What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fiddynut's indoor jungle

Fiddynut

Hey Fiddynuts, yeah i,an going to keep everyone in suspense till the beans arrive. I am not sure exactly what is coming, their is quite a bit of goodness from this particular member. I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I will share once "the eagle has landed " lol.

As far as work goes seems like someone must have removed the stick that was wedged in the bosses ass. He's actually speaking to me now. We have a new guy who spends the day watching tv on his phone. I walked by and he's watching "the voice" while he's using the drill press wtf. Kids these days are absolutely useless. Everyone has headphones on myself included, but watching tv while using equipment is taking it a little to far. Imho. Of course he's in my department, their are 4 guys not including the tv kid. We were talking yesterday, probably going to try to get rid of him after this big order I finished.

As far as your observation mabey the dry cycle allows the plant to open the pores more to release more smell. I have noticed in soil when things dry out that's when I notice a bump in growth.
Good afternoon Packerfan.

A little suspense in the jungle is a good thing. Pop_rocks had a super secret strain gifted to him a while back that he was keeping us in suspense about as well. We were even giving him a hard time about it and getting our detective hats on trying to figure it out LOL. Is "the eagle has landed" our first clue?

Yep lots of slackers at work here too. I try to just worry about the work I'm doing and let that shit sort it self out. It's always better working for someone who is cool and has reasonable expectations. Let's hope the stick stays out of the bosses ass.

I'm going to see if my observation about plant scent is just in my head or not. I know smell is subjective but now that I see a passable pattern I'll pay better attention and maybe do some s arching on the topic. I'm guessing that the increased growth you've noticed is related to the roots getting more oxygen when dry. I'm guessing that trait is more noticeable in coco due to the quick drying and more space for air in the media.

packerfan79

Veteran

A little suspense in the jungle is a good thing. Pop_rocks had a super secret strain gifted to him a while back that he was keeping us in suspense about as well. We were even giving him a hard time about it and getting our detective hats on trying to figure it out LOL. Is "the eagle has landed" our first clue?

Yep lots of slackers at work here too. I try to just worry about the work I'm doing and let that shit sort it self out. It's always better working for someone who is cool and has reasonable expectations. Let's hope the stick stays out of the bosses ass.

I'm going to see if my observation about plant scent is just in my head or not. I know smell is subjective but now that I see a passable pattern I'll pay better attention and maybe do some s arching on the topic. I'm guessing that the increased growth you've noticed is related to the roots getting more oxygen when dry. I'm guessing that trait is more noticeable in coco due to the quick drying and more space for air in the media.

My observation was with soil, coco is better when it doesn't dry out very much. That's why we get higher yields the wet dry cycle of soil is slower.

Fiddynut

My observation was with soil, coco is better when it doesn't dry out very much. That's why we get higher yields the wet dry cycle of soil is slower.

I think I get it. Coco has quicker wet/dry cycle and holds more air giving the roots more o2 and letting them grow more quickly and yeild more? Soil holds water and the roots may only get optimum o2 when it's getting pretty dry causing a small growth spurt? I've heard people talk about how the more perlite they put in the soil the better their plants seem to grow. I still have a lot to learn about these plants.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
as far as dryer conditions go i let my soil go dry in their last few days of life.
it would be interesting to do a side by side comparison and see if there is a difference between plant in moist soil/ plant in dry soil
"Anyone feeding plants at 800 ppm? Too much? Too little? Just looking for others experience and opinions."
keep in mind that if you are using good dirt, the soil itself has a decent amount of nutrients in it
the liquid plant food is just an amendment, or to correct minor imbalances.
i dont think 800ppm would be too hot in general, but thats something you work out between you and your girls.
you said they look nice and the pics are of happy plants
/if you really wanted to push them you could even up the EC, some plants can take a ton of feeding and grow accordingly
but i like to run light on the nutrients as far as feedings go; like i mentioned above, i let my soil do most of the work.
other mediums are very different because you have to add the nutrients.
i am interested in hearing what some of the coco crew run, like how many ppm do you veg at,same for flower?
how far have you been able to pushed your plants before seeing signs of overfeeding ?
that is crazy about watching tv and operating machinery
/and you just know that would be the kind of person who would cry the loudest when they got hurt on the job

Rodehazrd

Hey there Tribe,
I have some confusion about CEC and ion receptor sites. I stand in the wading pool and listen to the deep water guys say things like I wanted more but due to all the (usually names some element fe cu?) I don't have room for it.
How do I find out how much room I have and of course I want more. I know I need accurate numbers of a soil test to start but its just the concept I want to understand.
I know after three years of recycling media and adding more gypsum, lime and SRP each time I was feeding my headband at levels would have fried the same cut in straight unamended FFHF. I could have just finally reached a proper balance but seemed like the plants could take more into the system.
Could be even a blind hog finds the acorn sometimes,

Rodehazrd

The wet dry cycle you speak of is that really needed for plant health?
Sometimes I run my tubs with water in the bottom one and the top one just wicks up what is needed. It stays just moist all the time and keeping 3-4 gallons in the bottom is easy enough to maintain. It seems stressful to let the pot go dry.

Rodehazrd

Fiddynut

Good morning friends.

I hope everyone is well and all had good weekends. I had a lazy Sunday of day drinking and watching football.

@pop_rocks. I remember you mentioning that you let your plants get dry at the end to help them dry quicker after the chop. I've heard others mention they do it to stress the plants into making more trichomes at the end but this is controversial as to whether it works or not. I think your right a side by side with clones might give some insight and it would be easy to mesure something like drying time. Measuring strength of scent would be more subjective.
I don't want to fry these girls so I'm going light on the nutes. Until I see deficiency I'm going to stick with 1/2 strength nutes and try not to overdue the cal/mag. I'm also feeding to more runoff than on my last run as I think that that was part of the issue. With 4 girls my tent is packed and I don't really want them growing any faster or bigger. I feel like I need to be in the 'less is more' club. There just seems to be too many reasons to error on the side of caution. I'm not sure if some of my hermie issues in other grows were a result of me over feeding but it's possable. The only plant I know I pushed hard with nutes was the GB on the last round. I fried her but she still gave me some great buds. Now I look forward to not frying the girls I have.

@ Rodehazrd. That CEC stuff gets my head spinning too. I wish I had a better understanding of it. It seems like there are a lot of elements to get to know and also knowing how they interact with each other. It sounds like you've found something good in your soil mix and that's what's most important. Like you said it's all about reaching that proper balance and your plants love it. When I'm at the hydro shop today I'll be getting more fulvic acid. It's a great supplement and really opens up the calcium channels and is great for plants. I don't know all the science behind how it works but I've heard scientists explain it on videos. I'd love to know how all this soil science stuff works but until I learn it I have to just work at keeping my plants healthy.
I've been trying to be less extreme with my wet/dry cycles on this grow. I kept hearing how important it was to let the pots dry when I was just starting and I took it very seriously. It started to occur to me that maybe I was taking it a bit far and stressing my plants too much. Now I'm not overwatering but not letting them get too dry either. I tent to go to extremes before finding a happy medium.

Fiddynut

Update and pics

Update and pics

Greetings tribe.

Today the first set of cuts went into soil. These cuts were taken 2 weeks ago and set in rooter plugs using clonex gel. The top of my humidity dome doesn't fit so tight so the humidity was dropping off between misting of the dome 2x daily. I think this caused them to root nice and quick. A couple days ago I noticed my rooters getting dry and saw the cuts perk up after I watered the plugs. I didn't even have to slowly ween them off the dome they just don't need it anymore. All 4 plants are backed up with a rooted clone. These were cuts from the tops of the plants.

One week ago I took more cuts from each plant and put them in RO water in my bubble cloner. This is the first time I've used this cloner and I just want some practical experience with it. I used the bottom couple nodes of each of the four plants to get the cuts. Plants had been in flower for a few days when the cuts were taken. After just a week all of the cuts have roots or root bumps. Some have multiple roots close to an inch long. I took various sized cuts and they all seem to be rooting well, the biggest and the smallest have roots. The bubble cloner is really easy to use and if I get roots reliably I'm going to be using it a lot! I still have to experiment with when to transplant them into soil and how to transition them into living in soil. I'm stoked that this seems to be working so well.

packerfan79

Veteran
Greetings tribe.

Today the first set of cuts went into soil. These cuts were taken 2 weeks ago and set in rooter plugs using clonex gel. The top of my humidity dome doesn't fit so tight so the humidity was dropping off between misting of the dome 2x daily. I think this caused them to root nice and quick. A couple days ago I noticed my rooters getting dry and saw the cuts perk up after I watered the plugs. I didn't even have to slowly ween them off the dome they just don't need it anymore. All 4 plants are backed up with a rooted clone. These were cuts from the tops of the plants.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74345&pictureid=1792559&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

One week ago I took more cuts from each plant and put them in RO water in my bubble cloner. This is the first time I've used this cloner and I just want some practical experience with it. I used the bottom couple nodes of each of the four plants to get the cuts. Plants had been in flower for a few days when the cuts were taken. After just a week all of the cuts have roots or root bumps. Some have multiple roots close to an inch long. I took various sized cuts and they all seem to be rooting well, the biggest and the smallest have roots. The bubble cloner is really easy to use and if I get roots reliably I'm going to be using it a lot! I still have to experiment with when to transplant them into soil and how to transition them into living in soil. I'm stoked that this seems to be working so well.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74345&pictureid=1792562&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74345&pictureid=1792561&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74345&pictureid=1792560&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Looks like you are getting the clone game down from multiple angles. It's good to be experienced with multiple methods, cloning can be a pia. I have had horrific cloning failures befor where i had to change methods. It's like voodoo, all of a sudden rapid rooters stop working all together, then it was rockwool that was a pia. I have never used a cloner, I have to cut many clones for my methods. I would need a few cloners and they are pricey from what I have seen. Gotta love the color coded collars to keep strains organized.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
look at them go, fiddy!
those cuts look great for 1wk and you are about to be the proud paw-paw of a bunch of baby clones
the whole batch looks solid, did you cull any from the bunch?
that cloner was money well spent, heck it practially paid for itself right there!
i am in the 50% crowd too, fiddy
especially in soil, less truly is more

" The wet dry cycle you speak of is that really needed for plant health?"
great question, rode
i think a wet/ dry cycle does helps by encouraging a plant to spread out its roots in search of water as well as aeration of the soil
the only time i let my soil go completely dry is at the very end.
i will let it go from "really wet" to "damp" so to speak, but i try to avoid letting the bucket sit in water (its my understanding, container plants dont like wet feet)
so any plans this year for halloween, rode?
is it a popular holiday in your neck of the woods?

Fiddynut

Looks like you are getting the clone game down from multiple angles. It's good to be experienced with multiple methods, cloning can be a pia. I have had horrific cloning failures befor where i had to change methods. It's like voodoo, all of a sudden rapid rooters stop working all together, then it was rockwool that was a pia. I have never used a cloner, I have to cut many clones for my methods. I would need a few cloners and they are pricey from what I have seen. Gotta love the color coded collars to keep strains organized.
Good morning Packerfan.
I've had really good beginners luck with clones so far. 2/5 failed to root the first time I tried taking cuts and I've been 100% success after that. But like you said I've heard that cloning can be fussy and what worked last time might not work this time. I've read that people who had 100% success for years were, all of a sudden, unable to get anything to root. I want to learn a few more methods too so I can have more options to try when things arnt working out. I'm glad to have a couple methods that are working well right now.

If you are interested you can build a big bubble cloner DIY out of a Rubbermaid bin and a bunch of fish tank air stones and pump. The bigger the bin the more space I'd think you could build one that fits like 100 cuts. You'd have to buy the colored collars. Might be worth a try.

Fiddynut

look at them go, fiddy!
those cuts look great for 1wk and you are about to be the proud paw-paw of a bunch of baby clones
the whole batch looks solid, did you cull any from the bunch?
that cloner was money well spent, heck it practially paid for itself right there!
i am in the 50% crowd too, fiddy
especially in soil, less truly is more

" The wet dry cycle you speak of is that really needed for plant health?"
great question, rode
i think a wet/ dry cycle does helps by encouraging a plant to spread out its roots in search of water as well as aeration of the soil
the only time i let my soil go completely dry is at the very end.
i will let it go from "really wet" to "damp" so to speak, but i try to avoid letting the bucket sit in water (its my understanding, container plants dont like wet feet)
so any plans this year for halloween, rode?
is it a popular holiday in your neck of the woods?
Good morning pop_rocks.

I'm suprised at how quickly I'm getting roots with the cloner. I was hoping for good results but this is far better than I was expecting. If it keeps working this well I'll be sold on it for sure. Like Pack' said cloning can be touch and go and the more methods I have that work for me the better my chances will be long term. I still have a I learn to transition team into dirt but as long as that goes well I'm super happy with it. The first cuts that were in the rooters are doing well too. As they start to grow I can start to learn the differences between growing from clone and seed and how the plants differ in growth. I love leaning on the job.

I'm with you on keeping the nutes on the light side. Like you said your just supplementing the soil with the bottled. I've been to both extremes of under and over feeding, maybe I'm finding my happy medium.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
its like life friend, we can learn something new everyday!
loveing your results and wishing youthe best with the new cloner
the things a cut needs to root are air and water really, so your cloner checks both of tose boxes
great call on the rubbermaid container with an airstone
i tihnk once you have the roots its easy to transplant the cuts, but i could just be lucky
cloning is definitely a it or miss affair and it never hurts to take more cuts than you will need
glad to hear you are getting a better feel for feedings
nutrients are one of the hardest things to understand and you are definitely making progress!
keep up the great work,brother!

Fiddynut

its like life friend, we can learn something new everyday!
loveing your results and wishing youthe best with the new cloner
the things a cut needs to root are air and water really, so your cloner checks both of tose boxes
great call on the rubbermaid container with an airstone
i tihnk once you have the roots its easy to transplant the cuts, but i could just be lucky
cloning is definitely a it or miss affair and it never hurts to take more cuts than you will need
glad to hear you are getting a better feel for feedings
nutrients are one of the hardest things to understand and you are definitely making progress!
keep up the great work,brother!
Good afternoon pop_rocks.

This is a lesson I'm really enjoying learning. I'm going to put some of the rooted cuts from the cloner in some soil tonight and see what happens. Some of the roots are as long as the cuts like 4-6" at this point. I'm hoping they are ready but I'll find out. I'm going to take the one from each plant with the most roots and see how it adapts to being in soil. I'm also thinking about adding some nutes to the cloner and see how long I can keep cuts in there before they have issues. If they stay happy in there it might be a space saving way to keep some plants around that I wouldn't have room for in pots. Cloning was an intimidating part of growing for me but now that I have some practice it's really easy and I was intimidated for no reason.

Learning which and how much nutes to use has been the toughest part of learning to grow for me. There are a lot of grow methods but a lot of the basics like amount of light, temperatures, ect are something that are easy to reaserch and find some consensus on. Nutes on the other hand are so diffrent from grow to grow. There are so many choices and everyone seems to do things a little diffrent. It probably would have been easer to get on someone else's nute schedule, like a Lucas or something but I'm glad I've had to struggle and learn more about them. Still a lot to learn though.

Badfishy1

Well damn... seems I’ll have some LostShip x (ElectricLarryLand x Pink Bazooka) beans soon... oops guess somebody missed a male

Rodehazrd

Well damn... seems I’ll have some LostShip x (ElectricLarryLand x Pink Bazooka) beans soon... oops guess somebody missed a male
sounds like a nice cross you had a male or a hermie?
Hope the new babe is well, are you back to normal yet? What ever normal is

Rodehazrd

I think I get it. Coco has quicker wet/dry cycle and holds more air giving the roots more o2 and letting them grow more quickly and yeild more? Soil holds water and the roots may only get optimum o2 when it's getting pretty dry causing a small growth spurt? I've heard people talk about how the more perlite they put in the soil the better their plants seem to grow. I still have a lot to learn about these plants.[/QUOTE
well Fiddy the coco seems like too much trouble for a small op
I read about being able to run two different fertigation routines at the same time for maximum growth in a commercial application but I would dispute the ability to produce the quality of an organic bud.
and there's all that feeding and testing to see what to feed.
I will stay with my peat mix for now and continue to get into bigger pots for every stage. I started seeds in 6 in pots this time and only checked them every couple days. I was careful not to overwater and I have some of my best starts yet

Badfishy1

sounds like a nice cross you had a male or a hermie?
Hope the new babe is well, are you back to normal yet? What ever normal is

Lol @ normal! I’m not sure what it is anymore. So much has changed in life since that storm... I’ve been working out of town so life is hectic. But blessed that the family is doing well. No, wasn’t intentional cross, had a babysitter w power and the ELL was a male n dropped all over the female. Still an awesome plant just has some future fun lol