What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Things our Kids Are Never Going to Know...

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
420giveaway
Knowing what a distributor cap,points and condenser are.

What it's like to untangle the cord on the telephone.

Waiting for your black&white tv to warm up.

For many, how to use a stick shift.

Watching TV stations sign off the air with the National Anthem.

Got any others?

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
the Test pattern after the station signs off.

how to work a TV with no remote.

And I am worried about: How to Think

O

OrganicOzarks

Ironically I am finding out that a lot of kids don't actually know shit about computers, and electronic devices. I am into these things a lot more than the average person, but the level of ignorance kids have today toward these things is very surprising. They have had them since day one, but when something doesn't go right they throw their arms up, and just give up. There will be money in fixing these kinds of things in the future.

C

Classy@Home

Few yrs ago my genius son (really, genius) was stumped by a rotary phone...

What it is like to settle a dispute with fists and an ass whooping instead of shooting and stabbing...

Absolutely...In my day you had a problem with someone you fought it out and walked away win or lose. Today people think its their right to act like an asshole and when they're called on it whip out a gun because they feel disrepected. They have no idea what respect is let alone how to just live peaceably with other people.

JustDoIt

Spelling words out (rather than abbreviations)
Blowing air into the old Nintendo console and game cartridges to clean 'em out...

Herborizer

Veteran
  • Focused thought. Not multitasking.
  • The mistery and respect of the unknown wilderness. Google maps type of services have removed the veil.
  • Being able to start over with a clean slate. Everything you do is in easy to access search systems. Made that stupid YouTube video when you were 12?, yeah that could be revealed in a job interview when you are 40.
  • The ability to feel comfortable discussing you beliefs without the politically correct people jumping all over you. Shoot, a football player can't even talk about his faith anymore without it making national headlines.
  • Owning items that last for 20,30+ years and even possibly passed down from one generation to the next. Things are not built to last anymore. They rather build it cheap, charge you more, and know you will be back soon to buy it again.

Last edited:
S

SeaMaiden

Good thread, lots of stuff here makes me go, "Yeah! and remember _______?"

Big big BIG one for me--how to heat up food if you don't have a microwave. My kids, in their 20s, have no conception of it. I remember once when we'd lost power and they freaked. How are we gonna reheat this food!? Um, in a pan, on the stove. They were completely flummoxed that you can do that.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
morals,, fidelity,, the value and quality of face to face interaction,,,

if people dont improve this shitty mess they may never know hope either,,