What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Happy to be here...finally

iBogart

Veteran
Florida committee decides Amendment 2 doesn’t include smoking, vaping, edibles

Bill also caps number of growers at the current number of seven, and maintains a 90-day waiting period for patients

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A bill to implement Florida’s medical marijuana constitutional amendment has passed its first committee in the state’s House of Representatives.

The bill (HB 1397) passed the Health Quality Subcommittee on Tuesday. It must go through two more committees before reaching the House floor.

Rep. Ray Rodrigues’ bill would largely keep in place the regulatory structure set up the past three years, including keeping the number of growers at the current number of seven, maintaining a 90-day waiting period before patients can receive cannabis and banning smoking, vaping and edibles.

Supporters of Amendment 2, which was approved by 71 percent of voters last November, say the bill goes against the spirit of the amendment.

The Senate is considering five bills before deciding on a consensus of where to proceed.

The Sun Sentinel reports that the bill sponsor, state Rep. Ray Rodrigues, R-Estero, said he wrote the bill keeping in mind the current federal climate.

“If there’s a robust regulatory scheme, the federal government will not put their resources into enforcing federal law,” Rodrigues said. “I believe this is a measured approach to faithfully implement Amendment 2.”

http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/03/...ulations-smoking-edibles/76278/#disqus_thread

Florida committee decides Amendment 2 doesn’t include smoking, vaping, edibles

Bill also caps number of growers at the current number of seven, and maintains a 90-day waiting period for patients

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A bill to implement Florida’s medical marijuana constitutional amendment has passed its first committee in the state’s House of Representatives.

The bill (HB 1397) passed the Health Quality Subcommittee on Tuesday. It must go through two more committees before reaching the House floor.

Rep. Ray Rodrigues’ bill would largely keep in place the regulatory structure set up the past three years, including keeping the number of growers at the current number of seven, maintaining a 90-day waiting period before patients can receive cannabis and banning smoking, vaping and edibles.

Supporters of Amendment 2, which was approved by 71 percent of voters last November, say the bill goes against the spirit of the amendment.

The Senate is considering five bills before deciding on a consensus of where to proceed.

The Sun Sentinel reports that the bill sponsor, state Rep. Ray Rodrigues, R-Estero, said he wrote the bill keeping in mind the current federal climate.

“If there’s a robust regulatory scheme, the federal government will not put their resources into enforcing federal law,” Rodrigues said. “I believe this is a measured approach to faithfully implement Amendment 2.”

http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/03/...ulations-smoking-edibles/76278/#disqus_thread

Mel Sember the addiction clinic owner is ruining it all. The Senate has a good bill they are looking at but the House is so jacked up.
I know they are all bribed but the house of representatives is at a new level

dddaver

Veteran
Our esteemed Dept of Health has determined only terminal patients diagnosed to be within one year of death qualify for mmj. That is not what Amd. 2 says. If my interpretation is not the case, could someone please enlighten this illiterate? Or is Florida Dept of Health breaking the law? It can only be one or the other. Either Amd. 2 says only terminal patients qualify, or they are breaking the law. Which?

dddaver

Veteran
Florida Republicans Squelch the Voice of the People

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/opinion/florida-republicans-squelch-the-voice-of-the-people.html

Florida voters who heartily approved important amendments to the state Constitution can only wonder how the will of the people is being strangled by the obstructionist toils of the Republican-led Legislature.
Lawmakers insist they are merely refining details for measures approved by voters on the environment, medical marijuana, solar power, education and anti-gerrymandering rules affecting their own districts. But it’s increasingly clear that legislators are trying to foil and blunt the ballot-approved initiatives.
In the case of the amendment to expand access to medical marijuana, approved last November by 71 percent of the voters, Republican lawmakers are proposing tighter rules on doctors’ prescriptions, as well as other obstacles for patients who want to use medical marijuana.

Similarly, a constitutional amendment to expand the use of solar power, which drew 73 percent approval last year, has been met by a raft of obstructionist proposals that would bog down rooftop solar installation. They include rules language drafted by the state’s major utility, Florida Power & Light. This isn’t healthy legislative give-and-take, as supporters claim. It is transparent homage to the powerful utility and its generous political contributions.

The anti-gerrymandering amendment, which calls for strictly nonpartisan drawing of legislative district lines, struck fear into politicians after 63 percent of voters approved it in 2010. It’s been marked by years of expensive, bare-knuckle resistance by a Legislature determined to draw the voting map in ways that favor incumbents.
Republican lawmakers now propose to dig in further by restricting the time period for legal challenges to new district maps. They would also subject judges who reject party machine maps to cross-examination during appeals — a move as vindictive as it is unconstitutional, and an insult to voters who approved a mandate for cleaner politics.
Other threatened initiatives include a land and water conservation amendment approved in 2014, designed to preserve open space and improve water quality. House Republicans propose to raid it for $22 million in subsidies to farmers, who are already well taken care of. A long fight to restrict class size in schools, which voters thought they had settled by amendment, also is being undermined.
Ballot initiatives can be an inefficient way to govern. But voters resort to them because elected officials will not act on issues the public cares about. And when these officials respond to the decisive voice of the people with regressive machinations, they should themselves be dealt with at the ballot box.

dddaver

Veteran
I went to the doctor this morning to get some blood drawn. They asked me if I wanted MMJ. I have cerebral ataxia. They said there was a one time charge of $390 for a card then $90 for some oil. Vaporization only. I said no thanks. The nurse said she believes the program is named tory?

Edit: The nurse apparently gave me false information. According to the FL Department of Health website a Compassionate Use Card is actually $75. A little oil for $90 sounds about right from these idiots here. And since I live in northern FL I think I'd probably have to go to Tallahassee to find a dispensary to buy the oil. That 'vaporizing only' thing is apparently true. My vaporizer only vaporizes flowers, but I don't care anyway. I don't want their garbage. Also, I have no idea what she was talking about saying "tory?" Whatever, absolute trash... the whole thing.

dddaver

Veteran
Medical marijuana that's smokable is being sold in Florida, despite objections :dance013::dance013::dance013:

Not sure I know what you mean. Do you mean there are dispensaries selling flowers? That might be worth getting a card.

But there has always been, and will always be, even if weed was legalized, a thriving black market in Florida. And any weed bought can be considered MMJ. It's not like there are specific, only MMJ strains. Although that's apparently what they want people to think. Like Charlotte's web. It's just a strain with high CBD.

But ultra conservative northern Florida, where the legislature is, is very different than the more liberal southern counties. Still I don't think any flowers are being sold at the dispensaries in Tallahassee.

Although that might be a good idea. Arrest them, then let the courts sort out if they should abide by the will of the people, or just let some rich fat cats just get richer. I think it would very likely come out in the people's favor. Let Morgan put his money where his mouth is and defend pro-bono. That might help his gubernatorial bid too.

dddaver

Veteran
I actually thought FL was leading the way of breaking this southern block and joining the 21st century with the rest of the country. So did 71% of voters. Boy, were we wrong.

The legislature here is not only ignoring the MMJ desires of the people but ignoring the overwhelming majority vote allowing for competition in the solar industry that we voted for.

Disheartening, eye-opening, reality check. They broke my bs meter. Pinged right off the dial.

Expect landslide losses during the next elections, if those are even counted right. :moon:

the senate bill was better the house bill was crap. Ben Pollar from florida for care and John Morgan had a falling out. Morgan wanted to keep the monoploy for the current growers. Ben wanted to cap store fronts to 5 a piece. Ben could also be playing us right into Rick Scotts hands as the Dept of Health will decide the rules.
Good thing is law suits will be easier since it's not law

dddaver

Veteran
That's all well and good dispensaries will open, but first you need a prescription and that alone is a huge expensive boondoggle.

Then this is copied from the FL Dept. oi Health website.
The medical use of medical cannabis does NOT include the following:

• The possession, use or administration of medical cannabis by smoking.
and then:

"A qualified physician may only order cannabis for a patient with a terminal condition that is attested to by the patient’s physician and confirmed by a second independent evaluation by a board-certified physician in an appropriate specialty for that condition"

So even a if bunch of dispensaries open, so what? And they still are deciding who can grow too. This is like the keystone cops at their funniest, all running around banging into each other. With nobody having a clue what they are doing.

Peripheral

That's all well and good dispensaries will open, but first you need a prescription and that alone is a huge expensive boondoggle.

Then this is copied from the FL Dept. oi Health website.
The medical use of medical cannabis does NOT include the following:

• The possession, use or administration of medical cannabis by smoking.
and then:

"A qualified physician may only order cannabis for a patient with a terminal condition that is attested to by the patient’s physician and confirmed by a second independent evaluation by a board-certified physician in an appropriate specialty for that condition"

So even a if bunch of dispensaries open, so what? And they still are deciding who can grow too. This is like the keystone cops at their funniest, all running around banging into each other. With nobody having a clue what they are doing.

Yeah at the beginning implementation is going to be disorganized, but as time and legislation moves forward, we will see it become more like it is out west, in fact, i think we will see it faster than they did..

iBogart

Veteran
https://www.thecannabist.co/2017/06/19/florida-medical-marijuana-law-rules/81887/#disqus_thread

By Joe Reedy, The Associated Press
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida health officials have issued their proposed rules to implement the state’s constitutional medical marijuana amendment.

The regulations that were released on Friday by the Department of Health pick up the framework from the bill passed on June 9 by the State Legislature during a special session. The Department last month outlined a procedure where it would give 15 days’ notice before adopting a new rule and the public three days to submit comments.

Under the amendment approved by 71 percent of voters last year, rules must be in place by July 3 and enacted by October. Florida Gov. Rick Scott has said he “absolutely” intends to sign the bill. Scott should be able to sign the bill ahead of the first deadline.
Department of Health spokeswoman Mara Gambinieri says the department is committed to working collaboratively with the public to establish a patient-centered medical marijuana program.
According to the Department of Health, the state registry now has 16,614 patients. A recent state revenue impact study projects that by 2022 there will be 472,000 medical cannabis patients and $542 million in sales.

Highlights of Florida’s expanded medical marijuana bill:

Conditions Covered

Epilepsy, chronic muscle spasms, cancer and terminal conditions were allowed under bills passed in 2014 and 2016. The amendment now includes HIV and AIDS, glaucoma, post-traumatic stress disorder, ALS, Crohn’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis and similar conditions.

Patients & Caregivers

Patients and caregivers must be 21 and over. If a patient is a minor, a caregiver must be certified. Both must also receive an identification card. Advocates still would like to see caregivers not subject to penalties if they have to administer marijuana in the case of an emergency.

No Smoking

Smoking medical marijuana remains prohibited despite public demand. John Morgan, the driving force behind getting the amendment on the ballot last year and passed, said the only place where smoking is banned is in public places and intends to sue.

Products

Besides vaping, medical marijuana products can be sold as edibles (as long as it is a food product and does not market or appeal to children), oils, sprays or tinctures. Vaping cartridges, especially whole-flower products, must be in a tamper-proof container.

Patient Supplies

Patients may receive an order for three 70-day supplies before having to visit a doctor again to get re-examined. A physician must recertify a patient at least once every 30 weeks instead of once every 90 days.

No Waiting Period

The requirement that a patient be in the care of a certified doctor for 90 days has been removed. The waiting period, which was a part of the last two bills signed by Gov. Rick Scott, came under more scrutiny when cannabis was extended last year to terminal patients. Also, the certification course for doctors has been reduced from eight hours to two.

Snowbirds Welcome

Seasonal residents –those who reside in Florida at least 31 straight days each year, maintain temporary residence and are registered to vote or pay income tax in another state– will be eligible to receive medical marijuana.

More Treatment Centers

There will be 10 additional medical marijuana treatment centers by October. Five will be awarded by August 1 to nurseries that were narrowly defeated when the original distributors were selected in December 2015. Of the other five that will be awarded by October, one will go to a group of black farmers with citrus growers given preference to two others. By the end of the year there could be as many as 19 treatment centers. There would be a cap of 25 dispensaries per medical marijuana treatment center. As medical marijuana patient registrations increase, new dispensaries will be added: four dispensaries per 100,000 patients.

New License Requirements Relaxed

Instead of a nursery needing to be in business for 30 years, any Florida business that has been operating five or more years and has a medical director on staff can file an application.

Growing Market

There is a cap of 25 retail facilities per medical marijuana treatment center but it allows for four more shops per 100,000 patients with that cap subject to expire in 2020. Four more centers will be licensed per 100,000 patients. The state forecasts 472,000 patients in five years.

No Sales Tax

There will not be a sales tax on medical marijuana products. (Florida does not tax other medications.)

Last edited:

Peripheral

Thanks for that informative post brotha, glad they wiped that 90 day crap...., Gotta ways to go but at least it seems to be moving forward...

iBogart

Veteran
Thanks for that informative post brotha, glad they wiped that 90 day crap...., Gotta ways to go but at least it seems to be moving forward...

We'll see how it goes. There will be issues of course. The thing that concerns me out the gate is this part:

The Department last month outlined a procedure where it would give 15 days’ notice before adopting a new rule and the public three days to submit comments.

Seems like "new rules" gives the department of health a way to change up the environment depending on which way the wind blows.

Latest posts

Latest posts