What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hygrozyme in rdwc... bad or good...?

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
well ive been googling this for over and hour now and i got about a 50/50 mix on this product in rdwc... some saying it caused there root rot others saying that it makes all there roots bone white and absolutely swear by it.... i like the stuff ive used it for years but have never done rdwc and when i seen some people say it create root rot i started to read up on it...

and what i found out is its about a 50/50 split can someone let me know the real deal with this product... its sold as a hydro additive that prevents root rot and all that so it seems wierd to me...

edit i found that there may have been a bad batch of hydrozyme a while ago that may be the cause for the negative comment but would still like to hear all and any comments...

Last edited:
FWIW....I have a friend that uses this in rdwc and loves it. The ones claiming root rot...I'm wondering what their dosage and environment is??? Hygrozyme's label is very specific about not going over a particular dosage, I believe it's 15ml/gal. I've seen it used at 5ml/gal with great results...nice bright white abundant roots. I've used it in coco with good results if that holds any bearing.

If using too much, I can definitely see the potential for rot, especially if RH is at it's max. I mean,,,it creates and supplies living bacteria: too much of a good thing is never good. Just ask Agustus Gloop.

I've watched your grows Poopy, you know your shit. Keep your enviro in check and start off with a low dosage, I'm sure you'll be please.

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
FWIW....I have a friend that uses this in rdwc and loves it. The ones claiming root rot...I'm wondering what their dosage and environment is??? Hygrozyme's label is very specific about not going over a particular dosage, I believe it's 15ml/gal. I've seen it used at 5ml/gal with great results...nice bright white abundant roots. I've used it in coco with good results if that holds any bearing.

If using too much, I can definitely see the potential for rot, especially if RH is at it's max. I mean,,,it creates and supplies living bacteria: too much of a good thing is never good. Just ask Agustus Gloop.

I've watched your grows Poopy, you know your shit. Keep your enviro in check and start off with a low dosage, I'm sure you'll be please.

thanks for the response i would love to here of other people's inputs as well....

couchlockd

never had negative affects using hygrozyme, i use at 8-10ml per gallon as recomended, i never use near 15ml per gallon though, unlimited shelf life, cant be beat.

i cant remeber where i read it, but i read that it was a good idea to use a nice lighter enzyme formula at half strength, and a darker enzyme formula like cannazyme or sensizyme at half strength, use half strength of each together.

PoopyTeaBags

Veteran
was it me or did hygrozyme and hydroguard have problems together???? its now renamed aqua shield but i think its still exactly the same product can i use these together???

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I've never used it but the root rot sticky is full of people saying it gave them the rot. It might be improper storage or an expired hygrozyme causing these problems?

I use 1-2ml/gal bleach in my res to run a dead res. Little leaves and particulates don't rot in my res. Water stays clear and plants seem to love it. Can't run bennies either though!

HUGE

Veteran
Hygrozyme causes a huge algae bloom whenever I use it in my ebb & flo res. I've tried 2 diff bottles and it is almost immediate add hygrozyme next morn airstomes are covered in slime.

highonmt

Veteran
Hygrozyme causes a huge algae bloom whenever I use it in my ebb & flo res. I've tried 2 diff bottles and it is almost immediate add hygrozyme next morn airstomes are covered in slime.

I had root rot and hygrozyme seemed to make things worse. I also developed an algal bloom in my system which I theorize is the result of the enzymatic digestion of dead plant matter. I'd wager it is this digested protien on which the algae feast...any way bleach at .25 ml gal keeps things clean...
HM

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
I've never used it but the root rot sticky is full of people saying it gave them the rot. It might be improper storage or an expired hygrozyme causing these problems?

I use 1-2ml/gal bleach in my res to run a dead res. Little leaves and particulates don't rot in my res. Water stays clear and plants seem to love it. Can't run bennies either though!

I had root rot and hygrozyme seemed to make things worse. I also developed an algal bloom in my system which I theorize is the result of the enzymatic digestion of dead plant matter. I'd wager it is this digested protien on which the algae feast...any way bleach at .25 ml gal keeps things clean...
HM

bingo!

i say dont use it...i have 0! experience in RDWC however i used coco and hygrozyme and cant say it did anything for me....a waste of money IMO...one of my girls was in a pot with a large salad bowl on the bottom to act like a bobo wick....well i had to cut the lights one day mid day and the humidity obviously went up....this plant was feed regularly with hygrozyme and it developed root rot....mainly ON MY PART for leaving solution in the bottom of the bowl for the roots to just sit in unoxygenated not transpiring.....sooooo WHAT IM GETTING TO IS....

even with hygrozyme i developed root rot...so by no means does it prevent root rot thats BS....i bought 1 bottle used it.....and will NOT buy another ever again....i say just use CHEAPO SIMPLE GOOD OLE H2O2!....this probably prevents root rot better than hygrozyme!! anyone agree????!?!?!?

currently running sterlie RW blocks and use H2O2 every time.....no root rot, however not the same situation as when i got it that one time...but i say the alternative to hygrozyme is just good ole hydrogen peroxide...use that instead...cheaper and has the same effect.....

and whenever i goto type hygrozyme i always type hydrozyme and go back and delete and retype it lol anyone else do this????? lol

people stating they use bleach...ive seen posters condone this before and by no means do i have any more experience in the game than them but just to state a fact....IMO i wouldnt use bleach because i personally dont like the elements your adding to the mix...the chemical composition of bleach is NaOCl......think about it....do you really want to be adding extra sodium and chlorine to your nutes!?!? i dont!

i throughly condone H2O2...do you want to be adding hydrogen and oxygen to your nutes....YES...fact.....

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
people stating they use bleach....do you really want to be adding extra sodium and chlorine to your nutes!?!? i dont!

why not? its already in our tap water.....

i throughly condone H2O2...do you want to be adding hydrogen and oxygen to your nutes....YES...fact.....

within 12 hours, its already gassed out of the nutrient solution, rendering it useless.....

waste of money.

LOL straight to the point huh....but I AGREE

but krunch....your the vet so i can agrue against you man....

and yes i do use tap.....that i let sit out for 48+ hours to gas out the chlorine....i no that the sodium doesnt come out

so im not arguing with u in the slightest bit but that extra sodium, from bleach, isnt going anywhere.....

and im going to play the devils advocate against myself here....the amount of bleach that users r stating that add is sooo minimal that it is practically a minute(mi-noot) amount of sodium that it really doesnt matter huh??

but krunch dont you prefer h202 over bleach???

Latest posts

Latest posts