What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

anyone here into programming?

I appreciate the FACT that you can be intelligent, educated, and still smoke cannabis.
I love math, and I love programming. It is like solving a puzzle and who doesn't like to do that?

Does anyone here like to program? I am finding more and more cannabis users who are very talented at programming it seems to be part of the computer science culture.

Even if you don't know how to "program" you can still share your interest.

What kind of programming do you do? I dabble and try to bring programming into my work when I can.

that's cool man - programming can be helpful in all sorts of areas- I primarily just program for school assignments but am trying to start working on games. I am working on minesweeper right now writing in C with some C++ features. but also want to start working in unity which uses C#

Rick C-137

I'm a neuroscientist doing my PhD now so I haven't studied programming officially, but programming is super important for all science so I've recently been studying a bit in my own time.

It's pretty hard to get into initially though!

I'm a neuroscientist doing my PhD now so I haven't studied programming officially, but programming is super important for all science so I've recently been studying a bit in my own time.

It's pretty hard to get into initially though!

ya it can be hard to get into - but the challenge is fun. What languages are you going into? tutorialspoint.com is great. but I can offer a few recommendations for more specific languages.

wow that's really impressive! I went to school for nursing for awhile and although it wasn't for me and I am much happier in the area of computer science, I absolutely loved my anatomy course. When I learned about the CNS I was completely blown away. My professor had a PhD in the CNS and he really taught a lot more about it then the scope of the course. The brain has so many connections and is more then complex, a very interesting field of study to say the least.

What type of research are you doing? I probably wouldn't understand much but it would be cool to know.

Kozmo

Veteran
Do not myself but I hear the FBI is having trouble finding hackers and programers alike that don't smoke. FBI policy is you can't do that I guess... haha

Rick C-137

ya it can be hard to get into - but the challenge is fun. What languages are you going into? tutorialspoint.com is great. but I can offer a few recommendations for more specific languages.

wow that's really impressive! I went to school for nursing for awhile and although it wasn't for me and I am much happier in the area of computer science, I absolutely loved my anatomy course. When I learned about the CNS I was completely blown away. My professor had a PhD in the CNS and he really taught a lot more about it then the scope of the course. The brain has so many connections and is more then complex, a very interesting field of study to say the least.

What type of research are you doing? I probably wouldn't understand much but it would be cool to know.

Yeah man I love it, so many unknowns, so many secrets to uncover and then share with the world... I'm trying to learn Java because I want to get into Android programming, I have a few neuroscience based app ideas. But I heard Python is pretty much the best language to learn at the moment.

panckage

I stopped programming for the most part since I have gotten me/cfs. The brain fog is horrible. OTOH if i take a puff or 2 from a vaporizer I find my brain is good enough to program for 15min or so. Repeating this I can get a good hour of programming done. I wish there was an easier way to do this sort of microdosing

I stopped programming for the most part since I have gotten me/cfs. The brain fog is horrible. OTOH if i take a puff or 2 from a vaporizer I find my brain is good enough to program for 15min or so. Repeating this I can get a good hour of programming done. I wish there was an easier way to do this sort of microdosing

have you tried a small dose of an edible? I tried a 25mg dose and it wasn't too much but was enough and lasted a long time.

Yeah man I love it, so many unknowns, so many secrets to uncover and then share with the world... I'm trying to learn Java because I want to get into Android programming, I have a few neuroscience based app ideas. But I heard Python is pretty much the best language to learn at the moment.

I thought I responded sorry
SO just released a survey from professional programmers you might find interesting:

https://stackoverflow.com/insights/...ampaign=dev-survey-2017&utm_content=blog-link

it goes over most used and important languages/features/etc.
I had a good time going through that and learned quite a bit - javascript dominates in the survey overall.

I have no experience with python but I know it is a general language and can be used from microchips to games. Very useful imho - perhaps being a more general language is why it is so important to learn at the moment. My degree is sticking to c/c++ so I probably wont use it much. Doesn't mean it does not serve a good purpose. My degree is more specific and different places teach different things - I want to become a game developer and every company expects you to know c++, so that's the route I chose.

Java is close to c++ but the syntax is a little different and it is purely object oriented. Also it is an interpreted language - hence why so many machines run on it like atm machines and stuff. Lots of places teach using java - probably more then any other - it is a great language to learn because you will really fully understand object oriented programming and be able to use that in other languages. I think the reason why so many places teach it is because it is purely OOP - so you are more restricted and teaching the concepts/theory is easier.

I would love to hear your apps ideas!
unless you don't want to spill the beans :p

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Well, I have a Bachelor of Science in Computer science and over 15 years of experience programming. I have programmed games, websites, desktop applications, and medical devices. I learned to program while medicated, had long hair and Berkinstocks, and was anti social. Your typical programmer stereotype.

Well, I have a Bachelor of Science in Computer science and over 15 years of experience programming. I have programmed games, websites, desktop applications, and medical devices. I learned to program while medicated, had long hair and Berkinstocks, and was anti social. Your typical programmer stereotype.

Hi ReikoX - I am going to transfer to UC this fall as a junior and start working on my BS in computer science - nice to meet someone who has already accomplished this! When I started to learn programming (still in the process of learning) I had long hair but I recently donated it :biggrin:

what type of games did you make? I am starting to learn Unity and work on some projects of my own - I am just about to finish all the tutorials they have. I would love to make a FPS Moba - with a modern war weapon system. Where each battle you could level up (like a MOBA) - and build your character in different ways. You could unlock different guns with points you acquire from the match. So you could be a sniper and unlock sniper perks and weapons - or you could be a medic, etc.

Once again really nice to informally meet you - people like you inspire me to finish school and keep at it!

If I may ask, what are somethings in industry they don't teach in school that I could start to learn during this summer break. I appreciate you stopping by and sharing your experience!

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Hi ReikoX - I am going to transfer to UC this fall as a junior and start working on my BS in computer science - nice to meet someone who has already accomplished this! When I started to learn programming (still in the process of learning) I had long hair but I recently donated it :biggrin:

what type of games did you make? I am starting to learn Unity and work on some projects of my own - I am just about to finish all the tutorials they have. I would love to make a FPS Moba - with a modern war weapon system. Where each battle you could level up (like a MOBA) - and build your character in different ways. You could unlock different guns with points you acquire from the match. So you could be a sniper and unlock sniper perks and weapons - or you could be a medic, etc.

Once again really nice to informally meet you - people like you inspire me to finish school and keep at it!

If I may ask, what are somethings in industry they don't teach in school that I could start to learn during this summer break. I appreciate you stopping by and sharing your experience!

Nice to meet you too. I started learning to program at a very young age. My first " programming" was with a turtle graphics package called Logo. I learned the concept of loops and basic arithmetic. Next I started programming graphics on an Apple II-G. I took a break from it I high school and got into other interests (mostly smoking weed), though I would frequently use Q BASIC to do my math homework for me.

I got back into it my second year of college. I was playing lots of Star Craft and found some source code for my own server. I wanted to use it, so I took a class on C++ and fell in love. I realized I knew these concepts and things just clicked.

I made a few simple games, a Tetris clone, an interactive Rubio Cube, and a few visualization plug-ins for Winamp. All that was 20 years ago using OpenGL on Linux. I did a few things with DirectX and the XNA framework, I did some zombie infestation simulations and some flocking algorithms. Nothing that was a complete game.

What they don't teach you in school, I would say documentation. I spend the majority of my time updating documentation. That and meetings, you will not learn how to attend meetings, share ideas and resources, manage your time. One more thing, deadlines! In school it was easy, do assignment by end of week or whatever. In the real world it's more like, "how long will it take you to finish this project in two months."

Good luck to you, if it is fun for you it will be easy.

Nice to meet you too. I started learning to program at a very young age. My first " programming" was with a turtle graphics package called Logo. I learned the concept of loops and basic arithmetic. Next I started programming graphics on an Apple II-G. I took a break from it I high school and got into other interests (mostly smoking weed), though I would frequently use Q BASIC to do my math homework for me.

I got back into it my second year of college. I was playing lots of Star Craft and found some source code for my own server. I wanted to use it, so I took a class on C++ and fell in love. I realized I knew these concepts and things just clicked.

I made a few simple games, a Tetris clone, an interactive Rubio Cube, and a few visualization plug-ins for Winamp. All that was 20 years ago using OpenGL on Linux. I did a few things with DirectX and the XNA framework, I did some zombie infestation simulations and some flocking algorithms. Nothing that was a complete game.

What they don't teach you in school, I would say documentation. I spend the majority of my time updating documentation. That and meetings, you will not learn how to attend meetings, share ideas and resources, manage your time. One more thing, deadlines! In school it was easy, do assignment by end of week or whatever. In the real world it's more like, "how long will it take you to finish this project in two months."

Good luck to you, if it is fun for you it will be easy.

That was a really insightful comment! That is awesome you got to code on an Apple II, those are worth a hefty penny now a days.
Star craft was the first game I really got into - I loved it. I was young - still in elementary, but like 5-6th grade.

I want to start getting into graphics - cool that you used open gl my professor got his masters in graphics and made a unique sub-division algorithm that would turn a cube into a sphere and proved it actually turns into a sphere. He was showing me the algorithm it was pretty hard to follow.
I am having trouble with C++, there is just a lot to grasp.
I am going to get into effective by Myers over the summer. I know the basics like how to create a class and up to basic inheritance.
I started to tackled SFML to start some projects - but the semester took over.

Seriously that was a really helpful comment and I will keep that in mind. I am now going to reach out for help when it comes to meetings, I didn't even think of that but now I can see the importance. I literally have zero experience with that and I'm very glad you shared that with me. My professor this semester in data structure introduced us to documentation and specifications but didn't hold us to it. I don't know much about that either, like what would even go into documentation.
Thanks for that info because I really didn't know that and now I have somethings to learn.

I was going to school for nursing for a long time and it wasn't going anywhere. I decided to switch to computer science and it was something that really was (and still is) fun for me. I get the best feeling when I get something to work in unity (or in a console program for school).
Math has become a good friend of mine as well - I am in calc 3 right now and started at trig less then a year ago - I have straight A's and it has been super fun thus far - I have never had good grades! I brought a 1.6 GPA ( from nursing) to a 3.9. I was on academic probation and on the verge of dropping out and now I'm in highest honors. I don't know what brought me to this but I'm glad I found this new world (to me). Sometimes it gets challenging but the challenge is fun and it feels good solving problems. First time in my life I feel like I am doing something productive and useful. I also feel like this can take me anywhere because the possibilities in computer science feel endless.

I really appreciate you sharing that knowledge with me I couldn't thank you enough!

Kozmo

Veteran
Been lurking since the beginning of this thread. It caught my attention because of an article I read about the FBI having problems finding hackers/programmers(I personally don't know the difference) that don't smoke weed. This was days after my son in 5th grade had been busted compiling a list of emails of the three 5th grade classes at his school. He also figured out how to get the passwords for all of there individual accounts. This way he could go on websights not permitted and get the "bully's" that were bothering him in trouble. Not only would there Paramus find out but there computer privileges would be taking away.
Regardless of how it all went down(got caught because he was flexing this all to a girl and she tatted him out) or how I feel about this particular situation I was wondering if I could get him started young. He loves math, I know that much. Also he did all of this on his own and has no computer access at home. Although I have a iMac early 2009 computer he could use.
Any thoughts or questions? Most of what you guys mention is greek to me by the way.

Been lurking since the beginning of this thread. It caught my attention because of an article I read about the FBI having problems finding hackers/programmers(I personally don't know the difference) that don't smoke weed. This was days after my son in 5th grade had been busted compiling a list of emails of the three 5th grade classes at his school. He also figured out how to get the passwords for all of there individual accounts. This way he could go on websights not permitted and get the "bully's" that were bothering him in trouble. Not only would there Paramus find out but there computer privileges would be taking away.
Regardless of how it all went down(got caught because he was flexing this all to a girl and she tatted him out) or how I feel about this particular situation I was wondering if I could get him started young. He loves math, I know that much. Also he did all of this on his own and has no computer access at home. Although I have a iMac early 2009 computer he could use.
Any thoughts or questions? Most of what you guys mention is greek to me by the way.

sounds like he's a natural - but you gotta teach him to use his powers for good.

have him start making some projects and using tutorials online - go to stackoverflow.com if he needs help that's where the pros are.

sounds like he is still young so if he likes math have him take precalc and AP calc in highschool to get a huge head start in college. I had to start from the beginning because I didn't take high school serious at all. The most important thing I could recommend is teaching him the importance of school. This is one area where school will really help. With math teachers have masters degrees and a passion for teaching those who don't - the best way to learn math is to stay in school. Same with programming - every programming professor I have ever had has had a major influence on the way I see things and think. I think finding a professor or a mentor that can help shape and mold a young mind is invaluable. I hope for the best but if he is into computers now I can't imagine what could be possible at an older age.