What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LimeWire Shut Down by Court Order

I

InvisibleEmpire

http://torrentfreak.com/limewire-loses-court-battle-with-riaa-shuts-down-101026/

The Gnutella-based download client LimeWire has ceased all its operations after a U.S. federal judge granted a request from the RIAA. Limewire was ordered to disable all functionalities in the current application to prevent users from sharing copyrighted material. The verdict is expected to have an unprecedented impact on the P2P file-sharing landscape.

Well we all know the battle here...buying software & music legally vs downloading 'illegally'. I personally feel that 'copyright infringement' is a relative term and that if music and movies were priced fairly and actors and actresses didn't make 10-100 million a movie (which inevitably causes the dvd or blu ray to go for $20-60) I would buy the stuff legally. I can understand downloading & reselling but downloading for strict personal use should be completely open and free in my opinion and if the corporations (MPAA, RIAA) don't like this they should invent a technology that isn't so easily broken, hacked, cracked and exploited.

Aside from my own personal opinion the government is stepping in and attempting to tell us what we can & can't distribute on the internet...this is unprecedented and is only beaten by the shutdown of Napster back in the day. Internet 2 and other regulatory measures are being considered, I hope this isn't the first step towards a tyrannical, dictator-controlled internet (see: COICA act)

I

InvisibleEmpire

very true, torrents are what i use primarily anyway...i only used it when i wanted 1 song or something...

they should invent a technology that isn't so easily broken, hacked, cracked and exploited.
Yep...THEY already did. It's called HDMI. Ya probably nothing new to most, but what most don't realize is the fact that ALL analog signal flow will stop soon. Soon you won't be able to find a DVD/BR player, SAT or cable box with component(RGB) or composite outputs. These are analog. They are trying to do away with these and make HDMI the standard for all. Reason being is via HDMI it's all protected. I have a good amount of experience in high end video distribution, and dealing with distributing HDMI...well lets just say it can be complicated. They want to make HDMI the standard. The release of the HDMI interface was touted to be the best for HD viewing and that you should use it for best picture and sound quality. However, what they didn't inform everyone about was the fact that they employed HDCP(High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) into the HDMI interface. HDCP has made the video distribution a bit more involved. As always THEY have an additional agenda that we...as the consumer...were not privy to up front. It has already been confirmed to me, from a number of credible sources, that analog will be going away, and HDMI will be the standard.

A good little snippet about HDCP.

HDCP
High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. Developed by Intel, HDCP is an authentication system designed to protect copyrighted audiovisual content. Most HDMI-enabled and DVI-enabled devices also employ HDCP.

****Source: http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/glossary.aspx

The caveat to this....were there are preventative measures to stop humans from doing shit They don't want us to do...there are those that can and WILL find a work around. So even though nifty HDCP is out there, someone will crack.
The cycle will continue.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
this doesn't just kinda reek.
COICA and all the other bullsh*t laws are the glue that holds their world together.
When I purchase some music or a movie on disc or other media, I OWN it. If I choooe to share it with others that is my perogative. F' those who claim it belongs to them eternally, its in my abode, under my control. ESAD(eat sh*t and die)!!! The US government is protecting corporate interests instead of constituent interests.

I

Iron_Lion

Hail Mao!
mao-zedong.jpg

LastWaltz

Yep...THEY already did. It's called HDMI. Ya probably nothing new to most, but what most don't realize is the fact that ALL analog signal flow will stop soon. Soon you won't be able to find a DVD/BR player, SAT or cable box with component(RGB) or composite outputs. These are analog. They are trying to do away with these and make HDMI the standard for all. Reason being is via HDMI it's all protected. I have a good amount of experience in high end video distribution, and dealing with distributing HDMI...well lets just say it can be complicated. They want to make HDMI the standard. The release of the HDMI interface was touted to be the best for HD viewing and that you should use it for best picture and sound quality. However, what they didn't inform everyone about was the fact that they employed HDCP(High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) into the HDMI interface. HDCP has made the video distribution a bit more involved. As always THEY have an additional agenda that we...as the consumer...were not privy to up front. It has already been confirmed to me, from a number of credible sources, that analog will be going away, and HDMI will be the standard.

A good little snippet about HDCP.

HDCP
High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. Developed by Intel, HDCP is an authentication system designed to protect copyrighted audiovisual content. Most HDMI-enabled and DVI-enabled devices also employ HDCP.

****Source: http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/glossary.aspx

The caveat to this....were there are preventative measures to stop humans from doing shit They don't want us to do...there are those that can and WILL find a work around. So even though nifty HDCP is out there, someone will crack.
The cycle will continue.

We cracked this a long time ago. Copyright protection is a joke, Blue Ray is digital, all connectors have converters (yes analog to digital and reversed).

"ALL analog signal flow will stop soon" The majority of the worlds population, that aren't even close to this point yet.

Last edited:

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i was more upset when they banned the browsing of torrents on isohunt, i mean i can still search so it isn't so bad but i liked looking for new things i didn't know about.

im a mega torrent junkie. the way i see it, i have given enough money in my life to cds and dvds, not to mention the ever raising price at the theater. Now i only pay for music and movies i truly feel deserve the money. too many pricks with fat pockets

Ca$h

i was more upset when they banned the browsing of torrents on isohunt, i mean i can still search so it isn't so bad but i liked looking for new things i didn't know about.

im a mega torrent junkie. the way i see it, i have given enough money in my life to cds and dvds, not to mention the ever raising price at the theater. Now i only pay for music and movies i truly feel deserve the money. too many pricks with fat pockets
I use torrentz.com

I used to download limewire pro for free and use it... but the new versions opened up so slowly I quit using it years ago

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Well, they haven't shut it down yet...I just checked, and mine works fine-- I use an older version tho...4.14.1

I

icon

I use the older version too its faster & seems to be less strict in your searches.