What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When is a male mature enough?

Hello all.

I'm just wondering when male pollen is mature enough to pollinate females with. 2,3,4 weeks after being able to sex the plant? A while ago I read somewhere that the pollen isn't fully mature and viable until it's been flower for x amount of time, unfortunately...I can't find where I read that.

I did do a search here in the Breed Lab for this, but to no avail. So if someone has an answer...great. If someone knows of a specific post...great. Just need to know. First time attempting to pollinate on my own so any insight would be top notch. Thanks everyone.

GT.

S

SexInTheCity

well..when pollen is released from le sacs, it can be "cut" and stored, stored or used right away...sometimes with making female seeds I've had some dud pollen and some other weird things but usualy it becomes mature after it is released to my understanding I don't really understand the question but I hope this helps. peace ;-)

S

stratmandu

I have not heard that theory before. In my experience (Doh!) with a male that I found late, after only a few of the first pods had opened seeded a whole friggin' patch.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Soon as the first flower opens the pollin is ready. Pollin from one flower is enough for hundreds of seeds. Consider cutting all other flowers off a few days before so that you can collect pollin from just one without any accidents.