What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wiring my fan and speed controller

powderful

Hey folks!

I got a speed controller for my fan as it was a little overkill to use it at full speed for seedlings under 250w (dimmed down from 600w till they grow a little)

I am at a loss when it comes to the wiring though and was hoping someone could help.

This pdf is what was provided for the speed controller: https://bilder.designbelysning.no/Speedcontroller.pdf

I see no mention of the capacitor in the pdf which made me scratch my head pretty hard :dunno:

This is what it looks like inside the box on my fan:

What it looks like to me, the electrical noob:

FAN: Yellow(-), Yellow/green(ground), blue, red(+)

Power: Green(ground), white(-), black(+)

What is listed in parenthesis is my guess at what the different wires represent.

OldPhart

Hey folks!

I got a speed controller for my fan as it was a little overkill to use it at full speed for seedlings under 250w (dimmed down from 600w till they grow a little)

I am at a loss when it comes to the wiring though and was hoping someone could help.

This pdf is what was provided for the speed controller: https://bilder.designbelysning.no/Speedcontroller.pdf

I see no mention of the capacitor in the pdf which made me scratch my head pretty hard :dunno:

This is what it looks like inside the box on my fan:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=73606&pictureid=1754622&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

What it looks like to me, the electrical noob:

FAN: Yellow(-), Yellow/green(ground), blue, red(+)

Power: Green(ground), white(-), black(+)

What is listed in parenthesis is my guess at what the different wires represent.

FAN: Yellow(neutral),
Yellow/green(ground),
blue (CAP),
red&cap (Line)

Power: Green(ground),
white(Neutral *ACN*),
black(Line *ACL*)

That is the way I see it. I cant seem to find any other documentation on the fan controller, but from the cheesy diagram on the back of the controller, the only wire you would alter is the *line* So you would disconnect the incoming power (black) from the cap/red wires. then connect the incoming black wire to (ACL) on the controller. Then connect the cap/red wires on the fan to the (fan) terminal on the controller.

Good f'n luck.. when I see instructions in poor ring-rish, that suggest trial and error: it doesn't instill much faith that it is going to work.

PS: don't alter how the capacitor is hooked up.... it needs to stay with one lead to the blue wire, and the other lead to the red wire. The speed controller won't alter this.

Last edited:

powderful

I hooked it up with the black wire to the *acl* and the red/cap to the *fan*.

It gives of a slight hum which gets slightly louder at the lowest setting and the controller doesn't really slow it down all that much so I might just invest in a smaller fan that I can use during early veg.

The local hydro store has a 350m3 can-fan that would work a treat

Thank you for the help :tiphat:

OldPhart

That sucks, doesn't surprise me a lot though. I've tried several different speed controllers, and didn't care for the side effects of any of them. From buzzing, to not 'cold' starting, to motors running hot, to high amounts of RF..... I know a lot of people have good luck with speed controllers, but I guess I'm just too picky, or have just had bad luck???