What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tea/Foliar ingredients - best practices?

Levitationofme

I am unable to give you any advice beyond what you can give yourself for experimenting with these materials. Your idea sounds practical.

My only point about kelp extracts is that as observed microscopically in a liquid (water) they somehow retard microbial development. (not all brands examined) Even meal has a real slow-down effect. This does not relate to the direct plant effect/attributes of the product by itself.

Personally, I have experienced better results with less chemically processed materials.

Thank you

anurag

beach seaweed

beach seaweed

I have a question about Seaweed, and I think I can get some excellent answers from you.

I live near the beach, and I can easily collect the seaweed that
collects after tidal swings and or storms. At the moment I cant give you the exact varieties that wash up. I was thinking of collecting some bucket fulls, rinsing as best as I can and Mulching it with some organic matter from the yard.
The thought was to experiment on my wifes tomatoes first to see
if its beneficial. Not trying to be overly scientific, just trying to use whats around me instead of buying products.

Also interesting to me is the possibility of adding some of the other Wash-a-Shore stuff. Crabs, Clams, and of course the life that clings to all the seaweed I collect.

While I am not able to do any empirical studies and I will probably not going to have stuff analyzed I was curious what you thought about it.

Without arguing the purity of the Meals and Extracts and which one I think is better, I think they are 2 different ingredients based on one thing. The Meal is great for building soils and the concentrate great for mixing in foliars or liquid feeds. Each is probably better at what they were intended to be used as. I dont see it as a one is better then the other scenario.

Certainly each company that collects and processes these things are important links. Not everyone is trying to make great product, but everyone is trying to make money which can cloud the decision making process. Buyer Beware at all times.
Seaweed from the beach has been used for farming and as animal food for a long time. Where I learned gardening we would grab and rake it up above the high tide mark and let rain wash it. Then truck it to our gardens. The plants loved it. If you added it to a compost pile, it would take 3 to 5 years to break down. But, it does not need to be composted. Roots can be seen turning into it if it is chopped and mixed with the soil.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
...Personally, I have experienced better results with less chemically processed materials.

I agree, but for some reason, I have yet found a replacement for Dihydrogen Monoxide. My plants seem to love that stuff!

Lil morning humor....lol.

hyposomniac

Anyone put Actinovate in their foliars? I do outside.. Or did, looks like they were bought and the price is much higher. Seemed pretty helpful against mold. Can we make our own?

Last edited:
I've been looking for any info on the temperature the foliar solution should be.
My girls are outside so I figured cold like the rain works, but is there something more effective?

Thanks in advance

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
Something we did on our farm to try to prevent fungal pathogens like botrytis and powdery mildew was to apply an extract of Knot Weed concentrated watery extract once or twice during peak times for fungal activity.

knot weed recipe please?