What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chillum?

Spaventa

Veteran
Ive never even tried one but like the idea of a joint without paper.
Is that what they are like? is it like puffing on a big fatty?

Any buying tips? what kinds are best? Thanks

Stan G.

Chillums are great for hash and herb. They are good for quick tokes. I prefer mine around 4 inches long with a big bowl and medium hole. Smaller holes are better for hash, with bigger better for flower. Both with screens.:woohoo:

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
A real chillum as used throughout India etc is made of clay, you should be able to get your thumb in the "bowl"

It's like nothing else, done properly you should be able to inhale the smoke from 3-4 gms of weed, often mixed with hash in one hit ....if you've never done it before sit down when you smoke it or you'll fall over

Last edited:

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Most of the modern glass chillums are kind of like big one hitters. You can just about stick your pinky in the "bowl" (your mileage may vary).

I love mine, especially now I'm using it with a screen, the dime-size ones. Love it.

This is what most people call a chillum today-
Piece-of-the-Week-Chillum-Pipe-assorted-glass.jpg

Spaventa

Veteran
OK thats great info guys thank you.
Im guessing that by going for a smaller aperture/tip you could take more, smaller hits off one load? I don't know.. is there something else that would give me an experience more like smoking a joint? I like smoking a joint for 20 minutes but would love to ditch papers. I use hemp fibre and acacia gum papers but still, id rather not. A pipe I guess, like the arabs chuff on for hours? I know there are lots of pipes but I thought they were all meant for big hits?

Bush Dr

Veteran
Yes those are toys compared to the real thing, but if it suits you fine

For spliffs Elements papers can't be beat, super thin rice paper and sugar gum or if you want to go real Jamaican old school, take the inner husk off a green corn cob then tease the film on the inside of the leaf out, dry it and it'll stick to itself

Spaventa

Veteran
I like the corn cob film method :) thanks I'll try that. Rice paper and sugar glue sounds interesting too I guess it add a sweetness?

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Yes those are toys compared to the real thing, but if it suits you fine

For spliffs Elements papers can't be beat, super thin rice paper and sugar gum or if you want to go real Jamaican old school, take the inner husk off a green corn cob then tease the film on the inside of the leaf out, dry it and it'll stick to itself

I'm not saying the ones I posted are real or authentic, but they are gonna be what they show you if you go into a head shop and ask about chillums.

Show us a picture of the real thing, I'd like to see what you're describing!:tiphat:

Bush Dr

Veteran
batsct03.jpg

This sort of thing, but this is from a headshop, so not that authentic, a 4" long chillum in India would be like a bottle neck

When I got my first one in Kashmir it was filled with fine herb and hash, traded it for 4 Camel cigarettes

They were made by taking a piece of clay and push a stick right through then carefully open a tapered hole up from end to end ....the fire screen was a small pebble of clay with 4 slots in that you just shook out to clear it

At the end of every day we'd put them in the embers of the wood fire and they'd be all cleared out in the morning, after a few weeks they'd been fired so often they were like porcelain

A fairly authentic chillum can be made with a carrot, cut the pointed end off, hollow it out then cut slots in the pointed bit and use it as a stopper ....I always use a rag wrapped around the base to catch flying embers

Elements papers taste of nothing, there's hardly any glue as rice paper will stick to itself, so easy to join ....good luck with the corn husk silk, you can join them up which how the farmers roll those 12" long 2" thick torpedoes

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Hey, this has been educational. A toast to the OP Spaventa and Bush Dr for the info on the origins. It would be great to hear from other people about chillums- recommendations, what to avoid. Also, tips on best using a chillum. Peace

Gelado`

Veteran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNlhGg9LM_M

Some anthropologists feel the chillum is the first pipe ever made, and it was first used for cannabis. India's had ganja far longer than it has had tobacco. You are supposed to press it to your head and praise Lord Shiva before the first hit and there is a ritual number of matches that you're supposed to use. You're also not supposed to put it in your mouth--it is considered a religious implement. That and not sticking it in your mouth prevents disease when smoking with other people, which I realized one day and thought was absolute genius! The cloth placed around the base can be lightly dampened to prevent it from burning.

I smoked with some Bihari guys in a vacant lot in Mumbai once and a little kid with a rudraksha bead on his arm came over with matches and lit the chillum for us (which was basically a mango leaf twisted to make a cone). Amazing experience!

I actually have a whole bag of fancy Indian-made Italian-style chillums that I was planning on selling; most in plain clay, but some with black polish on the outside. I should really put them up for sale.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Jellyfish that thing looks cool. Im hunting for that :)

I haven't tried one, but I looked at one in a headshop awhile back. They only had it in gold, which I thought looked crappy, but otherwise, it looked okay. Probably a pain in the ass to clean that curly thing in the middle.

Gelado`

Veteran
7Pipe reminds me of a glass blunt, but yes, I guess it kinda is a chillum. I was looking at one a few days ago myself!

Latest posts

Latest posts