year I have seen 3 couples come here, try and find jobs, start a business or "live the Cali lifestyle" all 3 couples ended up just spending a LOT of money to have to (in 2 cases) move back into their parents houses (yeck) and one couple just left the state and headed to Michigan after I showed them how much easier it wold be to start their, especially the "cost of living" in MI vs Cali.

California is an anomoly and not the state I came to love, it is now a "love / hate" relationship. My g/f who I have been with over 16 years is going to inherit her mothers paid off house and equestrian facility, I will get an decent inheritance from my father to be blunt, THAT is the only reason I stay in the state.

I honestly wish you the best, but make sure you know the real fact of what it takes to live here.

Peace!

NOKUY

Veteran
alaska all day...stay to the south part then ...not the north slope...then no worries about your fear of the dark.

...and lmfao about uncivilized ...to me thats a good thing!

sunnydog

Drip King
Veteran
Bring a BUTT load of money with you compared to BC.......(I was born in Seattle, WA) oh and their are NO job's here, Yahoo is laying off 2,000 more in a month, gas prices (oh your ur going to LOVE this), I paid yesterday in Santa Cruz at a cheap gas station $4.19 and thats DOWN from $4.39 that it had been at..gotta love that "special" summer blend that ONLY California gets to pay for....oh as a final topper we have foreclosed homes, bank owened you know, the "cheap" housing here in Santa Cruz you cannot TOUCH anything less than $500K most over $750K......welcome to Cali!

Look not trying to burst your bubble cmon over if you can afford it, in the last year I have seen 3 couples come here, try and find jobs, start a business or "live the Cali lifestyle" all 3 couples ended up just spending a LOT of money to have to (in 2 cases) move back into their parents houses (yeck) and one couple just left the state and headed to Michigan after I showed them how much easier it wold be to start their, especially the "cost of living" in MI vs Cali.

California is an anomoly and not the state I came to love, it is now a "love / hate" relationship. My g/f who I have been with over 16 years is going to inherit her mothers paid off house and equestrian facility, I will get an decent inheritance from my father to be blunt, THAT is the only reason I stay in the state.

I honestly wish you the best, but make sure you know the real fact of what it takes to live here.

Peace!
Gas is +4.90$ here , and I am trying to gather all the info-from real live people that I can!
To live in San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz areas (the developed coastal cities and towns of California) you would need to make about $70K to live comfortably, in my opinion. Some Bay areas, La Jolla, and San Marino (the rich section of Santa Barbara, which, if you've ever been there, seems to be a little redundant, but it's the truth) you'd want to make closer to six figures to live comfortably.

To me living comfortably doesn't mean just making rent, it means owning your property, being able to pay the taxes, not living hand-to-mouth (i.e. paycheck to paycheck) as well as being able to afford utilities (you'll just fucking DIE when you see what most Californians pay for electricity!) and some toys & perks.
That is not so bad. thanks!
alaska all day...stay to the south part then ...not the north slope...then no worries about your fear of the dark.

...and lmfao about uncivilized ...to me thats a good thing!
No fear of the dark, I just find it suks when the sun sets at3:45 for like half the year.
My work is in dentistry(not a dentist, though),so by "civilized" I mean people have to have teeth , and care about them!!!:biggrin:

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
F

Funion

Insurance pays more on treatment than pretty much any other state in the union...