What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sourcing bulk amendments

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Curious if anyone here has experience sourcing bulk amendments? I'm talking tonnage for amending very large quantities of soil. I have been looking at Alibaba but I am trepidatious about ordering such large quantities with no way to verify quality, obviously stateside suppliers would save me money on shipping and potentially allow me to check out the materials prior to purchase. Any advice is greatly appreciated

KIS

What are you looking for exactly and in what quantities. Some amendments I would be a bit concerned about ordering from China, as they have less regulations around quality and heavy metals, pesticide or herbicide residues, antibiotics, etc...

oceangrownkush

Veteran
What are you looking for exactly and in what quantities. Some amendments I would be a bit concerned about ordering from China, as they have less regulations around quality and heavy metals, pesticide or herbicide residues, antibiotics, etc...

Crab shell meal, alfalfa meal, dry molasses, kelp meal, blood/bone meal, seabird guanos, sul-po-mag/langbenite, azomite, dolomite, gypsum, oyster shell flour

Found some good prices on crab shell meal from CN not so much on the minerals, those I found more locally. You think crab shell meal from China could be tainted? Like with solvents or something? It's cheap but not cheap enough that I could throw it all away and not be upset haha.

Any ideas on stateside suppliers for large quantities?

KIS

I would look for a source that is certified organic here in the US, you'd be surprised how even the simplest things from China can get tainted or have poor quality standards.