What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long does Spinosad stay in plants?

FizzyB

Hard to follow the thread so I dunno if this is what you are referring to, but I heard the reason spinosad is on the do-not-use list is because it damages(kills?) bees, I think it's supposed to be harmless for humans?

My comment was directed at someone who said "Curious if manufacture says can be used up to day of harvest o fruits and vegetables why should it be of concern."

I'm not knowledge enough to comment on any pesticide in particular but certain pesticides react to being ignited that produce harmful substances. Certain pesticides, spinsoad for instance, can stick around for a couple months. That's why a product which says use on fruits and veges is OK doesn't necessarily apply to cannabis. Cheers

RoostaPhish

Veteran
The lab he used IS certified. They are ISO accredited, which is the certifying agency used for professional laboratories. Im not sure why he keeps claiming they aren't.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The lab he used IS certified. They are ISO accredited, which is the certifying agency used for professional laboratories. Im not sure why he keeps claiming they aren't.

I'm not sure you are addressing me. ISO accreditation does not really refer to lab accreditation. Accredited labs normally list their test protocols and the certifier/tester.

I should clarify that in addition to ISO 17025 there is certification of various standards and protocols by AIHA and possibly other certifying bodies.

Last edited:

RoostaPhish

Veteran
I was referring to KONY. And the lab is ISO 17025 certified. I work with many labs. And this is the accreditation that they strive for, and many dont have. The lab is called Pro Verde, it is out of MA/ME. I know KONY personally and i also know the lab techs, i have personally discussed his test results with them in person myself.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
My comment was directed at someone who said "Curious if manufacture says can be used up to day of harvest o fruits and vegetables why should it be of concern."

I'm not knowledge enough to comment on any pesticide in particular but certain pesticides react to being ignited that produce harmful substances. Certain pesticides, spinsoad for instance, can stick around for a couple months. That's why a product which says use on fruits and veges is OK doesn't necessarily apply to cannabis. Cheers
The other reason fruit and veggie recommendations don't work... cannabis is not a fruit or vegetable and absorbs/retains chemicals differently. Most fruits and veggies do not absorb pesticides, so the pesticide breaks down rapidly on the surface through exposure.

Cannabis is a sponge.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
This is a direct quote regarding the importance of ISO certification from the head scientist at Iron Labs in MI " ISO certification means you have a certified course of action for each process, with each and every step and variable, documented at each and every step along the way. It means your process has been validated by a third party of scientists. It is the only proof that anything you publish is valid. Other certifications can be more or less stringent." He goes on to state, "Orlap in Oregon is much tougher to pass. We have that certification out there for every test, it costs a lot of money and triples the work load for the scientists so many skip it. As long as you can pass one of the legit lab certifications you are considered a legit lab and a reliable source. You have the structure in place to be consistent with every variable and documentation to prove you follow that structure every time. It requires the logging of the data for everything in order to prove the science is accurate within the limits of reported error." Wheew, had to type that all out, couldn't copy/paste on my phone from a text.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Kinda going off topic here, but the info on Spinosad degradation under sunlight tells me that with night active thrips, one shouldn't spray plants in the morning. Wait until evening to spray to get the full effect.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a direct quote regarding the importance of ISO certification from the head scientist at Iron Labs in MI " ISO certification means you have a certified course of action for each process, with each and every step and variable, documented at each and every step along the way. It means your process has been validated by a third party of scientists. It is the only proof that anything you publish is valid. Other certifications can be more or less stringent." He goes on to state, "Orlap in Oregon is much tougher to pass. We have that certification out there for every test, it costs a lot of money and triples the work load for the scientists so many skip it. As long as you can pass one of the legit lab certifications you are considered a legit lab and a reliable source. You have the structure in place to be consistent with every variable and documentation to prove you follow that structure every time. It requires the logging of the data for everything in order to prove the science is accurate within the limits of reported error." Wheew, had to type that all out, couldn't copy/paste on my phone from a text.

Yup

PS. You never did state whether you were addressing me. If you were, then you are mistaken because I never stated anyone was not accredited (in this topic).
As stated in your quote there are various levels of accreditation.

Personally I like using labs which have a wide spectrum of capacities > e.g. potencies, plant tissue analysis, metals, soil, pathogens, direct microscopy, microbial DNA testing, etc.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Post 21 says i was reffering to KONY. First sentance. We know each other and discussed this last year. Iron labs does all those test that you mentioned, not sure if Pro Verde does all of them however.

Last edited:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I was referring to KONY. And the lab is ISO 17025 certified. I work with many labs. And this is the accreditation that they strive for, and many dont have. The lab is called Pro Verde, it is out of MA/ME. I know KONY personally and i also know the lab techs, i have personally discussed his test results with them in person myself.

Here's the ISO.
So, what were your conclusions?
Did you ever visit the Mass State Labs? Lets face it - Stuff Happens. That was 60,000 samples for 34,000 criminal cases with 1,100 incarcerations over nine years.
Are you involved with gas chromatography equipment or Pro Verde?

Regarding the thread topic, Sinosad, the ISO Microbiological certification is for E. coli, Salmonella, Total Coliform, Bile-tolerant gram negative bacteria, Total Yeast & Mold, and Total Aerobic. I'm not a microbiologist, but the bacteria identification looks pretty narrow.

Certain labs can assay down to 1 ppb (part per billion), and people want to disqualify any detectable amount.

However, there are acceptable limits from the EPA for pesticide amounts on food and for tobacco. (after pulling numbers from a US GAO report on levels in tobacco...)

Sum of cypermethrin and permethrin; Residue limit (parts per million): 3.0; Approved for nontobacco use(s): Yes.

or 3000 PPB

So, yes, there is a wide range from "detectable" to "acceptable maximum" and labs have been carving a market niche for the in between. They want all product tested (more profit to them) anything tossed out if detected (which would never be done on a food or tobacco) and no method where the labs are tested for accuracy.

Anecdotal evidence was done by one dispensary in a legal state that requires all cannabis be shown with lab tested amounts of THC. After being sent to 17 labs, they received 17 different results. varying from 16% thc to 24% thc. By that state law, they have to use the first result given back, which might be completely inaccurate.

17 labs - 17 different results? Good thing this isn't Rocket Science.

Last edited:

MediMary

Bump...
Trying to find a definitive answer on how long spinosad is detectable in lab results. Does anyone have any anecdotal experiences to share?