What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advice to grow in soil with leds

carlo87

Hi guys, as soon as possible I will start my firts cycle in soil with leds, I'd like to ask you some advice about watering practice and nutrition. Those of you using the LEDs can tell me how you rule with the irrigation and administration of nutrients? I suppose plants will breathe less than lighting with HPS, so I guess it will get water with less frequency. Is it still necessary to water until to have some runoff? Regarding nutrition, it is advisable to reduce the frequency of administration, including organic cultivation?
I thank you if you will help me clarify these doubts.

Floridian

Veteran
The only real difference I can imagine is that LED's run cooler than HID's,only for that reason would you need to water less frequently than with HID's.I should tell you I've never grown with LED's though I just don't see where it should make a difference in amount of fertilizing or watering practices except for ambient temps like I stated earlier.If you've grown before using HID's you know all the good shit,start off in a small container and transplant up when the plant grows into it,water until runoff,different ferts use differing amounts and frequencies of use,I wouldn't think any of that would change because of the light source.

M

meowmeowmeow

No fitered answers

No fitered answers

***Disclaimer*** I form my opinions, ways and methods by what I have experienced myself. I have grown with HID, MH, LEDs, T5s etc....I thank you. :tiphat:

Those of you using the LEDs can tell me how you rule with the irrigation and administration of nutrients?

First off I believe there are absolutelty no set standards.
This is something 'You' as a grower set for yourself.

I suppose plants will breathe less than lighting with HPS, so I guess it will get water with less frequency.

Incorrect. The total sum of enviromentals factors in with this.
I use fabric or smart pots, so the oxygen flows more freely, hence unlike plastic I have to water more frequently.

Is it still necessary to water until to have some runoff?

Up to you. If you want to water every 5 days or drench. I have to reset or reconsider my watering methods numerous times during the life of a plant.

Regarding nutrition, it is advisable to reduce the frequency of administration, including organic cultivation.

Think. Companies want to use as much of their shit, so you go buy more.
All depending on the nutes (organic or synthetic) I adjust my use and also how the strain reacts to such regiment.
I've banged my plants with Organics and it shows a little burn, but not as bad as synthetics or 'salts'.
All in all less than the required or perscribed dosage is better for me.

In the end you have to determine what the best coarse of action is best for your plants.
Honestly take the time to search this board and READ.
You will find what you are looking for if....you are not lazy.

Just remember to have fun amd enjoy growing. :biggrin:

truck

i'm using L.E.D.'s in a grow room. You just let the room temp run at 78-82. It just way easier to lock in a perfect temperature differential of highs and lows which makes a more efficient grow and less shock to the plants and less hot spots in a room which is common with HID lighting that no amount of AC tonnage will take care off. Its has been my observation the easiest grow as far as environmental conditions and way less added equipment to cool the room way and less electrical load. You may actually have to heat the room at times so you keep the there transpiration rate up. Focus on the environment and how it effects the growth rate of the plant and focus on that more than how you feed it. You shouldn't have to change much if you already know how to grow high yielding plants.

Don't let the room get any colder than 65-68 while the lights are off, this is critical especially when growing organically.